Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #1666
tamj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
We will be at WDW staying at the GF tomorrow. Wish us luck... we need two adjoining rooms and I'm hoping we are not near construction. We have Lagoon View. I will try to take some pics while there and post an update on Gasparilla's and pool. My DH will have computer with him.

Can't Wait!
d
I'm sure you're lost in the Magic and seeing double through the pixie dust, but if you have an update, I can't wait to hear it!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1667
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

We are here now - we fly back home tomorrow *sniff*...

We were super-surprised at check-in when we were upgraded to Sugarloaf, presumably because I added to our reservation that we are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary! What a lovely surprise! It's been great, and a real treat for our DD - she just loves feeling so pampered...we're all a bit spoiled now!

Yesterday, we rented a cabana for the first time, because the lack of adequate seating got to us after the first few days. It was so relaxing that we wondered why we'd never done it before. We'll definitely do it next time we're here.

Although I requested to be put on the marina side to avoid looking at the pool construction, we felt so blessed to be upgraded to Sugarloaf that it seemed ungracious to ask for a different view. With the enclosed balcony of the third floor dormer room we were in, once we sat down, we couldn't see the construction anyway, so it was all good. There was no noise, because there was no work being done all week.

Seven days have gone by so quickly! Any questions, ask away.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD14 ~ Gracie
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #1668
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

It must have been a week of upgrades! We are here now and we were upgraded from Sugar Loaf to a suite in the main building. Talk about being spoiled!

Booked our bounce back even though we would rather have the room discount. Wait and see what our AP gets us after the first of the year.

Hope everyone stays safe during Sandy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post

We were super-surprised at check-in when we were upgraded to Sugarloaf, presumably because I added to our reservation that we are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary! What a lovely surprise! It's been great, and a real treat for our DD - she just loves feeling so pampered...we're all a bit spoiled now!

Yesterday, we rented a cabana for the first time, because the lack of adequate seating got to us after the first few days. It was so relaxing that we wondered why we'd never done it before. We'll definitely do it next time we're here.

Although I requested to be put on the marina side to avoid looking at the pool construction, we felt so blessed to be upgraded to Sugarloaf that it seemed ungracious to ask for a different view. With the enclosed balcony of the third floor dormer room we were in, once we sat down, we couldn't see the construction anyway, so it was all good. There was no noise, because there was no work being done all week.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #1669
dipastor
Mouseketeer

Love it here

none

Last edited by dipastor; 10-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1670
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Agree weather has been super for having Sandy sitting out to our east.

Food and Wine was packed tonight!!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1671
dukiephi
Mouseketeer

Bounce back?

What was the current bounce back? We are going in December and hoping for December 2013 discount.

We changed to TPV to make sure and avoid view of pool under construction.
2014 GF TPV 11/15 - 11/22
2013 GF 11/30 - 12/6 TPV for DD's 7th birthday
2012 GF 12/7 - 12/16 for DD's 6th birthday
2011 GF 12/11 - 12/17 with DxDDP - Sister's First Trip to WDW and DD's 5th Birthday Trip
2010 GF 12/12-12/17 - First time on site and DxDDP (and DD's 4th birthday)
2009 Off site at Hyatt ~ MNSSHP ~ DD's 1st trip!
2007 Off site at Hilton DTD ~ MVMCP and 1st trip!

I love Disney!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #1672
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Current bounce back is free dining. With a hotel stay with tickets, sorry cant think of the terminology.

Lots of east coast folks scrambling to get home today. Wish them luck. We are headed to Hollywood studios.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #1673
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

jojomickey - with the report of no work this week (I assume due to weather), I highly doubt the pool will open early.

i_heart_the_mouse - congrats on your booking! As Jungle Cruiser posted, the GF has speakers that often broadcast the music at Gasparilla's, which would likely be able to be heard in the TPV main bldg. rooms. Even if the speakers are not working (as sometimes happens) you can usually hear it faintly from the MK.

Mouseturtle - nearly there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post

Thanks for the post, wonderful upgrade! I'm so happy for you, sounds like you are having a magical trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC1969 View Post
It must have been a week of upgrades! We are here now and we were upgraded from Sugar Loaf to a suite in the main building. Talk about being spoiled!

Booked our bounce back even though we would rather have the room discount. Wait and see what our AP gets us after the first of the year.

Hope everyone stays safe during Sandy!
Awesome upgrade! Spoiled is right, it will be tough to return without the suite now, huh?!

Quote:
We are here and very happy to be.
When we checked in the CM told us he had a great two rooms overlooking the new vacation club villas. I said (in nice words) absolutely not. We requested to be away from construction.

He moved us to two rooms in Boca Chica. We couldn't be happier. The view overlooks future world.. part of the castle and Contemporary. The view is amazing and we like watching the boats go by.

Bathrooms another story but happy to report easily fixable. The next morning after check in I noticed they weren't clean. I saw a housekeeping manager and asked in a nice way if they could please clean them. Happy to say when we returned from a full day away... the minute you walk into the hotel rooms, the smell is clean, clean ,clean. They were very accommodating. That's what I love about this place.

we went to Mizner's for last minute drinks tonight... and again, very accommodating. What they didn't have out... they got for us (I requested some perrier).. they were so nice.
suggestion: don't be afraid to ask for what you don't see.

The pool construction is still underway. I have to say... we really enjoyed walking through courtyard pool area... but.... the walls are nice and we are really not feeling like it's a construction zone. We still like the walk to main building and we have been walking the long way past the marina area... love it.

Gasparilla's construction is so shut off... you don't notice it.
Sandy Cove construction, same thing. It's not noticeable.

New splash area.. amazing!!! We haven't used it because my youngest broke her arm... but my boys will def. be there this week. It's really nice looking and the light green walls around beach pool do not seem intrusive. Even in the rain.. it's been really nice to be here.

I will get some pictures attached this weekend. If you have a particular interest for pics... let me know and I will take the pic and post.

They still have movies on the grassy area (we noticed that last night).

For the weather worried people... they forecasted heavy rain but there was only a spritz today. Weather is amazing!!! very breezy and warm.

Vacation club construction... bones of the building up only... only steel structure as far as I can see.

d.
Thanks for the thorough update, glad you are there and enjoying the Grand. I'm so happy they moved you to Boca, much nicer view.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #1674
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are here and very happy to be.
When we checked in the CM told us he had a great two rooms overlooking the new vacation club villas. ...
I chuckled when I read this, but am I the only one to find this description a bit disingenuous? I can imagine some poor family who doesn't keep up with current events @ WDW walking into their 'great [view of]... the DVC villas' expecting to see actual finished and landscaped villas only to be confronted w/ a skeleton steel edifice.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #1675
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

That was pretty funny
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 10-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #1676
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Hmm, it seems to me that the only rooms that really overlook the construction are in RPC? Those in Big Pine Key are to the East and would directly face the lagoon with a view of the villas to the right. If I were offered two great rooms overlooking the villas, I think I'd ask which building?

Good luck with Sandy all of those on the East coast.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #1677
andyman8
DIS Veteran

We really want to stay at GF for a potential August 2013 trip, but we haven't booked yet and I just looked and it seems like all GV rooms at GF are sold out for August 7-12, 2013 (which, in my opinion, is ridiculous). I just don't understand how all GV rooms could be booked up overnight. No conference is that large!

I mean last year we were able to book a GV room a month before 4th of July with our FL Resident rate. How can this be?

Walt Disney World Resort

March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop, AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort
October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)
Disneyland Resort
August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)
Upcoming
Walt Disney World June 2014 (GF for 5 Nights/5 Days)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 10-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #1678
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Hmm, it seems to me that the only rooms that really overlook the construction are in RPC? Those in Big Pine Key are to the East and would directly face the lagoon with a view of the villas to the right. If I were offered two great rooms overlooking the villas, I think I'd ask which building?

Good luck with Sandy all of those on the East coast.
Hmm, good point, for an upgrade to RPC I might suddenly develop a fascination with ongoing villa construction.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #1679
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

That's good to know about booking a month out last 4th of July. We booked now but really are hoping for a big $ discount after the winter.

Weather today was a little cooler but still very doable! Too hot for hoodie and too cold for shorts and t-shirt.

Sitting here on balcony I can see inside the pool. The rebar is anchored in the bottom. Looks like they are ready to poor concrete any day.

Lots of east coasters bailing out today or early in the AM! Good luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #1680
tamj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC1969 View Post
That's good to know about booking a month out last 4th of July. We booked now but really are hoping for a big $ discount after the winter.

Weather today was a little cooler but still very doable! Too hot for hoodie and too cold for shorts and t-shirt.

Sitting here on balcony I can see inside the pool. The rebar is anchored in the bottom. Looks like they are ready to poor concrete any day.

Lots of east coasters bailing out today or early in the AM! Good luck!
Currently talking to a CM at online reservations. The pool opening date is Dec 17th! Hoping dh will say 'book it!'
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: