Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #61
mickeeemouse
Mouseketeer

What kind of thermostate is it? Is it a PTAC unit? (

mickeeemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #62
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
Sadly, I'd pay more to keep the AC on all night if that was my only option. I'm one of those people who can't sleep if it's even a little warm in the room.
I'll bet Disney will come up with a "preferred cooling room" category soon for an extra $20 a night.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #63
Floristmom
Earning My Ears

We had this same problem at POP at the end of September. It was 95 most days with 75-85% humidity. Our room wouldn't cool down any lower, The a/c stopped at 68. I am used to heat and humidity I am from MN, but dang it was still hot!
Floristmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #64
smidgy
dimples

I like a room cooler. hubby, not so much.. my problem, though, is the lack of air movement... I like a window open, even just a little. fresh air.. (not gonna happen in a hotel) so I'm fine with a cooler room.
but , in the middle of the night, trying to "bump " it just a bit, in the dark, wihtout waking the other person.. what a pain in the butt.

getting a good night's sleep should not be dispupted by the temperature, not at Disney's prices.

we will be at the Little mermaid rooms in april . and "play" with the thermostat one night. then I will just go down to the front desk to ask. (not call, I know you are not talking to the front desk).

I am hesitant to sleep in the nude. I have, on more than one occasion, had a maid enter my room while I was sleeping. I had the "do not disturb" sign on the knob (or whatever it says, doesn't matter, they don't.. or can't .. read it anyway) they still disturb you by knocking to make SURE youdon't want to be disturbed ... ie. they want you to get up out of bed, answer the door, and sign that you don't want to be disturbed)

once, I had the sign on the door and tried to ignore the knock.. ignore the knock again,, I have the sign on the knob.. so, she unlocks the door and pokes her head in! "Housekeeping!!!"
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #65
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
OP keep calling and ask to speak to a manager. I find it hard to believe that they cannot make your room cooler if YOU want it cooler. It's unacceptable when you are paying alot of money to stay somewhere that they cannot make the room comfortable to you. Not acceptable, I don't care if disney owns the resort, as others keep saying.
I wouldn't call, I would go down to the desk and ask to speak to a manager. Are you willing to switch resorts, if it would mean a cooler room? Just a thought, maybe tell the AoA manager that and see if it helps things.

If worst comes to worst, maybe make a quick trip to walmart for a fan. Maybe if people start doing fan swaps, they will get the idea that the rooms are just too hot.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 10-29-2012 at 05:57 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #66
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I have, on more than one occasion, had a maid enter my room while I was sleeping. I had the "do not disturb" sign on the knob (or whatever it says, doesn't matter, they don't.. or can't .. read it anyway) they still disturb you by knocking to make SURE youdon't want to be disturbed ... ie. they want you to get up out of bed, answer the door, and sign that you don't want to be disturbed)

once, I had the sign on the door and tried to ignore the knock.. ignore the knock again,, I have the sign on the knob.. so, she unlocks the door and pokes her head in! "Housekeeping!!!"
Did you have the deadbolt and flip latch engaged on the inside of the door? If they are, Housekeeping can't get in. It's still annoying when they knock though. . . .

Maybe Disney needs to set the rooms up so you have to use your room key for the a/c to work, but then allow whatever temp you want to set it at while you're in the room. That way, they save on the energy while you are out, but you can have the room as cool as you want when you're in it.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #67
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

I think ceiling fans would help this problem. The fan running would cause the motion need to keep the air on. It would also move the air and keep the room cooler. A ceiling fan is such an inexpensive way to improve the performance or air conditioning and heat. I never have understood why a ceiling fan is a perk for the mods and deluxe.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #68
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
i think ceiling fans would help this problem. The fan running would cause the motion need to keep the air on. It would also move the air and keep the room cooler. A ceiling fan is such an inexpensive way to improve the performance or air conditioning and heat. I never have understood why a ceiling fan is a perk for the mods and deluxe.
amen!!!!!
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #69
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
Maybe Disney needs to set the rooms up so you have to use your room key for the a/c to work, but then allow whatever temp you want to set it at while you're in the room. That way, they save on the energy while you are out, but you can have the room as cool as you want when you're in it.
I hated that in Europe - at a lot of hotels you insert your room key card in to get any electricity. It alway took quite a while to cool off the room especially when the temperature was high. It got to the point that we left one key in the slot and just took hubby's key when we went out.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #70
maxiesmom

Quote:
I never have understood why a ceiling fan is a perk for the mods and deluxe.
Because there has to be more than a nicer pool to entice most people to spend the extra money on a Moderate resort. The Value resorts are meant to be the budget end of the Disney resort spectrum. After adding fridges to all Value resorts there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them and the Moderate resorts anymore.

I'm just hoping they don't plus the Value resorts to the point that they end up charging more.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #71
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Because there has to be more than a nicer pool to entice most people to spend the extra money on a Moderate resort. The Value resorts are meant to be the budget end of the Disney resort spectrum. After adding fridges to all Value resorts there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them and the Moderate resorts anymore.

I'm just hoping they don't plus the Value resorts to the point that they end up charging more.
There is a lot more than a nicer pool that entices people to the moderate resorts. Bigger rooms, bigger beds, nicer linens, two sinks, covered area at the bus stops, beautiful grounds. A ceiling fan should be a necessity. I've already said it but ceiling fans could cut down on the use of air conditioning. Any room you pay over $100.00 for should be comfortable for all.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #72
maxiesmom

Quote:
There is a lot more than a nicer pool that entices people to the moderate resorts. Bigger rooms, bigger beds, nicer linens, two sinks, covered area at the bus stops, beautiful grounds. A ceiling fan should be a necessity. I've already said it but ceiling fans could cut down on the use of air conditioning. Any room you pay over $100.00 for should be comfortable for all.
Not all moderate resorts have bigger beds or two sinks. And what makes the grounds beautiful is totally subjective. And I don't agree that ceiling fans are a necessity. Many people live just fine without them. They are a nice perk for some, but still a perk.

I think Disney should have a basic, no frills resort and charge a lower price for it. And that is what the Value resorts used to be. Now they are Mod lights, and that is the price they charge for them too.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #73
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
OP keep calling and ask to speak to a manager
Calling gets you nowhere. "Front desk" is a lie, they aren't at the resort at all. The OP needs to walk to the front desk and talk with people face to face.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #74
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma View Post
Wow. You all like it cold! I never have my air set lower than 74.
I'm the same way. I don't really find this a big deal, TBH.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #75
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
I'm the same way. I don't really find this a big deal, TBH.
And some DO find it a big deal. Lets say your comfort level is 72 and they only let you go to 74?
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: