Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Throw me in the briar patch! Please! Oh, to be stranded overnight at CC. In my dreams.
They were not on CC. They were on the ship, the ship was stuck at CC and got back to PC late. They had no extra time at the island. That does not sound fun to me at all.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
BELLE16127
DIS Veteran

Extra time on the ship is extra time!!!! We left CC late once, some sort of Medical Emergency. And we were late getting back to PC and my world didn't crash down around me!!!! I was worried about the person we saw taken off the ship and left at CC to await the Coast Guard to get them out, and their family.

Flights can be changed and from what I hear Disney does EVERYTHING to help those that need it. It is clear that no matter what they do people (some people) will freak out. I guess when DH and I went to Disney World in January 2011 for our 30th wedding anniversary and he spent 2 days in the room with FLU symptoms (YUCK) I should have blamed Disney and seen what I could have gotten for FREE because I am sure it was their fault he got sick.......

And I forgot to add when we got back to PC late we got NOTHING FREE...NOTHING DISCOUNTED.....Didn't miss flights ( I had enough brains to make a later flight home) and OMG we have sailed several times since with no psycological(sp) issues.

Last edited by BELLE16127; 10-27-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: addition
BELLE16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
They were not on CC. They were on the ship, the ship was stuck at CC and got back to PC late. They had no extra time at the island. That does not sound fun to me at all.
A day on a Disney ship sounds like a blast to me!
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
A day on a Disney ship sounds like a blast to me!
You can have that and your missed flight home.

I know these things are not Disney's fault and we build time in to our vacations to account for any delays but I never understand people who say these things would be fun. Have you missed a flight before or had one canceled? Have you sat in the airport for hours waiting to see if you are going to get home that day? Extra time on the ship sounds fun in theory but for most people it will mean nothing but extra stress and possibly extra money.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
You can have that and your missed flight home.

I know these things are not Disney's fault and we build time in to our vacations to account for any delays but I never understand people who say these things would be fun. Have you missed a flight before or had one canceled? Have you sat in the airport for hours waiting to see if you are going to get home that day? Extra time on the ship sounds fun in theory but for most people it will mean nothing but extra stress and possibly extra money.
That is why I buy trip insurance. The insurance company has staff that make the new arrangements, including hotel if they can't get us out that day.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
TChrist05
DIS Veteran

Remember folks--DISNEY made the decision to extend the 25% discount on a future cruise or stay at Disney World. If I was on the ship I would love to take advantage of it. I myself am not jealous of the people that can. Disney did it because they can.
TChrist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
That is why I buy trip insurance. The insurance company has staff that make the new arrangements, including hotel if they can't get us out that day.
We do too. But that does not guarantee open seats on a last minute flight and there is always someone who needs to get home ASAP. I don't worry about getting home a day late but many people do.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05 View Post
Remember folks--DISNEY made the decision to extend the 25% discount on a future cruise or stay at Disney World. If I was on the ship I would love to take advantage of it. I myself am not jealous of the people that can. Disney did it because they can.
I'm not wishing for something to cause them to give me 25% off but I would take advantage for sure!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Mom of DisKids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05
Thank you for saying that..... I was on the ship. I did not complain, I did not write nasty comments on the comment card, and I certainly didn't whine and demand I get something for free. Disney offered this as we were leaving the boat this afternoon. I may even take advantage of the offer. But please don't assume we were all storming guest services looking for a handout!
I Sailed Through Hurricane Sandy on the Disney Fantasy 10/26/12
Mom of DisKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
keaster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of DisKids View Post
Thank you for saying that..... I was on the ship. I did not complain, I did not write nasty comments on the comment card, and I certainly didn't whine and demand I get something for free. Disney offered this as we were leaving the boat this afternoon. I may even take advantage of the offer. But please don't assume we were all storming guest services looking for a handout!
Momof Diskids...since you were on the ship, what did you experience? Was it as terrifying as others are posting on other threads?

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
Mom of DisKids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaster

Momof Diskids...since you were on the ship, what did you experience? Was it as terrifying as others are posting on other threads?
Wednesday afternoon......Castaway Cay is cancelled. It looks like the eye of the storm will be over the Bahamas on the 26th, which was CC day. Captain Tom shows maps of the storm before the evening shows and explains why he just cannot get us there. Everyone is very understanding.
Thursday........ Ship is rolling. I am seasick for the first time in my entire life. But waves aren't bad, just enough motion to feel affected. We are warned that Friday the waves will be worse. Sun is out at times so people are still in pool and going about the day.
Friday...... Cloudy, windy. Gusts up to 70mph. Aqua duck closed. Pools sloshing, but still open. Waves a bit rougher. It is my birthday and I am stuck in room with sick kid (DS 4, who had puked at dinner the night before and is running a temp.)
Friday late Afternoon, just before 1st seating dinner........Pools closed. Decks closed. Grey clouds, high winds. During 1st performance, a dancer falls. It was like they leapt, and when they landed the floor wasn't where it was supposed to be. If you took the stairs you could feel the same sensation. The step would be higher or lower than when you started the step. Walking becomes an Olympic sport. Must. Hold. Handrail. 630pm Captain Tom comes on speaker to say that conditions will remain like this through the night and to take precaution when walking around the ship. Announcements are made that we may not get back to Port Canaveral at the scheduled time and that breakfast and debarkation times have changed. Now there will be open seating at Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Court.
2nd seating dinner.......DS 9 is green around the gills, DD 6 is crying because her tummy hurts. I go to dinner with everyone, including DS 4, who no longer has a fever. DS 4 acts like he hasn't seen food in weeks and gobbles down a roll and apple juice. And then pukes all over his plate for the second night in a row. Other two kids are doing fine with some food in them. I give them some Dramamine and pop 2 meclazine for myself. Continue with dinner, get a birthday dessert, we all stumble back to our room.
10pm.......the fun begins. Waves are ridiculous. Tops of waves can be seen at 5th floor windows. Ship is pitching up and down, and it feels like a roller coaster. I go to 11th floor to beverage station to fill our mugs. Everything is closed. winds are howling. We don't want to put anyone in top bunk, so we settle in DS 9 and DD 6 into their bunks, and DS 4 sleeps with us. There will be no sleeping on this night, however. We are in room 9000. 9th floor, directly under the bridge. The ship is rolling side to side. When I say rolling, I mean that I actually rolled out of my bed onto the floor. The hangers in the closet would slide back and forth, the bathroom doors would fly open then slam shut. Ice bucket, glasses, wave phones, all on the floor. Thunderous crashes as waves would slam into the ship, so loud it sounded like a firework going off in the room. Somehow my kids are sleeping ( must have been the Dramamine DH and I are wide awake. It is next to impossible to walk in the room.
1245am......"When You Wish Upon A Star" comes piping into our room, followed by Captain Tom asking everyone to return to their rooms and stay there. I figure that if he is making this announcement over a loudspeaker into the rooms knowing kids are on board and possibly sleeping, he must mean business!
105am........Again with the music.... Then Captain Tom says " I want to reassure everyone that you are safe. This ship can handle the storm. You will be ok."
Saturday am........message over loudspeaker in rooms. " Sorry , folks, for the rough night. The waves and wind were worse than predicted". Off to Enchanted Garden at about 830 for breakfast. Broken pictures on ground. detective agency desk turned over. Merchandise on floor in gift shops. Broken glass in White Caps due to falling liquor bottles. Multiple crew members discussing openly with guests how frightened they were. Many guests already in lobby waiting to get off the ship. This won't happen anytime soon. We decide to go back to our rooms and let the kids watch cartoons and wait for an announcement. Announcement for 25% made. Debarkation begins at around 1145am. We don't get off ship until 145pm because so many people a trying to get off at once.

I am not a big panicker, so I never felt like "This is it!" I will admit to a bit of terror when Captain Tom came back on the speaker at 105am. I thought for sure he was going to tell us to get a life jacket on. I always felt like the ship could handle the storm but it was very uncomfortable and not something I wish to relive. I think that is what rattles a bunch a folks......Disney did not have the comfort of the guests as a priority. Yes I am alive and unhurt, but I was physically ill, and missed out on a full night's rest. Worse things could happen. I don't blame Disney for the weather. They may control many things, but that isn't one of them I didn't complain, I didn't write nasty comments on the comment card, I didn't descend on guest services demanding a full refund. But deep down I do feel that possibly the haste to return to port was more of a financial decision than a sane one.
I Sailed Through Hurricane Sandy on the Disney Fantasy 10/26/12
Mom of DisKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #27
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05
Thank You for saying this from me as well........ I was on the ship with my DH and kids. We didn't expect anything from Disney for the rough passage, and think that it was EXTREMELY generous of them to offer what they did. The first 4 days of our trip were worth what we paid IMO, but I can only speak for my family. I know that everyone on our sailing thread was WELL aware that sailing this time of year is a risk, but we didn't expect Hurricane Sandy! It is what it is, we're all safe and accounted for, and we will most definitely take advantage of what was offered to us. But no one that I saw ever ASKED for anything, and my comment card was raving.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #28
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of DisKids

Wednesday afternoon......Castaway Cay is cancelled. It looks like the eye of the storm will be over the Bahamas on the 26th, which was CC day. Captain Tom shows maps of the storm before the evening shows and explains why he just cannot get us there. Everyone is very understanding.
Thursday........ Ship is rolling. I am seasick for the first time in my entire life. But waves aren't bad, just enough motion to feel affected. We are warned that Friday the waves will be worse. Sun is out at times so people are still in pool and going about the day.
Friday...... Cloudy, windy. Gusts up to 70mph. Aqua duck closed. Pools sloshing, but still open. Waves a bit rougher. It is my birthday and I am stuck in room with sick kid (DS 4, who had puked at dinner the night before and is running a temp.)
Friday late Afternoon, just before 1st seating dinner........Pools closed. Decks closed. Grey clouds, high winds. During 1st performance, a dancer falls. It was like they leapt, and when they landed the floor wasn't where it was supposed to be. If you took the stairs you could feel the same sensation. The step would be higher or lower than when you started the step. Walking becomes an Olympic sport. Must. Hold. Handrail. 630pm Captain Tom comes on speaker to say that conditions will remain like this through the night and to take precaution when walking around the ship. Announcements are made that we may not get back to Port Canaveral at the scheduled time and that breakfast and debarkation times have changed. Now there will be open seating at Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Court.
2nd seating dinner.......DS 9 is green around the gills, DD 6 is crying because her tummy hurts. I go to dinner with everyone, including DS 4, who no longer has a fever. DS 4 acts like he hasn't seen food in weeks and gobbles down a roll and apple juice. And then pukes all over his plate for the second night in a row. Other two kids are doing fine with some food in them. I give them some Dramamine and pop 2 meclazine for myself. Continue with dinner, get a birthday dessert, we all stumble back to our room.
10pm.......the fun begins. Waves are ridiculous. Tops of waves can be seen at 5th floor windows. Ship is pitching up and down, and it feels like a roller coaster. I go to 11th floor to beverage station to fill our mugs. Everything is closed. winds are howling. We don't want to put anyone in top bunk, so we settle in DS 9 and DD 6 into their bunks, and DS 4 sleeps with us. There will be no sleeping on this night, however. We are in room 9000. 9th floor, directly under the bridge. The ship is rolling side to side. When I say rolling, I mean that I actually rolled out of my bed onto the floor. The hangers in the closet would slide back and forth, the bathroom doors would fly open then slam shut. Ice bucket, glasses, wave phones, all on the floor. Thunderous crashes as waves would slam into the ship, so loud it sounded like a firework going off in the room. Somehow my kids are sleeping ( must have been the Dramamine DH and I are wide awake. It is next to impossible to walk in the room.
1245am......"When You Wish Upon A Star" comes piping into our room, followed by Captain Tom asking everyone to return to their rooms and stay there. I figure that if he is making this announcement over a loudspeaker into the rooms knowing kids are on board and possibly sleeping, he must mean business!
105am........Again with the music.... Then Captain Tom says " I want to reassure everyone that you are safe. This ship can handle the storm. You will be ok."
Saturday am........message over loudspeaker in rooms. " Sorry , folks, for the rough night. The waves and wind were worse than predicted". Off to Enchanted Garden at about 830 for breakfast. Broken pictures on ground. detective agency desk turned over. Merchandise on floor in gift shops. Broken glass in White Caps due to falling liquor bottles. Multiple crew members discussing openly with guests how frightened they were. Many guests already in lobby waiting to get off the ship. This won't happen anytime soon. We decide to go back to our rooms and let the kids watch cartoons and wait for an announcement. Announcement for 25% made. Debarkation begins at around 1145am. We don't get off ship until 145pm because so many people a trying to get off at once.

I am not a big panicker, so I never felt like "This is it!" I will admit to a bit of terror when Captain Tom came back on the speaker at 105am. I thought for sure he was going to tell us to get a life jacket on. I always felt like the ship could handle the storm but it was very uncomfortable and not something I wish to relive. I think that is what rattles a bunch a folks......Disney did not have the comfort of the guests as a priority. Yes I am alive and unhurt, but I was physically ill, and missed out on a full night's rest. Worse things could happen. I don't blame Disney for the weather. They may control many things, but that isn't one of them I didn't complain, I didn't write nasty comments on the comment card, I didn't descend on guest services demanding a full refund. But deep down I do feel that possibly the haste to return to port was more of a financial decision than a sane one.
Ditto. Sounds like some of my Dinner seating with DS 9 and DS 7! It was ginger ale, green apples and crackers for us. And I also thought that when Captain Tom came on the second time, it was to tell us to get our life jackets out and start grabbing our medications and head to your muster station! Glad to know I wasn't the only one!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolar View Post
What is ABD?
Adventures by Disney. It's a division of Disney that does (FABULOUS!) escorted tours all over the world. Check them out here:

www.adventuresbydisney.com

Then stop by and check out the ABD forum here on the DIS:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

I was on this sailing. I'm surprised the captain sailed into this weather. This was a perfect recipe for rogue waves. IMHO he put his ship and passengers in danger. With all the navigation technology he knew what he was sailing into. It appears getting back to port was the priority last night. We should have hid out in the Bahamas for a while. IMHO

ETA; Perhaps the captain wanted to test the welds, hatches, bolts, glass endurance, and weather stripping.
They were studying/inspecting fore starboard around the anchor closely once docked.

Last edited by Bear3412; 10-27-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: