Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #46
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Palo and Pirate Night

Tonight we had dinner booked at Palo at 7:00 pm. I called up and requested Susana as our server again.

Scott decided to run up to Deck 10 to take some sunset photos....I stayed in the room and took these....

Scott arrived back with some tale of meeting some guy while getting a beer, who was also an avid photographer...who had told him he had missed the sunset....which is strange....because it wasn't DARK??? Needless to say, the story didn't involve ANY photographs...

We got ready for Palo and arrived right on time and were shown to our table. It was a bit busier than brunch, but not full and they seemed to have extra room.

We had the Palo antipasto....so yummy...I could make a meal of the bread and the parmesan reggiano with balsamic....slurp!!! Scott and I shared a bottle of wine, Mum and Mo had a mojito.

Scott and I both had the Palo signature appetizers...Calamari, Grilled shrimp, portobello and polenta....

Scott and I both had beef tenderloin....

Susana also bought me a side of the lobster ravioli...

... and Scott an extra Portobello and Polenta, which we had with the Palo signature appetizers and which was absolutely delicious.....

Mum and Mo both had the lamb....and Scott and I both WISH we'd ordered it!! It was fantastic...and we both thought it was better than the beef...

Susana is such a nut...she told us that she would be RIGHT back...and dashed off to her cabin to get her tablet to show us a photo. Another customer had taken a photo of her with the pepper grinder....it was a GREAT photo...she wanted Scott to try and recreate it... Here's his attempt....it didn't come out as well as the original....

We also had the chocolate soufflé....Mum had the tiramisu, but said it wasn't AS good as the one at brunch...

We took some photos with Susana....

Tonight was pirate night so we walked out of Palo and out onto Deck 10 to see what was going on with the party.

We were all so full and sleepy that in the end we didn’t stay to see the show but decided to walk off a little of the food by walking down to Deck 4 to show Mum all the machinery for the anchors and mooring ropes and chains at the front of the ship.

We were all back to our rooms by 10:00 pm...this guy was hanging around...

We went out to watch the fireworks from our balconies, we had a great view.

It had been a really busy day...and we were all tired so right after the fireworks we headed to bed.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #47
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
ohhh, I am really getting excited reading this!

Funny, I guess growing up in Texas and seeing the water in Galveston - I just kind of assumed that its a green/brown color in the gulf. Your blue water pics are beautiful!
It turned to blue much more quickly than I thought it would...too bad it doesn't look like that in Galveston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2421 View Post
More please!!!! Sailing Dec. 1st.
I know you will have a great time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman2011 View Post
subbing along, great trip report! We really had a great time, and enjoyed the cruise, I hope to maybe go on another cruise soon!
Thanks for following along Glad you had a great time...cruises are addictive aren't they??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Joining in! It sounds like a wonderful cruise so far! I hear you on AP...while I really enjoyed our dinner on the Dream a few weeks back, there is something about the original version on the classic ships. (And I truly miss PC, which is my favorite dining room on the classic ships.) The Fantasy is next up for us, but I'm aching to get back on the Magic soon!
Hi Cindy! I thought of you and Russ a few times...I wondered how much you were missing having the Magic there...and now know how GREAT it is to have her so close!

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #48
Arkum
Mouseketeer

Subscribing as well! We were on the same cruise and it's fun to see it through your eyes! Thanks again for setting up the FE. My kids loved coming back to little gifts.
Arkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #49
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkum View Post
Subscribing as well! We were on the same cruise and it's fun to see it through your eyes! Thanks again for setting up the FE. My kids loved coming back to little gifts.
Hello! So glad that your kids enjoyed the FE... It was fun to set up and to participate in. Thanks for subbing...it's fun to remember...all that waiting to go and now it's over...that's the only bad thing!!

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #50
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Wednesday - Costa Maya

After our reasonably early night, we all were up before 8 am. Scott and I ordered coffee and fruit juice from room service and sat our on the balcony for a little while.

The sun was out and it was warming up, so Scott decided to head down to Deck 4 again to go and run....I sat on my backside and did almost nothing while he was gone...but I did take a pic of all of our FE gifts so far....

This morning was going to be fairly relaxed as All Ashore wasnt until 12:45 pm and we didn't have to be ready for our excursion until 12:30 pm.

We all headed up to Topsiders for breakfast after he got back. I had scrambled eggs, a sausage, mushrooms and half a bagel with peanut butter. This is Scotts plate&we all pretty much ate the same thing!

My sister fell in love with the sausages they had, they are a LOT like English bangers (sausages) and so for us are super tasty.

After breakfast we all headed back to our rooms to watch for the arrival of land in the distance.

As we got close to Costa Maya a military boat came out and went from side to side for a while, not really sure what he was doing other than just checking us out.

The pilot boat came out, it looked more like a fishing boat, and dropped off the pilot. The pilot boat then seemed to have some kind of engine failure as we left it bobbing around and it didnt seem to be under power at all. The military boat came out and checked on them and you could finally see a big puff of smoke and they managed to get under idle to head back in.

We took a few pics while we were out there watching everything...

We docked in Costa Maya at 12:10 pm and we all gathered our stuff to head out to the Walt Disney Theatre to be there for our 12:30 pm excursion to the Chaccohoben ruins. There were quite a lot of people signed up, and they took us from the WDT down to our motor coach that would take us on the trip to the ruins. We walked along the pier and took a few pics.

The motorcoach was in good enough shape, better than I was expecting, but the AC wasnt working well and it was a warm ride to the ruins. The journey took about an hour, but our tour guide, Jesus, did a good job giving us information about the Mayans and their culture and some interesting facts about some of the villages that we passed through.

Jenny & Scott

Last edited by ukintheus; 11-06-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: My sister told me I had something wrong :-)
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #51
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Chaccohoben Ruins Tour

We arrived at the ruins and there were gift shops, restrooms and a place to buy cold drinks.

We were given a 10 minute stop for a restroom break, and it took every bit of it with all the buses arriving together and everyone needing to use them! We also grabbed 3 bottles of cold water and a Gatorade from the little place selling drinks and snacks.

It was very warm and humid and we were glad of some cold drinks. Everyone also applied bug spray as they said the mosquitos can be bad. There were several stops on the walking tour where they explained the ruins, the sacrificial alter and the different phases of Mayan culture.

There were several different ruins to walk to...the heat just took all the energy out of us....even the teenagers were happy to find a bench to plop down on at some of the stops...of course...they could also have been bored!

The last stop included a chance to climb up to see more ruins up on a hill, but because Mum can’t do stairs too well...me, Mum and my sister all elected to wait down at the bottom and let Scott do all the climbing and take all the photos. This is what was at the top....

These are the tiny coconuts that grow everywhere...

This was a cool tree....our tour guide said it was a strangled fig...

After the tour there was a little time to browse the gift shops before we loaded back on the motor coach.

They had water and soft drinks for us in a cooler getting onto the coach.

It seemed a little cooler in the afternoon but I have a feeling it was because we were on the shady side of the bus. The tour guide had several items made from the local coconuts that he was selling as part of a project he was spearheading to try and bring more economic growth to the local population. He was selling coconut candles, Christmas ornaments and various pieces of jewelery, all made from the local coconuts which are much smaller than the type we usually see.

Candle...

Christmas Ornament....

They stopped to show us a local cemetary and explained how the upcoming holiday of the Day of the Dead (Nov 1) was so important to their culture...he said that they host a dinner at the graveside for the loved one that has passed...

Selling pineapples...

All aboard was 5:30 pm and we were dropped off at 5:20 pm so there wasn’t any time to do any shopping. Because of the lines of people coming back from the ruins tours it was 5:40 pm by the time we got back on board.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #52
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

We have been spoilt with your updates today Jen I love your photos, there are some good sunset ones there and this is a lovely one of you and Scott

I look forward to your next update

mandymouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #53
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We hadn't eaten for at least 3 hours so we dropped our stuff off at the cabin and headed straight to Goofy’s Galley where I got a turkey Panini and Scott got a beef and bean wrap and a roast beef sandwich. Scott got a beer and I got a DOTD which was High Tide. Yum!

After eating Scott and I headed up to Deck 10 to take some photographs of the sunset and of Costa Maya disappearing as we sailed away.... While we were out in front of Palo taking photos Susana our Palo server came FLYING around the corner with another server behind her and came to take some photos of us with the sunset in the background. The other sever was her camerman! LOL

The sunset wasn’t the best, but we waited it out and then headed back down to our room to change and shower and get ready for dinner.

We got sucked into watching some of Finding Nemo on TV right before we headed down to Lumieres for dinner.

Super-quick snap on the way into the dining room...

Cocktail for dinner....Cosmopolitan L'Orange...

Mum & Mo both had a Pina Colada....

Also the yummy bread...we always dived into this so quickly, we never got photos of the bread!

I had the Applewood Smoked Bacon and Wild Mushroom Tart, Tomato and Basil Soup, Triton's Seared Sea Bass and an Ice-Cream Sundae.....plus a Crème Brulee on the side that Mum and I sampled...

Mushroom Tart...

Tomato & Basil Soup...

Sea Bass...

Ice cream....

Creme Brulee..

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #54
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Scott had Duck Confit, Market Green Salad, Triton's Seared Sea Bass and the Grand Marnier Soufflé.

Duck...

Salad...

Sea Bass...

Grand Marnier Souffle...

For some reason this evening, our drink server....Erwin....decided that Mum needed her meat cut up like a 5 year old...it was sweet and funny all at the same time...

We all decided to go and see the hypnotist in Rockin Bar D. Mum and Mo hadn’t made it to the adult areas yet, so we went straight there...passed by this guy though...

It was empty – there was no way we needed to be there that early. DJ streak was firing up some tunes, and Mum found it too loud so she and Mo went and found a place to sit outside that was quieter and Scott and I sat holding the table.

Soon it started to fill up, and by the time the show started there were quite a lot of people there. Asad Mecci was the hypnotist. I have to be totally honest and admit I’m a HUGE skeptic and that it didn’t do much for me. I guess I’m just not a believer and 2 of the 3 people that I had picked out of the group to be “plants” before the act actually got started were chosen to be in the final group on the stage. Parts of it were funny, but again, I’m not a good person to judge it because it just didn’t seem real to me.

Mum and Mo left right after his act finished but Scott and I couldn’t pass up the 80’s Flashback trivia game and decided to stay. Scott could remember way more than me, but I got a few of them! LOL We left there as it finished at 12:05 am and headed up to the room.

We sat on the balcony for 10 mins and Scott saw a shooting star. There also appeared to be couple of bats out there. At first we thought they were birds, but after watching them a couple of times they definitely acted more like bats. We were in bed about 12:30 am.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #55
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
We have been spoilt with your updates today Jen I love your photos, there are some good sunset ones there and this is a lovely one of you and Scott

I look forward to your next update
Thanks Mandy! I planned on today being a MEGA trip report day.... Scott left for Dubai and Abu Dhabi for 2 weeks last night... I've got plenty of time to sit and work on it so I figured I'd get ahead while I could.....

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #56
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post
Thanks Mandy! I planned on today being a MEGA trip report day.... Scott left for Dubai and Abu Dhabi for 2 weeks last night... I've got plenty of time to sit and work on it so I figured I'd get ahead while I could.....
That's a long time to be away for work isn't it ? I hope it all goes well for him. At least your mum is there Tell her it's dark, damp and dreary here, and the clocks went back an hour this morning, just in case she's feeling homesick (lol, as if)

I could just do with one of those orange cosmos before I head to bed in an hour

mandymouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #57
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse

That's a long time to be away for work isn't it ? I hope it all goes well for him. At least your mum is there Tell her it's dark, damp and dreary here, and the clocks went back an hour this morning, just in case she's feeling homesick (lol, as if)

I could just do with one of those orange cosmos before I head to bed in an hour
I forgot about the clock!. Ours don't change til next week. Yuck on the weather!! LOL

We had only been back a day off the cruise when they sent him to Mexico for the week. He got back Fri night just in time to unpack, me do laundry and then head out again.

Gives me plenty of time to plan the next cruise ;-)

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #58
shaned
Mouseketeer

Jenny, was reading your trip report. Makes me remember alot of stuff. The rainbow, Mike and I seen it from our room.

The military boat when we were down walking around on deck 3. That was kinda creepy. Till we seen them waving at someone on the ship.

I seen the shotting star , we were sitting out on the veranda. The water was such an amazing blue. Our servers in the dinning room were server Bradford, and assistant server Alessandro, awesome guys. Bradford from India, Alessandro from Italy.

Oh! Met Becky on formal night.
Dena

We missed doing alot of things. But will try and remember to do on the next one!

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #59
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned View Post
Jenny, was reading your trip report. Makes me remember alot of stuff. The rainbow, Mike and I seen it from our room.

The military boat when we were down walking around on deck 3. That was kinda creepy. Till we seen them waving at someone on the ship.

I seen the shotting star , we were sitting out on the veranda. The water was such an amazing blue. Our servers in the dinning room were server Bradford, and assistant server Alessandro, awesome guys. Bradford from India, Alessandro from Italy.

Oh! Met Becky on formal night.
Dena

We missed doing alot of things. But will try and remember to do on the next one!
We are still doing things that we've never done before....there's so much to do!

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
Mommy2Emmy
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! Trying to absorb as much Magic as I can before January!! Great report!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: