DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #91
lsutigger2

DIS Veteran

We will be at HH May 4 - May 11, 2013. We love HH. this will be our fifth trip. DH golfs and I sit and relax. We have a one-bedroom booked.

My two nieces, their husbands, and my great niece - who will be almost four at the time of the trip, will be joining us in a two-bedroom from May 8 - May 11.

We are all looking forward to our trip
lsutigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #92
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheltz27
Does anyone know how bad Memorial Day weekend is at the resort & beach? Is it best to avoid if possible? Shoulder to shoulder on the beach is not my idea of a good time. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I have been there over Memorial Day and it was fine. We stayed at a different resort though. You didn't have the beach to yourself by any means but we didn't feel crowded. It makes a difference if it is high or low tide though.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #93
pamlet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice
We bought a small add-on at HHI so that we could travel the first week of April every three years and stay in a 1BR for Sunday-Thursday. We have a 15-point cushion to allow for point reallocations, but since that first week of April often falls aroound Easter, we knew we'd need the 11-month window. For next year, we offered to bring my parents along and book a 2BR. We had enough points to book 4 nights at 11 months and planned on booking the last night at 7 months. Well, my dad (God bless him!) would like to stay on Saturday night as well. So, I booked a cash reservation at 11-months for Saturday and (Easter) Sunday with the plan of switching Sunday to points (only 25!) when the 7-month window opened. Well, I work nights and didn't set my alarm so by the time I got around to calling (at noon), there were no 2BR's available for Sunday . This is the first time I have not been on the phone at 9am sharp and now I'm paying for it. I did waitlist for that one night, but I really doubt it will come through.

(I'm getting to my questions...hang on ...)

So, now our budget has jumped considerably since we will have to pay cash for two nights at a rate of about $500/night . This will be my parents' first trip to HHI. Dad loves to golf (mom just likes it) so they want to play at least one round, possibly two. I don't know the whole "handicap" thing but dad's 18-hole rounds are generally high-70's to low-80's...mom's like me and lucky if she breaks 100 . They both golf fairly regularly so there would not be an issue with etiquette or falling off a pace. What would be some good courses to try out? We're looking for a balance of affordable price, reasonable difficulty and decent amenities.

Second question...we're considering a day-trip to Savanna. We've never been there so we would like to do a "guided" tour. I looked at some of the "on-and-off" trolley tours and those look perfect. My question is, where EXACTLY do you go to "start" one of these tours? How much time should we allot? Do you need reservations and if so, how far out? What is the approximate cost? Parking fees? Can/Should we bring a picnic-type lunch? Or is there an eatery (budget and family-friendly) that you'd recommend? Tell me everything .

Third question...Nature stuff...kids love everything in the outdoors! DD's will be 7 and 9 and so I'm interested in aga-appropriate, low-cost nature "stuff". Pinckney Island? I've read very little about it but IIRC, there is a "tour" that you can do. I'm not completely against the self-guided stuff, but the kids love interacting with the naturalists at the resort so a "guided" expedition would be preferred. On our last trip, we did the dolphin tours and the girls combed the beach for "critters" but that was it. We'd like to do a little more this time.

My dad is a little concerned because he is a WDW park commando. He is "afraid" that there just won't be enough stuff to keep him occupied at HHI . I tried to explain to him that that's the beauty of this vacation....there's enough to do to keep you occupied, but not so much to do that you feel the need to go, go, go!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
pamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #94
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobewed07
We are thinking about our 1st trip the first week in August.

2 questions

How easy is it to book if this is not your home resort?
Not easy, and note that there are very few studios and 1BR. This is what sets HHI apart: the vast majority of rooms are dedicated 2BR. So be sure to have enough points for a 2BR if you're gonna book at 7 mo in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobewed07
How crowded does it get in August?
End of August is not that crowded I believe.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #95
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Here is the monthly update of the seasonal forecast for Hilton Head.

Still no El Nino onset, therefore a strong El Nino event is quite unlikely for this winter. Colder than average temperatures are forecasted at the world this winter, but not at HHI. Spring is now looking good as well! Above average temperature are still forecasted for the summer of 2013.

So here is my temperature forecast for 2013 in Hilton Head (issued Oct. 24th, 2012):

Jan-Feb: average
Mar-July: warmer than average
Aug: average
Sep: warmer than average
Oct-Dec: average

These are **average** forecasted conditions for each month, (compared to typical temperature for the month). Even when the forecast is correct, weather on individual days can be quite different from the average.

More details here:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/outl...hs&site=384169
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #96
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012 View Post
Not easy, and note that there are very few studios and 1BR. This is what sets HHI apart: the vast majority of rooms are dedicated 2BR. So be sure to have enough points for a 2BR if you're gonna book at 7 mo in August.

End of August is not that crowded I believe.
Are the majority of the 2BR, true 2BR with two queen beds in the second room or are they a 1BR and studio combined? We are going to be trying to get into a 2BR June 23-28. We had to change our dates due to DD dance recital.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #97
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner

Are the majority of the 2BR, true 2BR with two queen beds in the second room or are they a 1BR and studio combined? We are going to be trying to get into a 2BR June 23-28. We had to change our dates due to DD dance recital.
There are 21 lockoff villas (1BR + 1 studio) vs 76 dedicated ("true") 2BR. Plus 5 GV. This is a small resort.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #98
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012

There are 21 lockoff villas (1BR + 1 studio) vs 76 dedicated ("true") 2BR. Plus 5 GV. This is a small resort.
Awesome, sounds like we have a pretty good chance of getting a true 2 br

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #99
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Hello thread followers,

Anybody wants to help Kupiecb identify the best dining options at Hilton Head?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ht=hilton+head

Last edited by okw2012; 10-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.
okw2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #100
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

MY WAITLIST CAME THROUGH!!!

I had to call MS to get the points straightened out because they were supposed to borrow my 2014 HHI points before using current AKV points (which they didn't), but it was easily fixed.

I also asked about the cash night. When I originally booked (at 11 months), I booked Sat and Sun on cash with the intention of switching Sunday to points at 7 months. When I had to waitlist Sunday night, I had it noted that if the waitlist filled, that night should be cancelled from the cash reservation. I was told that I had to pay a one-night deposit ($248.32 total, which included the member discount) but that was the 2012 rate. I was told I would receive an "invoice" for the difference when the 2013 rates were released. Well, in August, the CRO website shows the 2013 rates and a 2BR is $512 + tax. So I figured that we'd be looking at about $400 per night with the discount. I never received an "invoice" so I asked about it today. I told the CM that we'd paid our 1-night deposit and I wondered how much more we will still owe since it is now only a 1-night reservation. She told me that the reservation is PAID IN FULL. She confirmed that the $248.32 is the CORRECT amount for that Saturday night, March 30, 2013. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I am so excited because I thought I was going to need about $400 for that night. Now, I only owe my dad $125 since he paid the one-night deposit! That $275 difference is over 10% of our budget so that is a nice unexpected savings.

I pray that our good fortune did not come about because someone was affected by Sandy and had to cancel. We are praying for those who have lost so much and hoping that the relief efforts will be speedy and effective.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #101
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveswdw View Post
We are hoping for a spring break trip since we had to cancel our upcoming fall break trip.
We are currently waitlisted for March 31-April 5. Keeping our hopes up that it comes through!
Did yours come through?

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #102
jheltz27
Mouseketeer

Currently have a studio for Saturday, May 25th to Thursday, May 30th but we're trying to push back 1 day to the Sunday so we aren't there too much during the Memorial Day weekend. Have it wait listed but no Sunday is showing up for either that weekend or the weekend after. I guess that is due to the shortage of studios. Fingers crossed.

jheltz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #103
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheltz27
Currently have a studio for Saturday, May 25th to Thursday, May 30th but we're trying to push back 1 day to the Sunday so we aren't there too much during the Memorial Day weekend. Have it wait listed but no Sunday is showing up for either that weekend or the weekend after. I guess that is due to the shortage of studios. Fingers crossed.

Good luck, but indeed there are few studios (and 1BR for that matter).
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #104
CarlaT
Earning My Ears

All booked check in Mon May 27, check out Sun Jun 3 in a studio. I'm on the waitlist for Sun May 26. This will be our 3rd trip to Hilton Head. Our family are me, DH and DS age 11. Can't wait! This resort is one of our favorites.
Carla
CarlaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #105
susieq76
DIS Veteran

All booked! We have a 2BR villa for June 3rd to June 7th! YAY!!!!

susieq76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: