Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
erynsmom
Mouseketeer

Fellow Canadian Disers

Hi All,
It's been 4 years since we've been to the World and now we are heading back in February (last time we went in September).
If anyone can help with some refreshers/tips (about parks, dining, packing) that would be great.
I am also looking for some specific help with clothes packing. I'm pretty sure I will need to pack differently from the last trip.
Thanks everyone,
Cheryl
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
BOTL76
Mouseketeer

Hi there,

Glad you are going back!

From your profile looks like a family of 3 and your DD is six? I think the one thing that we have stuck to is the go early morning for Rope Drop is close to opening, come back to resort for lunch/break, then go back at night. With our 2 kids it has always worked out best this way.

What week are you going in February? 3rd week(President's day week in the US) is showing crazy crowds, so watch out for that if you are there that week.

Are you staying on-site or off-site? Will you have a rental car or use WDW transportation?

happy to provide more input if needed.
BOTL76 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
erynsmom
Mouseketeer

We are going Feb 23-Mar2 and staying at POR (same resort as last trip). We will be using the WDW transportation. I will also be placing an order with Garden Grocer before we leave.

Thanks for your input
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

We have gone once before at the end of Jan.2011 and it was chilly at night, most of the days were warm but not hot like it is in September so pack a few things like fall weather here and you should be good. Weather there was soo much nicer then what we came back to on our return trip home!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
sportel
Earning My Ears

We were there last year for the first week of January. The weather was all over the place - shorts, ts, and pool time early in the week; pants, toques and sweaters near the end of the week. We packed for a full range of weather, and we needed it.

sportel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynsmom View Post
We are going Feb 23-Mar2 and staying at POR (same resort as last trip). We will be using the WDW transportation. I will also be placing an order with Garden Grocer before we leave.

Thanks for your input
We may be there the same time (Feb 24 - Mar 2). We went March break last year (Feb 29 - Mar 8). The weather was variable. One day was hot enough to go to a water park, but 1 evening in MK it was cold. Pack a pair of long pants and sweater/windbreaker. A small pair of knit gloves would also come in handy.

The days were generally beautiful. 18-22C. No rain at all. Crowds were great until the end of the week when some Spring Breakers arrived.

We plan to stay @ POP - but POR was where we stayed during out last trip w/o the kids.

ps....start making your ADR's as soon as possible. We have all ours set already. Are you booking the Stay, Plan & Dine Promo ?
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
erynsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRookie2007 View Post
We may be there the same time (Feb 24 - Mar 2). We went March break last year (Feb 29 - Mar 8). The weather was variable. One day was hot enough to go to a water park, but 1 evening in MK it was cold. Pack a pair of long pants and sweater/windbreaker. A small pair of knit gloves would also come in handy.

The days were generally beautiful. 18-22C. No rain at all. Crowds were great until the end of the week when some Spring Breakers arrived.

We plan to stay @ POP - but POR was where we stayed during out last trip w/o the kids.

ps....start making your ADR's as soon as possible. We have all ours set already. Are you booking the Stay, Plan & Dine Promo ?
My ADR's are done. I did those before the trip was actually booked. Yes we are on the Stay, Play & Dine Promo.
I would never have thought of bringing a pair of gloves. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Quote:
My ADR's are done. I did those before the trip was actually booked. Yes we are on the Stay, Play & Dine Promo.
I would never have thought of bringing a pair of gloves. Thanks for the tip.
Gloves - yes small cotton variety - don't take up much space when packing.
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

Just a couple of packing tips. This is the time of year when we put away our summer shorts/sandals/etc. Put some of them into a suitcase instead, that way you won't need to try to find them in Feb. My other tip is to use packing cubes. They organize your packing, take up way less space in your bag, and no more sitting on a case to close it! Oh yeah, and roll your clothes up before putting them into the cubes, takes up less space yet. Have a great trip!

Seems they've been discussing cubes on the resort board:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3010289

Cheers!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
ryckpen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hi All,
It's been 4 years since we've been to the World and now we are heading back in February (last time we went in September).
If anyone can help with some refreshers/tips (about parks, dining, packing) that would be great.
I am also looking for some specific help with clothes packing. I'm pretty sure I will need to pack differently from the last trip.
Thanks everyone,
Cheryl
Hi Cheryl, Best advice for packing is check with accuweather a few days before your trip. That should help with what to pack. They have extended forcasts for all of North America. Love the packing cubes used them on a recent trip to BC. Saves space, easier for airport security. Also good for keeping any unwanted pests out! Have a Great Trip

Last edited by ryckpen; 10-25-2012 at 08:05 AM.
ryckpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

And a couple of park-related items, which you may well have already noticed on the boards.

- FastPass return times are being enforced. This is changing the patterns for standby lines, and seriously benefits you if you can organize your FastPass selections.

- PhotoPass+ has an online pre-purchase discount, which could be worth it if you want to splurge on more than 10 photos. It includes all of your ride photos too. We got more than 300 photos on our last trip.

- If you want to ride ToyStoryMania, go for rope drop at Hollywood Studios. This is a must.

- Phineas and Ferb have a character spot in HS now.

- Perry the Platypus has replaced the KimPossible search in Epcot. Same routine, however, where you help Agent P in one of the countries in World Showcase.

- Test Track will be reopened and refurbed.

- Splash Mountain will be down, for a much-needed refurbishment. We were evacuated twice last summer!

- And of course lots to see in the new Fantasyland, including the princesses in their new location.

Have a fabulous trip!
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise

Last edited by papertraveller; 10-25-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
CindyV
Mouseketeer

We have been in july,august,october and january.
Weather is unexpected and changes all the time. I would look when it gets close. But this past time we went we packed for just incase. Glad we did because it was warm during the day cooler at night. When we went in january one year it was cool but we were still able to swim, even though people there thought we were crazy at the time.

Another thing we do is follow easywdw's websites recomendations for parks to visit and plans once you get there. we enjoy following these plans and find them super helpful as they are specific to the exact day you are going.
Cypress Pointe 1 week
July 2011- Sheridan Vistana 2 days
Vacation Villages at parkway 1 week
Oct 2012- The Fountains 1 week
CindyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: