Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Halloween Baby
Mouseketeer

How do you choose a room category??

Hi All,

I am a DCL newbie... I want to book the Fantasy for our honeymoon as soon as the dates are released. How can I find out information on what rooms/floors are the best for honeymooners? Anyone have any suggestions on location/type of room/so on?

Thanks!!

Halloween Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

I think the first few things you need to determine are:

~ time of year you may want to sail
~ amount you are planning to budget
~ if either of you are affected by motion sickness.

I see you have stayed at Pop and CSR. The Fantasy is equivalent to/surpasses a Deluxe WDW resort and rooms in all categories reflect that feel. So, read as many Trip Reports and ship reviews. Cruise Critic is another forum that has a lot of reviews.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Halloween Baby
Mouseketeer

We will be sailing at the beginning of May. We are flexible on the budget. With that said, I don't want to spend money for extras that we won't use! And we are not sure about getting sea sick. This is the first cruise both of us will take. Do some rooms make you feel more sick because they move more?

Halloween Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
asemaria
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween Baby
We will be sailing at the beginning of May. We are flexible on the budget. With that said, I don't want to spend money for extras that we won't use! And we are not sure about getting sea sick. This is the first cruise both of us will take. Do some rooms make you feel more sick because they move more?
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
If you worry about getting sea sick it is a good idea to get a stateroom in the middle of the ship. The higher floor and far aft or forward will make the seas feel more. But, it is not that much, so most people are ok.

It all depends on what you want! I would choose a stateroom with veranda so you can sit out there and enjoy the ocean together. Very romantic! Bit either way you can't go wrong, the Fantasy is amazing!
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween Baby
You may feel more movement being forward or aft. We were in an aft stateroom on Deck 7 and could feel a lot of vibration. For your first cruise, you may want to choose something mid-ship maybe Deck 5 or lower. Our family has taken a total of 7 cruises but we began with a mid-ship stateroom and then progressed to aft and higher decks.
If you would like to have natural lighting in your stateroom, choose an ocean view or verandah. If you don't mind not having a porthole or verandah, an inside would be fine and those on the Fantasy have virtual (digital display) portholes. If you know you and your husband will be up on the sun deck a lot, then an inside would be fine.
Many cruisers recommend reading the Passporter: http://www.passporter.com/dcl/guidebook.asp
Or, you can glean much info from the Cruise Critic site.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We prefer a cat 11. My husband hates the split bathroom. He is very tall and broad.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

On our first (and only so far) cruise, we had cabin 5190 on the Fantasy. For newleyweds, it would be great. There was some vibration, but not rocking or movement that would cause motion sickness (everything makes me sick). Perks of it...laundry is right across the hall; close to aft elevators so could get to Cabanas easily; the hall ends 1 room past yours, so very minimal traffic; balcony is oversized and you look out at the beautiful sea all you want. We loved it!
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

First, decide whether you want an inside, porthole, or balcony. Honestly, for a honeymoon, I'd get a balcony--nice romantic place to hang out. There will only be 2 of you, so size of cabin is not a huge issue. We've gotten great deals on some of the balcony cabins with minimally obstructed views--yes, we found the obstruction when we looked for it, but it didn't affect our enjoyment of the balcony at all.

Midship cabins and those on lower decks will have the least motion.

Call your TA and tell him/her what is important to you. My recommendation is always a TA who has been on the class of ship you are considering --in your case, one of the newer ships. He/she should have some good ideas for you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: