Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybride96 View Post
I was on that cruise and I in fact know nothing about navigational decisions. Perhaps this were the right decisions. I am no expert.
I chose to get on the ship knowing it would probably not be the best cruise ever. I trusted that the captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had. That storm slowed down over the Bahamas from what was projected. Had we stayed south and had a beautiful day at sea, people would complain that we didn't make a port.
You trusted the Captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had, as did we. He knew Sandy was hanging around the Bahamas, how was turning the ship around Friday morning and heading back into Sandy the best decision he could have made?

I believe there would have been far fewer complaints had the Captain kept us in the Gulf Friday so guests at least had been able to enjoy the cruise we did have (ie a cruise without ports) without being horribly seasick and thrown against walls and out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybride96 View Post
Now Saturday night was rough, but you have to cross the Atlantic Coastal Current sometime. Last night is always the most bumpy no matter what the seas. If we had stayed out longer, I'd still be in Florida trying to get a flight home and there would be a whole boatload of people sitting at Port Canaveral waiting for their cruise.
My daughter flew down from Boston for the cruise, and since we were fully aware that we were cruising during hurricane season, her return flight was scheduled for Tuesday morning, just in case.

Guess what? Her flight is one of the thousands cancelled due to Sandy. JetBlue sent an email letting us know her Tuesday morning flight was cancelled and rebooked for Thursday morning.

Weather happens and changes plans; we are fully aware of that and willing and able to roll with it.

A ship being sailed from calm waters INTO a storm is not something that just happened... somewhere along the way a decision was made to do so.

Like you, we made the best of it, and we did have some good times - my son & I won a contest for making the best drinks at a beverage seminar, my kids & I won Most Original in the Halloween Costume Contest, and we all had fun with Pirate night - however, we do feel that we did not get what we paid for due to the decision to sail back into the storm.

While it's good to see DCL making at least some gesture, I think it's crappy to say they will only compensate us for this cruise if we take a future cruise.

They're basically saying "Sorry we blew it, if you want compensation, book another cruise and we'll give it to you then."

I think they'd encourage more people to rebook by simply giving a 25% refund to those of us affected.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: