Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
tinkermomma
Mouseketeer

Best shows for a toddler

I am guessing muppet theatre and turtle talk are going to me right up my two year old's alley, and I remember seeing a fair amount if little people at It's tough to be a bug and the tiki room, but it seems like Aladdin at 40 minutes may be a little longer than we want for this trip.

Are there any other small shows that I'm missing? Golden Horseshoe?

Also not exactly a show at all but how do toddlers fare at the animation academy. She is really into painting and drawing even at two, but I can't remember what areas are more geared for little people.

Last but certainly not least. Fantastic and WOC. My guess is that fantastic has the sitting on blanket thing going for it as far as waiting but that WOC can be more visually compelling for the smaller set? I don't know.

Anyone had a much better experience with a toddler at one over the other? I would love to see both but don't want to push it.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
~Uncle Walter
tinkermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
smiles33
DIS Veteran

We went when my youngest was 2 and she liked: Animation Academy (pretty much sat in my lap and scribbled when we were taught to draw Mickey), Aladdin, and Turtle Talk. Didn't pay attention at all to the show at the Thunder Ranch BBQ and fell asleep before WOC started (I put noise-cancelling earmuffs on her so she could sleep through it). The fireworks scared her as we were leaving (I had taken off the earmuffs as we walked out and we were in the Esplanade when she woke up) so it may depend on whether your toddler stays up late and if s/he is scared of loud noises.

We didn't see the Tough to Be a Bug show as my older 5 year old didn't want to see it.
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

My kids would be terrified by tough to be a bug. I'd suggest that you preview a YouTube video of that one. What about the Disney Junior show? Mine love it!
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
NiceOneSimba
Mouseketeer

My DD has ben to DL twice, at almost 3 and 3.5. Both times, she loved MuppetVision. The first time, we sat in the front row and she was a little spooked by Sweetums. The second time, we sat more in the middle of the theater and she was fine.

She is also a fan of the Tiki Room. The first time, she was pretty freaked out by the tiki god portion of the show (it's pretty loud and low/bassy, and combined with the "thunder" she was pretty scared). The second trip, though, she loved it!

She enjoyed WOC. We were lucky to be with my mom, who uses an ECV. My husband also has a bum ankle, so we were able to use the handicapped seating area. He was able to sit on a bench and hold her on his lap, which made the wait MUCH more bearable, and it meant that she could atually see.

She loved the fireworks and parades, too.

Other shows to consider: Disney Junior/Playhouse Disney. We never went, because the times just never lined up with our plans. But I know she would have loved it. I don't know if they're still doing the princess storytelling now that the princesses have moved out of Princess Fantasy Faire, but she loved that, too. And anything with music where she could dance around was always a big hit--the band, the Dapper Dans...that sort of thing. We never went, but I know lots of kids love Billy Hill. I think he's over at the Big Thunder Roundup these days.

Hope this helps!
WDW Trips: 11/1978 DLR Trips: 7/1988 (first visit!), 7/1991, 4/2008 (with students) Anabella, 4/2011 (with students) Anabella, 9/2011 (DD's first trip!) BWPPI, 8/2012 Tropicana, 1/18-20/2014 (Tink Half Marathon) BWPPI, 1/29-2/2/2014 (DD's 5th birthday surprise!) DI&S
Upcoming: Innaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend (Rebel Challenge) DI&S
NiceOneSimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

I think "It's Tough to Be a Bug" is scary for a two year old. When my DD was 2, she liked Aladdin, but did start to get antsy near the end. Didn't do Turtle Talk, but I've seen it before and I would think that would be good. She liked Fantasmic and World of Color. Waiting was a bit hard, but we planned dinner for that time, so that worked well. Disney Junior would be good too, especially if she watches any of the shows on TV. They do a lot of dancing and effects geared toward little ones (like bubbles). Don't underestimate parades for that age, either. I know my kids have always enjoyed them. I don't think she was a big fan of the Tiki room, which was surprising to me, because we have a Disneyland CD and she knew the music and was looking forward to it (maybe too high expectations - LOL).
lisachrystine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

Don't miss Disney junior! It's a fantastic show for the little ones! It's tough to be a bug can be very frightening for little ones. It has hopper, spiders, and yellow jackets with a pretty intense 4d experience. My 6 year old finally was ok in it after being so scared at 3 he didn't want to go back. Aladdin is long, but holds attention pretty well.
Stitch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
scrapshappen
Mouseketeer

Our youngest at six year old was completely terrified by It's tough to be a Bug. So much so, that he doesn't ever want to do it again.

The Disney Jr. Show is perfect for a toddler.

When we took our oldest at 2 he fell asleep during Aladdin. We just went during nap time and he conked out at soon as the show started.
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
tinkermomma
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

You all are so right about it's a bug's life. I saw it many years ago and don't know what I was thinking putting it in our plans. I mean I loved it but, yeah... Scary. And I had forgotten she's not a big fan of 3d glasses. Ha!! Bad mommy!

Thanks for mentioning Disney Jr. And the princess faire, those both make a lot of sense.

She probably will sleep through either or both of the shows. Do you think a week is enough time to get noise canceling earmuffs?
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
~Uncle Walter
tinkermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

I bought ours from amazon.com and they have 1 day shipping
Stitch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Yeah, Amazon all the way. Pelter earmuffs. Totally worth it for my noise-sensitive DDs. My 5 year old even used them during WOC as we were right by a speaker.
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
coaches24
DIS Veteran

My DD was 2 on her first trip and she loved Aladdin. They had the flying carpet then that she loved but she also loved the parade with the elephants and such as well. Also the Disney Jr show was also a hit. If your child watches the D jr shows she will love that show. Yes Tiki room was a favorite as well. My DD didn't last long enough for the night shows like F! and WOC and I'm not sure if she would have liked them anyway as they might have been scary for her then. Though she was braver then with those kinds of things then she is now at 4.

Facvorite rides at that age were Winnie the Pooh and carousel in fantasy land. Also loved PP once we got her to agree to go on it.

Last edited by coaches24; 10-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
coaches24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
stlm
Earning My Ears

DD2 lived the parades, Disney Jr Live! And her favorite rides were the Teacups at DL and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree at DCA!
stlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Every kid is different. My DS 2 & 4 love It's Tough to be a Bug.

I agree w/ everyone else regarding Disney Junior. We love it.

Another option I strongly recommend is dancing with Disney. My boys loved it. Cinderella's stepsisters proposed to them. Jake wasn't there but Smee was. We stayed in there for 2 hours. Great character interaction.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: