Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
Vickie46
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Cars Suite back in June hot summer.. We had no problems at all!
Vickie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #32
Sue M
DIS Veteran

That would be way to cold for me too, and I'm always in Florida in August. But I get it, some people are more comfortable in a cold room. I agree all resorts should have ceiling fans, and don't understand why they wouldn't be put into a new resort.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

My point is....regardless of whether or not YOU think that when the number 68 shows on the thermostat its cold or not it's whether or not Disney should dictate it
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post
My point is....regardless of whether or not YOU think that when the number 68 shows on the thermostat its cold or not it's whether or not Disney should dictate it
This should be the main point. I'd be furious if I paid for a vacation and the AC shut off in the middle of the night every night to save energy. If they want to cut back on guest power usage, they can certainly cut back on the cost of the room too. Maybe they should have "green rooms" with no AC that people could choose at a lower cost.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Wow-- I'd be freezing at 68, but I agree that the guests should have more control overthe AC. I don't think it's unreasonable for Disney to have "limits" but there should be a larger range. Hope they get that worked out. I imagine if enough people complain, they'll adjust it. But in the meantime, I guess pack a small electric fan!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #36
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
This should be the main point. I'd be furious if I paid for a vacation and the AC shut off in the middle of the night every night to save energy. If they want to cut back on guest power usage, they can certainly cut back on the cost of the room too. Maybe they should have "green rooms" with no AC that people could choose at a lower cost.
Or Igloos for people that want to pay more
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney's property, Disney's resort, they certainly can dictate and apparently have opted for air conditioning units that cannot be forced set below 68F. The consumer's solution is to stay elsewhere, if enough opt to do so citing this as their reason, then perhaps Disney will reconsider. I'm guessing that Disney is trying to become more green (as are all responsible companies) and this is what's driving their choice. Or perhaps it's cost driven and the cost of below 68F in too many rooms for too many hours caused Disney to chose the new model units or the act of forcing the temperature below 68F caused damage to older units and Disney opted for a unit that couldn't be forced to reduce unit replacement costs. Unfortunate that there aren't overhead fans as this is a cost effective way to lower the perceived temperature.
I'm surprised that in late October it is still so warm at night that 68F feels too hot.
I will say that having worked in medium sized offices for decades, I've observed huge battles develop about what the thermometer should be set at, the usual low being 68 -72, and that this is too warm for some people and too cold for others - so I get that one size does not fit all.

Last edited by sndral; 10-28-2012 at 12:08 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #38
bairdbeth
DIS Veteran

I think the real issue is that the a/c system cuts off all night because there is no motion. That would mean that it will not hold the 68 temp(or whatever temp you prefer) as it is meant to keep the room at a higher temperature when the sensor perceives the room is empty (ie no motion) The problem is the room is not empty, there is just not enough movement for the sensor to detect. For me, when the air has been off for a few hours, any room gets stuffy. Guess I will pack a fan this time.
bairdbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #39
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdbeth View Post
I think the real issue is that the a/c system cuts off all night because there is no motion. That would mean that it will not hold the 68 temp(or whatever temp you prefer) as it is meant to keep the room at a higher temperature when the sensor perceives the room is empty (ie no motion) The problem is the room is not empty, there is just not enough movement for the sensor to detect. For me, when the air has been off for a few hours, any room gets stuffy. Guess I will pack a fan this time.
A tip I have seen many times (and I think someone posted it here already) is to put a balloon by the sensor. It will move enough to keep the air going.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update on this. I tried a balloon in front of the sensor last night and no change
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
A tip I have seen many times (and I think someone posted it here already) is to put a balloon by the sensor. It will move enough to keep the air going.
OP tried the balloon trick - it appears the Disney gods are wise to this, we'll need to think up a new work around for those who want the AC to run all night.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #41
AnastasiaF
Earning My Ears

I just got back from Pop Century and their thermostats also do not go below 68. I thought I was the only one that woke up sweating at night! It should have been cool enough but I have no idea what they do during the night that makes the temp NOT stay at 68. I would sleep in a tank top and undies and just the sheet (so my kids were not traumatized by my sleepwear) and I was roasting. By the time we got up in the morning the room had cooled back down and was actually chilly!
AnastasiaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Understand 68 may be cold to some and warm to others (especially when no air is circulating at all and the fan shuts off) also some like the temperature to be cooler at night so when some of you say 68 is cold, this is not the day long desired temp.

Disney can dictate their thermostat all they want, but when they don't tell people this AND HAVE NO WAY TO GET AROUND IT why are we to do after we pay this much per night?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #43
Daisy143
Earning My Ears

The problem is that the air shuts off, when there is no motion. So it does not kick back on if it gets Hotter in the room. We even slept without blankets. Just like a previous poster said you wake up to a stuffy room.
DL & DCA-2000,DL 2006,DW-Xmas 2001, 2002 , 2005, 2006, Dec 2007 AKL, Oct 2008 Engagement, Nov. 2009 Thanksgiving, Honeymoon July 2009, Oct 2009 family fun run/Food and wine/MNSSHP, Oct 2010 Food and Wine 5k/MNSSHP, JAN 2011 FW Celebrating our New baby to be! June 2011 Early Anniversary/ Babymoon. AKL XMAS 2011, AoA MNSSHP 2012 baby's first halloween party,AoA Xmas 2012 ....
Me(32) & DH(34)
DD(1)
Daisy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #44
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastasiaF View Post
I just got back from Pop Century and their thermostats also do not go below 68. I thought I was the only one that woke up sweating at night! It should have been cool enough but I have no idea what they do during the night that makes the temp NOT stay at 68. I would sleep in a tank top and undies and just the sheet (so my kids were not traumatized by my sleepwear) and I was roasting. By the time we got up in the morning the room had cooled back down and was actually chilly!
Question: Did you check the temperature reading at night? Did the room get warmer than 68, or did it say 68 and just feel hotter?

What would be best is for someone to complain while they are there and see what they are told. I'm wondering if it is a problem with the system that the rooms are too warm, or if they will say that they system is working as intended.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #45
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Thermostat said 68, room temp 69 and not running. When we called (twice) they said it can't be changed and said "68 is cold enough". What is this country coming to...some cities are not letting people get large drinks, school kids can't have pizza, fries, etc anymore, and Disney tell us all when we are comfortable

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: