Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #31
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDisneyFreak View Post
I think they should have given them a 25% refund of their cruise fare in cash!!
Why? They got to enjoy their full 7 day cruise, and had one rough night.

When Hurricane Jeanne caused the Magic to go out from Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday rather than from PC on Saturday, we got a 40% refund of our cruise fare. However. we missed almost half of our cruise! It was a reasonably fair refund. However, it did cost all of that to extend our stay at WDW (where we spend the previous week). Those couple of extra nights cost as much as the previous week because we HAD to purchase them at the rate then being offered--no discounts or allowances for the fact that we couldn't get on the ship. Seriously, 2 nights were the same price as 6 nights! And we spend those nights shut in our resort room with no access to any amenities. Our AC went out part way thru when a tree landed on the compressor. And no, Disney didn't offer us anything because we had no AC, nor did we expect it.

Bad things happen, and it isn't always someone else's fault. DCL was being generous in offering a discount on a future cruise; they didn't have to do that.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #32
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

I suggest the people demanding refunds read every word of their cruise contract. Might be a bit scary with what it explicitly states.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTmomma View Post
I suggest the people demanding refunds read every word of their cruise contract. Might be a bit scary with what it explicitly states.
Yes, and if they knew they were to encounter the seas we did, most would love/chose to sit in port docked for seven days. Seriously. It was brutal, and I love heavy seas.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Yes, and if they knew they were to encounter the seas we did, most would love/chose to sit in port docked for seven days. Seriously. It was brutal, and I love heavy seas.
My point was not about the actual conditions onboard. My point was that DCL does not OWE anyone any future cruise booking discount, does not owe refunds etc. They fulfilled their part of the cruise contract. THATS what I was saying.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #35
briarrose1
Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2brooke76 View Post
Maybe things have changed. I know for a fact that back in 2008, the 25% discount was on top of the OBB discount.

It makes good business sense for DCL to give out these discounts when things happen which could significantly effect peoples decision to book another cruise. Having a customer who pays 75% of the next cruise fare and potentially books more cruises after that at 100% is far better than risking losing a customer. Going a little overboard the ensure customer satisfaction is one of the things that sets Disney apart from the competition.
You never want someone to walk off the ship annoyed. This is excellent customer relations.

Exactly. And that's why we love Disney

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney
briarrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #36
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Disney is simply looking after their business. They can't control the weather but surprisingly clients/customers often don't appreciate that fact. They rather keep customers happy and offer them 25% off then potentially lose a customer. Not only will it make the clients on the boat happy, it provides great word of mouth advertising. People will tell their friends "Oh we booked another Disney Cruise, they offered us 25% off another cruise because of the bad weather on our cruise" Disney know what they're doing, they want to keep their customers and make new ones. They would rather "lose" that 25% off a cruise booking then risk bad reviews going out or losing the customer.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
kritter
I need a Disney FIX!!
Trades her hubby for "Make me an offer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolar View Post
What is ABD?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Adventures By Disney!!
Jan 2003-Twins first trip, September 2003-Grand Floridian-bought DVC SSR, July/Aug. 2004-Dolphin and SSR, September 2005-SSR, October 2006-SSR and DCL Eastern Halloween Cruise,June 2007-SSR, Star Wars Weekend, Sept. 2007- SSR,April 2008-SSR, June/July 2008-SSR and Vero Beach, Oct. 2008- DCL Eastern-Pirates in Paradise and SSR, Easter/April 2009,-BCV, Aug. 2009-DCL Eastern Tortola Treasure Seekers Cruise-in a CAT 3 and SSR, Dec. 2009, SSR - Feb. 2010, - OKW -April 2010-[COLOR="SeaGreen"]SSR - June/July 2010-- SSR and Vero Beach Oct.2010--OKW
Feb. 2011 OKW April 2011 SSR Aug. 2011 Vero Beach, DCL The Dream-DD, SSR, Oct. 2011 SSR Jan. 2012 OKW April 2012 SSR June 2012 DCL, Magic out of NYC June/July 2012 SSR, Vero Beach November 2012 40th Birthday Cruise DCL Thanksgiving Fantasy
kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #38
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom
Hey, maybe DCL should have charged them more since they turned it into an E-Ticket Ride!
When Hurricane Sandy wreaks havok in your home state and completely pounds the mid-Atlantic, I can guarantee you that it won't be "an E-Ticket Ride! "

If hundreds of thousands or millions lose power sometime in the next 48 hours, they won't be "" either

Last edited by realityland; 10-28-2012 at 10:02 AM.
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #39
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscrapper View Post
Couldn't agree more! Why do people expect more when they are lucky to have received anything at all.

While on our Med 2010 cruise, we lost power in a storm, rocked and rolled horribly, items flew out of our closet doors that were slamming open and shut and 3 of us were sea sick. It never occurred to me to expect anything other than safe passage!
We were on that Med cruise too. Very freaky to have the electricity go out and in turn the stabilizers are not functioning. I remember as it got lighter looking out our verandah and seeing all sky, then all water. Very strange! When the captain said not to be worried because we were no where near land, I think he should have explained why that was good. Because some thought being in the middle of the Med was a bad thing. Definitely the roughest ride I was ever on. I wonder though if it had been the last night of the cruise, if we would have a different view of the cruise. But since it happened early in the cruise I think we were able to somewhat forget it by the last day.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #40
onecoolwife
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanash1

Thank You for saying this from me as well........ I was on the ship with my DH and kids. We didn't expect anything from Disney for the rough passage, and think that it was EXTREMELY generous of them to offer what they did. The first 4 days of our trip were worth what we paid IMO, but I can only speak for my family. I know that everyone on our sailing thread was WELL aware that sailing this time of year is a risk, but we didn't expect Hurricane Sandy! It is what it is, we're all safe and accounted for, and we will most definitely take advantage of what was offered to us. But no one that I saw ever ASKED for anything, and my comment card was raving.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
My family was with these guys as well on this trip. The first 4 days of our trip was awesome and we had perfect weather for St Maarten and St Thomas. Yes we were disappointed no Castaway but my 9 yo still had a wonderful time and was not upset about missing it because the kids club was awesome. We gave excellent reviews and pointed out the great service from crew members and the only bad comment left was...please bolt down the phone next to the bed. I swear that thing was out to get me and I could not remove it to stow in a drawer. Otherwise we did not complain about the trip, even with the 2 days of sea sickness our family suffered.

The discount was a bonus and we are excited to use it, as it was very unexpected.

And Disney went above and beyond by opening the dining options on Deck 11 around noon, so those that needed or choose to could go up and eat. We finally got off the ship around 2 ish.
onecoolwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #41
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Those that were on the 7-night Fantasy have said they enjoyed the portion of their cruise where the weather was decent. About 4 of the 7 days. Those that were on the 4-night Dream had nothing but misery the entire time. Decks closed the entire trip, rain, wind and churned-up seas.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTmomma View Post
Don't miss the parts of the contract that say they don't represent that the food is safe or the ship works. Also they don't have to follow the itinerary, and in case of emergency you may have to throw your luggage overboard. Also, they disclaim any responsibility for most of the services onboard (such as photos and spa).

Too bad we accept these as "industry standard."
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #43
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland View Post
When Hurricane Sandy wreaks havok in your home state and completely pounds the mid-Atlantic, I can guarantee you that it won't be "an E-Ticket Ride! "

If hundreds of thousands or millions lose power sometime in the next 48 hours, they won't be "" either
Wow...lost your sense of humor?? Get a grip.

I know what a hurricane does I have seen many, including the destruction of Irene last year in my home state and in my own home. And I don't even live in a flood zone. So my family is prepared as are my neighbors. We lose power even when there is just a thunder storm.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits

Don't miss the parts of the contract that say they don't represent that the food is safe or the ship works. Also they don't have to follow the itinerary, and in case of emergency you may have to throw your luggage overboard. Also, they disclaim any responsibility for most of the services onboard (such as photos and spa).

Too bad we accept these as "industry standard."
I think this is just a part of doing business. Typically the Disney organization does such a great job at spoiling each of us that we tend to forget that first and foremost they are a for-profit business. It's standard for any for profit business to cover their butt.
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #45
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
Why? Didn't they complete the cruise? Can't control mother nature and it sounds like they did a good job getting everyone home safely, even though it may have been a bit of a scary ride for the passengers.
You are correct in that DCL cannot control Mother Nature.

However, they most certainly CAN control where the ships go.

I was on the Dream cruise that left Thursday. They took us down the coast, around the tip of Florida into the Gulf. Friday morning we had fairly calm seas and even some sunshine. They could have kept us there, but no, they decided instead to turn around and head back into the storm!!!

Additionally, rather than hang back Saturday night and wait for the storm to move out some before heading back to port, they took us even further into the storm just to make port on time this morning!!! For several hours last night, the Murphy bed in our room was slamming open & closed, chairs were falling over, and anything not tacked town or tucked away was flying around the room.

The navigational choices made were NOT safe or in the guests best interests.
Many spent the majority of the cruise sick in their rooms, and many left with bruises they didn't board with.

Yes, we all took our chances cruising during hurricane season, with the belief and understanding that DCL would navigate away from any storms, keeping us safe and giving us the best experience possible.

Unfortunately, DCL instead chose to navigate INTO the storm, causing guests to miss out on a least half of what they paid for!

Here's a list of what was not available to us for the majority of the cruise and/or not at all:

Nassau
Castaway Cay
Upper decks
Promenade deck
Aqua Duck
Pools
Pirate party w/fireworks (partial party was held in the Atrium and fireworks were quickly shot off last night at 7:45 pm)
Meals were a fiasco - I'm guessing they were short staffed due to seasick staff, because the dining service took forever and by the time meals were brought, it was clear they had been sitting for quite some time.

Had better navigational choices been made, we could have at least enjoyed the full ship, which would have made for a much better experience. I would have been happy spending two days at sea on a ship that wasn't rocking and rolling, even without the ports!

The bottom line IMHO is that we did NOT get what we paid for, and my position is that we should be given the 25% as a refund, not as a discount on a future cruise. Honestly, I feel the % should be higher.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: