Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #991
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Backlot Express at Disney's Hollywood Studios

After striking out at Pizza Planet, we went to Backlot Express at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I ordered the veggie sandwich, minus the cheese, and on the whole wheat cibatta roll (instead of the asiago roll it normally comes on). The cashier was quite helpful and nice, and we were able to do the whole transaction without involving a manager or the allergy binder. There was no vegan dessert.

The bread was dull and flat tasting, and the vegetable mix of mushrooms, watercress, red pepper, and tomato was kind of bland and lacking in flavor. There was no sauce on it, and there were no interesting additional toppings to add (just standard condiments, no topping bar).

I'd give this meal option a vegan rating of a 2--and that's mostly because there were french fries involved. Still, there are much better Quick Service options, though there seem to be few places to choose from at DHS.

Last edited by DaymanX; 10-27-2012 at 12:01 AM.
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #992
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Frozen Kirin draft beer at EPCOT's Japan Pavillion

After dinner, we went to try the newly available Frozen Kirin draft beer at EPCOT's Japan Pavillion.

Basically it's a Kirin Ichiban beer with an ice cream-like frozen beer topping to keep it cool.

According to this article, it's available at the Kabuki Cafe and Tokyo Dining, but I got mine at the little drink stand across from the main store.

What is really cool though is that EPCOT is the only place to get this variety of frozen beer in the continental United States. The attendant said it is already quite popular (due to the buzz about it online).

A quick Barnivore search showed that Kirin beers are vegan, so I was really excited to try this.

The topping tasted like frozen foam, and I think I would have really enjoyed having more of that. I like pale beers, and it was my first time having a Kirin (or any Japanese beer for that matter). It actually tasted comparable to most US-made pale beers I've tried before.

I'm sure some beer afficianados might have stronger opinons about this, but if you're looking for something different and fun in an alcoholic beverage, I think it's worth spending $8 on to try it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #993
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Tangerine Cafe at EPCOT's Morocco Pavillion

For a late-night meal, we finally tried Tangerine Cafe at EPCOT's Morocco Pavillion.

I was torn between ordering a vegan version of the vegetarian platter or a falafel wrap, and went with the latter (minus the yogurt sauce with dairy in it). I also got a side of hot sauce.

The falafel patties tasted baked (not fried) and like they'd been out for awhile (they had a really big tray of them). The pita bread was good, and the lettuce was crisp. The hot sauce was tasty, but wasn't really hot at all.

I don't want to go off on a falafel rant here, but maybe I'm spoiled having repeatedly been to Falafel's Drive In San Jose, CA--a place widely regarded as being one of the best falafel stands in the United States (and featured on a few Food Network shows like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives). But here's what I've noticed: places with falafel balls are the best, because they're usually deep fried; if a restaurant uses patties, they're usually baked and not as good or crispy--that was definitely the case here.

Anyhow, the falafel wrap itself was just alright but not super satisfying--for comparison, I recall that the falafel wrap at Animal Kingdom Lodge's Quick-Service restaurant Mara was better when I had it last year.

However, the sides it came with at the Tangerine Cafe were really good and definitely made the meal for me. The lentils tasted great and the couscous had cinnamon and raisins in it. The staff wasn't all that helpful, so I just assumed that the baklava wasn't vegan and let my wife have mine.

I've seen positive reviews of the vegetarian platter here, so maybe I'll try that next time. But as it stands, I give the falafel wrap plate a vegan 6 rating.

Tangerine Cafe is worth trying if you want to spend a Quick Service credit at someplace other than Sunshine Seasons or you already used up all your snack credits at the Terra Booth.

Last edited by DaymanX; 10-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #994
cavepig
DIS Veteran

Tusker was awesome!!!!

We just ate Tusker House the other day for lunch and I was very worried the food would be overly spiced (like curry spiced or wierd spices) and lo and behold I LOVED IT because the food wasn't overly wierd spiced.

I didn't like some mango chutney or a tofu dish - both tasted wierdly spiced.

The chef said only the yellow rice dish wasn't safe for vegetarian because of chicken broth.

Tons of veggie options - It was soooooo good! I highly recommend!!!!

Resorts: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Fort Wilderness Campsite, Port Orleans Riverside (aka Dixie Landings), All-Star Movies, POP Century, Art of Animation - Little Mermaid.
Run Disney: Expedition Everest Challenge May 2014

cavepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #995
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavepig View Post
We just ate Tusker House the other day for lunch and I was very worried the food would be overly spiced (like curry spiced or wierd spices) and lo and behold I LOVED IT because the food wasn't overly wierd spiced.

I didn't like some mango chutney or a tofu dish - both tasted wierdly spiced.
Haha. Those spices aren't considered weird in most of the world! Curry is yummy and I love both that tofu dish and the mango chutney.

But yes, any restaurants with an African or Indian influence might be a bit too adventurous for some eaters with less exotic tastes.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #996
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Roaring Fork at the Wilderness Lodge

After reading about it on the "Special Dietary Needs Vegan Tip of the Month" post, we went way out of our way today to visit the Roaring Fork at the Wilderness Lodge to try the Mediterranean Quinoa Wrap.

My guess is that the author ate these back when they made them fresh, but they don't anymore. They weren't even on the posted menu, and were instead tucked away in the cold packaged foods sections (though the date on the package did show that it was made today).

I had expected what had been described as "the best vegan quick service entree on property," and instead got cold, mushy quinoa in a bland, dampened wrap.

I didn't even finish it--that's how disappointing it was. I also wonder if the author has tried many other vegan quick service options on Disney property, because even fresh, I can't imagine this beating out Sunshine Seasons or the falafel at Mara.

I give this a 2, and unless they go back to making them fresh, I think you can skip trying it.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #997
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Babycakes at Downtown Disney

After striking out last year and arriving when they were closed, today I *finally* got to sample Babycakes at Downtown Disney.

I got a cookie crumble donut and a french toastee cupcake. They were both really good, though not quite the best I've ever had in either category; Whole Foods back home has amazing vegan doughnuts and my wife makes recipes from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"). The portion sizes were also a bit small, but I do, intend to use most of my remaining snack credits there.

Still, for vegan desserts on property, I reckon that Babycakes can't beat. They also have a very large selection and I really liked what I got today. For that reason I give it a 10.

Babycakes at Downtown Disney is a definite vegan "Must-Do!"
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #998
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
After striking out last year and arriving when they were closed, today I *finally* got to sample Babycakes at Downtown Disney.

I got a cookie crumble donut and a french toastee cupcake. They were both really good, though not quite the best I've ever had in either category; Whole Foods back home has amazing vegan doughnuts and my wife makes recipes from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"). The portion sizes were also a bit small, but I do, intend to use most of my remaining snack credits there.

Still, for vegan desserts on property, I reckon that Babycakes can't beat. They also have a very large selection and I really liked what I got today. For that reason I give it a 10.

Babycakes at Downtown Disney is a definite vegan "Must-Do!"
Is Babycakes also gluten-free?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #999
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew

Is Babycakes also gluten-free?
Yup! They also some some spelt options which aren't. But most of their products are gf/df/ef. And they use agave to sweeten.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #1000
cavepig
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
Haha. Those spices aren't considered weird in most of the world! Curry is yummy and I love both that tofu dish and the mango chutney.

But yes, any restaurants with an African or Indian influence might be a bit too adventurous for some eaters with less exotic tastes.
I didn't know how else to phrase it, but I know they aren't really wierd, just not my thing....that's why I was very happy with the food.

Resorts: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Fort Wilderness Campsite, Port Orleans Riverside (aka Dixie Landings), All-Star Movies, POP Century, Art of Animation - Little Mermaid.
Run Disney: Expedition Everest Challenge May 2014

cavepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #1001
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to give my two cents about dinner at 'Ohana. I am a pescetarian but eat mostly vegetarian. I let the server know when I was seated that I am vegetarian (it's easier this way). I was able to eat the bread, the noodles & broccoli, and I was brought my own appetizer of pita chips with roasted red pepper hummus and baba ganoush. For my entree it was a humongous stir fry of potatoes, vegetables and tofu. It wasn't very good, but it wasn't bad either. Luckily my fiance doesn't like broccoli so I was able to eat all of that and a ton of noodles, plus dessert (and a lapu lapu ) so I left very full!

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
winnieatepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #1002
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Kouzzina by Cat Cora at Disney's Boardwalk

Last night we ate at Kouzzina by Cat Cora at Disney's Boardwalk.

For starters, I was disappointed to learn that the talented, creative, and vegan friendly Chef Miguel is no longer at Kouzzina. Our server told us he was there for a internship/residence starting last year, but recently left--apparently he is still in the area, but no longer working at a restaurant on Disney property. She did indicate that he may return at some point, so fingers crossed.

However, where as a custom meal was required in the past, Kouzzina now has a vegetable Briami over orzo pasta, which can be easily made vegan by holding the cheese.

We started with the pita and a selection of spreads (the hummus, olive tapenade, and eggplant are vegan). It was good, but they never give you enough pita bread. Thankfully the regular bread at Kouzzina is vegan.

Then I had the vegetable Briami. It was flavorful but simple. Definitely filling and nice to be able to order off menu (with that one slight modification).

For dessert, I inquired about the loukoumades, which are greek donut holes covered in honey (which I do eat). There was no dairy or eggs in the listed ingredients, so I ordered them. Unfortunately, they did not taste freshly fried and they were a little tough. My wife, who is much more well versed on Greek food, said they were the work loukoumades she had ever had. I thought they tasted like giant-sized versions of that sugar puff cereal I remember having as a kid.

All in all, the meal was good but not great. On our last trip, Chef Miguel was second only to Chef TJ in terms of wowing us, and he definitely showed equal passion and attention to our dietary needs. I think Cat Cora would definitely benefit from getting him back at Kouzzina, but as it stands, I give the meal I had last night a vegan 6 rating.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #1003
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Columbia Harbor House in Disney's Magic Kingdom

Today we took the Keys to the Kingdom tour, which included lunch at the Columbia Harbor House in Disney's Magic Kingdom.

I'd heard about the hummus sandwich before, and I was pretty sure it wasn't vegan. We looked at the ingredients list (which I love is so readily available) and it included egg and dairy in the broccoli slaw inside the sandwich. I'm also not a huge tomato fan, so I skipped the as well.

As you can see, what I got was essentially garlic hummus between two pieces of toast. This wasn't bad per se, but I'm glad it was included in the price of our tour. I'd feel silly using a Quick Service credit on it, but at least it included french fries.

I'm sure it's marginally better with tomato, and vegetarians seem to love it with the broccoli slaw, but for a vegan, I would rate this a 3--satisfying as a snack maybe, but hardly a meal.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #1004
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Ohana at the Polynesian Resort

Tonight we had dinner at Ohana at the Polynesian Resort.

I'd read about it in this thread and knew it was a family style restaurant that leaned heavily on grilled meats, but I'd heard about the tofu stir fry and how Chef TJ first came to everyone's attention for his vegan meals when he worked there.

When we sat down, in close proximity to the grilling station, my wife was panicked that we'd made a huge mistake dining here.

Thankfully, that was not the case.

Chef Brandon came out to talk with us, and they are very used to special diets. We weren't made to feel weird asking for vegan food for me and vegetarian food for my wife. Chef Brandon explained what he would be bringing us, including salad, vegan pita chips with two kinds of hummus , the tofu stir fry with potatoes, peppers, onions, broccolini, and mushrooms, as well as dessert (bread pudding for my wife and a vegan sundae for me). That calmed our nerves substantially.

The salad had a honey lime dressing that was tasty and made me thankful I eat honey, but it was just a simple salad of letter and carrots.

The pita chips were a bit tough, but the hummus was very good.

The stir fry was different than an Asian stir fry, which we really appreciated. It had a nice, mellow flavor, and the inclusion of potatoes and tofu made it a great comfort food. The portion was very generous, and we finished almost all of it.

While not a Chef TJ dessert tower, the sundae was a very nice mix of vegan cookies, raspberries, vanilla Tofutti ice cream, and Hershey's syrup.

(I'm assuming that the noodles aren't vegan because we weren't brought any?)

Overall, I really liked the vegan food at Ohana and my wife and I both agreed that it was substantial, filling, tasty, and comforting. My only word of caution for some would be that you're going to be *around* a lot of meat if you eat at Ohana, but if you're not in front of the grilling station, it shouldn't be bad at all.

I give Ohana a vegan rating of a 7, and definitely recommend using a Table Service credit here.

Last edited by DaymanX; 10-31-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Ohana stir fry picture fixed.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #1005
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

I started a thread with a question about breakfast options, but thought someone here might know more. If the breakfast you order comes with bacon or sausage, are they willing to substitute something else? I'm specifically wondering about Kona Cafe. Thanks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: