Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
Juney
Mouseketeer
 
Juney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

The bottom line IMHO is that we did NOT get what we paid for, and my position is that we should be given the 25% as a refund, not as a discount on a future cruise. Honestly, I feel the % should be higher.
The whole thing sucks and I would be very disappointed. However as long as Disney held up their end of your contract then you did get what you paid for.
__________________
May '81 Magic Kingdom Grad Night
July '89 Opening summer of MGM Studios, stayed offsite
December '08 Walt Disney World, Animal Kingdom Lodge
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #47
BELLE16127
DIS Veteran
 
BELLE16127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Grove City, Pennsylvania
Posts: 982

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland View Post
When Hurricane Sandy wreaks havok in your home state and completely pounds the mid-Atlantic, I can guarantee you that it won't be "an E-Ticket Ride! "

If hundreds of thousands or millions lose power sometime in the next 48 hours, they won't be "" either
WOW...I have been reading all the posts about this cruise for a couple days now. I just saw where a moderator was threating to close the other thread because people were getting what some consider out of hand with their remarks. and YOU say THIS!!!! Everyone has an opinion and all seem valid, an opinion is just that OPINION.

I live in Pennsylvania we get storms all the time Hurricanes NO but the remnants after the fact that flood and destroy peoples homes and so on. My daughter went to college at University of Central Florida and was there in 2004 (I believe that was the year) when all the Hurricanes crossed Orlando. She called several times saying how she couldn't get over the fact that all most of the girls she went to school with were concerned with was the fact they didn't have AIR ?CONDITIONING!!!! Destruction all around and NO AIR!!!

She told them as I will now tell you who lives in Florida that when we loose power here durring a massive WINTER STORM people loose more than Air Conditioning, they loose their LIVES because they freeze to death due to lack of heat....Car Accidents because of ICY ROADS and they are still expected to be at WORK.

Yeah we don't totally shut down when a storm is comming we still go out cuz we dont have a choice.

Maybe now YOU need to THINK about what you have just posted!
__________________
BELLE16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #48
realityland
Mouseketeer
 
realityland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)
Posts: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
Wow...lost your sense of humor?? Get a grip.

I know what a hurricane does I have seen many, including the destruction of Irene last year in my home state and in my own home. And I don't even live in a flood zone. So my family is prepared as are my neighbors. We lose power even when there is just a thunder storm.
It is good that you are prepared, as well you should be. Sadly, many people choose not to be prepared and then pay the consequences later.

My sense of humor is well intact. I thought your comment to be ill-timed and with a complete lack of empathy. In the hours since your humorous splash, more and more accounts of misery on the high seas have been posted.

You could have made a joke without it being a slap in the face and completely disregarding people's discomfort. Sorry, your attempt at a joke bombed.
__________________
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #49
amyg1
Mouseketeer
 
amyg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 116

I think the 25% was on top of the 10%. The letter wasn't that clear. We are going to check our onboard booking on Monday to see what was applied. I was rather shocked that they were giving us the discount - they really didn't have to do anything. Not that I'm going to turn it down. As the letter said, it was a goodwill gesture.
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #50
realityland
Mouseketeer
 
realityland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)
Posts: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLE16127 View Post
WOW...I have been reading all the posts about this cruise for a couple days now. I just saw where a moderator was threating to close the other thread because people were getting what some consider out of hand with their remarks. and YOU say THIS!!!! Everyone has an opinion and all seem valid, an opinion is just that OPINION.

I live in Pennsylvania we get storms all the time Hurricanes NO but the remnants after the fact that flood and destroy peoples homes and so on. My daughter went to college at University of Central Florida and was there in 2004 (I believe that was the year) when all the Hurricanes crossed Orlando. She called several times saying how she couldn't get over the fact that all most of the girls she went to school with were concerned with was the fact they didn't have AIR ?CONDITIONING!!!! Destruction all around and NO AIR!!!

She told them as I will now tell you who lives in Florida that when we loose power here durring a massive WINTER STORM people loose more than Air Conditioning, they loose their LIVES because they freeze to death due to lack of heat....Car Accidents because of ICY ROADS and they are still expected to be at WORK.

Yeah we don't totally shut down when a storm is comming we still go out cuz we dont have a choice.

Maybe now YOU need to THINK about what you have just posted!
Wow - you took everything completely out of context. I was responding to a previous post that said "Hey, maybe DCL should have charged them (passengers on the Fantasy) more since they turned it into an E-Ticket Ride! "

Hence, my comment that the poster may not find it so funny when the storm pounds on the mid-Atlantic in her back yard. And that the millions without power won't find it very funny either. The point of which was that the misery experienced at sea should not be fodder for joking in the same way that the seriousness of the coming storm is also not funny.

It was in no way, shape or form a jab at the severity of the storm. My head is spinning trying to figure out how you reached that conclusion.

Thank you for your stereotyping of every Florida resident and your lengthy education of living "up North." I lived there for 30 years.

I have been on here defending those that have joked and dismissed people who experienced misery on the Dream and Fantasy. And for that, I get brow beaten. I think I am done.
__________________

Last edited by realityland; 10-28-2012 at 06:48 PM.
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #51
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?
 
Wendy&Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gotha, Florida
Posts: 1,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
The whole thing sucks and I would be very disappointed. However as long as Disney held up their end of your contract then you did get what you paid for.
I guess that's where my issue is; I don't feel DCL held up their end. We did not have access to 50% or more of what we paid for... ports, pools, decks, etc... and this was due to bad navigational decisions... not a surprise storm that just happened.

An official decision was made to sail us into a storm, causing us to miss out.

I don't feel that is holding up their end and that is what we will be addressing with DCL directly.

Thank you for your empathy - it is appreciated.
__________________
Etsy/Ebay: PixieDustedStitches

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #52
BELLE16127
DIS Veteran
 
BELLE16127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Grove City, Pennsylvania
Posts: 982

I did not stereotype EVERY Floridian you may want to reread I spoke of a SPECIFIC group of people. Lengthy education of living in the north??? Hmmm a couple sentences. You lived here 30 years I have been here MY WHOLE life and I am older than 30, so I have seen the best and worst of it. I have also seen the devistation of the Hurricanes in Florida as we made several trips there not only while DD was in College but for years before and years after.

As I said EVERYTHING being said in the posts are OPINIONS everyone has one EVERYONE is allowed to have one.
__________________
BELLE16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #53
realityland
Mouseketeer
 
realityland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)
Posts: 292

I must disqualify myself due to my "limited" experience of living up North.

Anyway, on a more serious note ... those that are prepping and bracing for the storm, please be safe. I hope for the best possible outcome in this bad situation. There is one thing that we can agree on ... storms kill people and destroy people's lives - whether North, South, East or West.
__________________
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #54
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg1 View Post
I think the 25% was on top of the 10%. The letter wasn't that clear. We are going to check our onboard booking on Monday to see what was applied. I was rather shocked that they were giving us the discount - they really didn't have to do anything. Not that I'm going to turn it down. As the letter said, it was a goodwill gesture.
Did you get the letter while still on the ship? My parents raced off the ship to catch their flight (and just made it) and did not receive anything. Meeting her new grand niece yesterday did a lot to heal my Mom. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #55
kathie859
DIS Veteran
 
kathie859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 3,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Did you get the letter while still on the ship? My parents raced off the ship to catch their flight (and just made it) and did not receive anything. Meeting her new grand niece yesterday did a lot to heal my Mom. -- Suzanne
We got our letter while lining up for disembarkation (haphazardly with no clear instructions from any CM's--another massive Disney epic fail) from a CM who was just shoving a piece of paper into anyone's hand. This was after the cruise director had made the announcement of the discount for another cruise as a good-will gesture. My TA has already emailed me, too, just in case I wondered how to get the discount if we were interested. (it's simple--just use your booking/confirmation number from this last cruise from hades to request the discount)
__________________
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #56
disneybride96
Yacht Club Gazebo- 11-2-96
 
disneybride96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

and this was due to bad navigational decisions... :
I was on that cruise and I in fact know nothing about navigational decisions. Perhaps this were the right decisions. I am no expert.
I chose to get on the ship knowing it would probably not be the best cruise ever. I trusted that the captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had. That storm slowed down over the Bahamas from what was projected. Had we stayed south and had a beautiful day at sea, people would complain that we didn't make a port. We spoke with the captain Friday night and chatted about how amazingly stable the Dream was in those high seas. He mentioned that the classic ships would have been much more "active".

Now Saturday night was rough, but you have to cross the Atlantic Coastal Current sometime. Last night is always the most bumpy no matter what the seas. If we had stayed out longer, I'd still be in Florida trying to get a flight home and there would be a whole boatload of people sitting at Port Canaveral waiting for their cruise.

We saw way more kids on this trip. Would i have been happier if they could have been up on deck or off on port excursion so i could enjoy the ship? Heck yeah! But, we made the most of the trip, and arrived home safe and on time. I for one, think the crew did a great job.
__________________

Mutiple Trips- 1972-1995
The Weddings : Sister's Wedding...Wilderness Lodge Jan '96 Intimate Wedding....Yacht Club Nov '96

Boardwalk Grand Villa Upgrade, '98 Shades Of Green '99
The Cruises: Wonder- Jan '04, Magic w/ Antigua- Oct '04, Kin Folk Magic Cruise- Nov '05, Wonder- Jan '06
Won at trip to the Yacht Club- Jan '06
Then Came DVC: SSR - Sept '06, OKW Studio - Jan '07, OKW Grand Villa - Sept '07, AKV/BCV - Jan '08
Magic Halloween Double Dip Oct '08, SSR Pre-Christmas Dec '08,, Jan '09 BCV, Developer Points @ SSR - Sept '09,
BLT Homecoming- Dec '09,Wonder & BWV- Jan '10, HHI- Oct '10, Nephews to BLT- Jan '11, DISNEYLAND VGC- Oct '11
Dream/BLT - Nov '11, Princess Trip/Treehouse - Oct '12,
Super Storm Sandy Dream Cruise - Oct '12 , AKV/BCV -Jan '13 .
disneybride96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #57
amyg1
Mouseketeer
 
amyg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Did you get the letter while still on the ship? My parents raced off the ship to catch their flight (and just made it) and did not receive anything. Meeting her new grand niece yesterday did a lot to heal my Mom. -- Suzanne
Just call Disney. There was nothing specific in the letter - they have a record that they were on the cruise, and that will be enough to get the discount. It is good through Dec 2014.
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #58
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?
 
Wendy&Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gotha, Florida
Posts: 1,372

Concierge staff told me of the discount and said we would be receiving a letter, but we never received one.

I didn't see any letters being handed out as guests left the ship either.
__________________
Etsy/Ebay: PixieDustedStitches

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #59
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 4,201

We were in atrium deck 3 around 1:00 and they were walking around handing out the letter. You do not need the letter for the discount, as has been mentioned in a few threads.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 1,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLE16127 View Post
WOW...I have been reading all the posts about this cruise for a couple days now. I just saw where a moderator was threating to close the other thread because people were getting what some consider out of hand with their remarks. and YOU say THIS!!!! Everyone has an opinion and all seem valid, an opinion is just that OPINION.

I live in Pennsylvania we get storms all the time Hurricanes NO but the remnants after the fact that flood and destroy peoples homes and so on. My daughter went to college at University of Central Florida and was there in 2004 (I believe that was the year) when all the Hurricanes crossed Orlando. She called several times saying how she couldn't get over the fact that all most of the girls she went to school with were concerned with was the fact they didn't have AIR ?CONDITIONING!!!! Destruction all around and NO AIR!!!

She told them as I will now tell you who lives in Florida that when we loose power here durring a massive WINTER STORM people loose more than Air Conditioning, they loose their LIVES because they freeze to death due to lack of heat....Car Accidents because of ICY ROADS and they are still expected to be at WORK.

Yeah we don't totally shut down when a storm is comming we still go out cuz we dont have a choice.

Maybe now YOU need to THINK about what you have just posted!
I'm çonfused. Is it some type of competition? I don't see what realityland said that was so bad. And please don't say that I don't get it. Look at my location. I know a little something about hurricanes, destruction, and death also.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (7/2014 AKV) (2/2015 AKL/5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)



EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: