Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
SonicGuy
Mouseketeer

Concierge Travelling with non-concierge family

We are traveling next year in a one bedroom suite. Our in laws are cruising with us - except they are in a standard stateroom. If you've ever done this, do you feel guilty about things like boarding early and leaving them in the terminal? One family member is particularly jealous and was just preparing for how much "guilt-armor" I need to pack. Thanks.

SonicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Exactly why we do not cruise with family!!! If I paid for concierge, I would want to enjoy ALL of the benefits that came with it. If they get online at 3 a.m. ET for their check in, they will have an early PAT time, so will have a boarding card that will get them onboard shortly after you board. Why not see it as a positive. With you boarding early, you can get a table for lunch and let them know where to meet you so they can just go straight there, drop off their carry ons at the table with you and get their food without having to worry about finding an empty table with a tray full of food AND their carry ons. Of course, that will depend on how much complaining they will be doing.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Which ship are you sailing? Not a big deal to do this on the Magic/Wonder, imho. Beyond the early embarkation and the embarkation meeting and lone concierge party, it really shouldn't be much of an issue.

On the Fantasy/Dream, with the separate concierge lounge, there may be some jealousy. We enjoyed the lounge quite a bit to grab bottled water and have happy hour. If thats something you enjoy, don't apologize for wanting to take advantage of a service you paid dearly for.

If your family really wants these perks as well, my advice is to get an early PAT, and shoot for a paid upgrade to concierge/suite at the port.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Your family should be able to board with you when you board first, even if they are not concierge. I have had friends who have done this on The Magic and it was never an issue.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Must sleep barefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
Your family should be able to board with you when you board first, even if they are not concierge. I have had friends who have done this on The Magic and it was never an issue.
I think it depends on the port agent. We were in the same situation on the Magic, and our family was not.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
I think it depends on the port agent. We were in the same situation on the Magic, and our family was not.
May I ask which port? My friends were able to in Alaska, and with us in NY, and I think another port but I am not sure.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
zstyles
Mouseketeer

Haha, well just tell them that they can come to all the fun concierge stuff with you on board...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Must sleep barefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
May I ask which port? My friends were able to in Alaska, and with us in NY, and I think another port but I am not sure.
We sailed out of PC that cruise.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstyles View Post
Haha, well just tell them that they can come to all the fun concierge stuff with you on board...
Nope, no way no how. They didn't pay for concierge services, so they should not be allowed to make use of concierge "perks"
Old 10-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
SonicGuy
Mouseketeer

We are on The Dream

Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Must sleep barefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
We are on The Dream
When are you going? Lots of reports of cheap upgrades at the port to concierge on the Dream, especially during the off-season. Your travel mates just need a family concierge room, not a 1br suite to enjoy early embarkation and the lounge. Unless you arrive at the port late, I wouldn't count on your family being able to board with you. And once aboard, the concierge will make it clear to you that non-concierge guests are not allowed in the lounge. And the lounge is great, not something I would sacrifice just because I was traveling with someone who chose not to pay for its use.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
SonicGuy
Mouseketeer

We are going January 2013

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: