Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #46
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran
 
Kristibo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ithaca, ny
Posts: 789

What is Beastly Kingdom?
__________________
ME47 DH48 DD19

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #47
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran
 
Reddog1134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
What is Beastly Kingdom?
An area in the original Animal Kingdom plans that was cut when the budget was reduced. It was to be themed to fantasy animals (hence the dragon at the front gates and the unicorn parking lot).

Supposedly the Imagineers responsible for the design took the plans to Universal and built the Dueling Dragons coaster.
__________________
The twins are coming
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #48
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,887

Walt Disney's Imagineering's Official Motto is now:

"Trust Only the Shovels"


we all need to remember this
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #49
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflmaster View Post
Any chance this E-ticket ride could be something similiar to forbidden journey at harry potter?

That is the kind of technology that Disney needs to bring Avatar to life. Just make it 3D and I will be in line waiting to ride.

Unfortunately, not likely to happen. Universal was smart and secured exclusive Themepark rights to the Kuka Arm technology when they created Forbidden Journey. I think, if I remember what I read correctly, they have exclusivity on the robotic arm in a dark ride tech for about 10yrs ( of which obviously a couple years have already been burned due to Forbidden Journey's opening a couple years ago.).

The "Sum of All Thrills" attraction in Innoventions utilizes the Kuka Arms as well, but it's a use of the tech that has been available, and directly marketted, for a few years now so that type of simulator isn't impacted by the theme park rights which Universal negotiated.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #50
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile ~Thoughts...

~I just learned about the "BIG" news that Universal is suppose to announce on November 1st. With this information, I just can't help but think that this "leak" is strategic and intentional -- couple that with the images of the New Test Track entrance that were posted today, which will also coincidentally be unveiled this week, leads me to believe all of this is another chess move in Disney's subtle way of "answering" Universal. But, will it be enough???

~Universal fans have [BIG] expectations for Phase II, plus a bonus Transformers ride! So, far I think Universal is winning the battle among hottest new attractions, but over time Disney will slowly win the war by consistently plussing all four parks. Avatar alone may not be able to take down Potter. The plans are nice enough, but I don't see $500,000,000 (half a billion), at least not yet. But a collective effort of various new attractions and features could prove to be a formidable force in silencing the Beast that is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am hoping for a "bonus" third attraction for Avatarland, a real E ticket attraction. Cedar Point is unveiling an amazing new Winged Coaster called the "GateKeeper" in 2013. This coaster would be great with an AVATAR theme.




~The price tag for this coaster is just under $30 Million! I know its basic and in typical Cedar Point fashion, they will drop this coaster right on the ground under the HOT sun, lol. Obviously, it's not "Disney" and the coaster will more than likely lack those "immersive" details and elaborate queues, but, it's a record breaker and still super impressive.

~As a bit of an aside, I would also love to see Monster's Inc or Wreck It Ralph expanded upon at DHS. A coaster/and or thrill ride and a few family rides would be awesome! Anyway, I'm excited and can't wait to hear more details on Avatarland!!!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #51
cymonster
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4

what about a soarin type ride but kind of like the manta (sea world Orlando ) a flying type ride with that would be awesome. Mabye even make it 4d water, etc.
i heard that Beastly Kingdom was going to have a roller coaster was it a possibility it was put as the rock n roller coaster because when they cut the budget the coaster was already on order so they just rethemed it and moved it to DHS
cymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #52
stindall
Congress Tart
 
stindall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I just learned about the "BIG" news that Universal is suppose to announce on November 1st. With this information, I just can't help but think that this "leak" is strategic and intentional -- couple that with the images of the New Test Track entrance that were posted today, which will also coincidentally be unveiled this week, leads me to believe all of this is another chess move in Disney's subtle way of "answering" Universal. But, will it be enough???

~Universal fans have [BIG] expectations for Phase II, plus a bonus Transformers ride! So, far I think Universal is winning the battle among hottest new attractions, but over time Disney will slowly win the war by consistently plussing all four parks. Avatar alone may not be able to take down Potter. The plans are nice enough, but I don't see $500,000,000 (half a billion), at least not yet. But a collective effort of various new attractions and features could prove to be a formidable force in silencing the Beast that is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am hoping for a "bonus" third attraction for Avatarland, a real E ticket attraction. Cedar Point is unveiling an amazing new Winged Coaster called the "GateKeeper" in 2013. This coaster would be great with an AVATAR theme.




~The price tag for this coaster is just under $30 Million! I know its basic and in typical Cedar Point fashion, they will drop this coaster right on the ground under the HOT sun, lol. Obviously, it's not "Disney" and the coaster will more than likely lack those "immersive" details and elaborate queues, but, it's a record breaker and still super impressive.

~As a bit of an aside, I would also love to see Monster's Inc or Wreck It Ralph expanded upon at DHS. A coaster/and or thrill ride and a few family rides would be awesome! Anyway, I'm excited and can't wait to hear more details on Avatarland!!!
I love Harry Potter and I grew up reading each book but I've never had a desire to go to Universal. ever. I do frequent other parks but Disney will always have me coming back, regardless of what Universal has to offer. I am dying to ride GateKeeper however. We live about 4 hours from Cedar Point and I went for the first time in August. AMAZING PARK!...but it has nothing on Disney, even with Gate Keeper opening next year.
__________________

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -






stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #53
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymonster View Post
what about a soarin type ride but kind of like the manta (sea world Orlando ) a flying type ride with that would be awesome. Mabye even make it 4d water, etc.
i heard that Beastly Kingdom was going to have a roller coaster was it a possibility it was put as the rock n roller coaster because when they cut the budget the coaster was already on order so they just rethemed it and moved it to DHS

~Wow, I didn't know that, but it makes a lot of sense! Okay, so I just had to check out a pic of the Manta, and I agree with you, something like that would be awesome!!! Plus, it looks very AVATAR-ish, lol!


~I googled the cost of this coaster and figures amount to around $50 Million, give or take. I don't know, but the reason why I am expecting a big thrill ride of some sort, is because the demographic of AVATAR fans is likely comprised of tween, teen, & young adult males. This group will more than likely want to experience thrill based rides, more than any other group. So, I guess we'll have to wait & see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
I love Harry Potter and I grew up reading each book but I've never had a desire to go to Universal. ever. I do frequent other parks but Disney will always have me coming back, regardless of what Universal has to offer. I am dying to ride GateKeeper however. We live about 4 hours from Cedar Point and I went for the first time in August. AMAZING PARK!...but it has nothing on Disney, even with Gate Keeper opening next year.
~Good for you! There is absolutely no shame in being a devout Disney lover! Initially, Universal had never appealed to me either, but this Potter thing has certainly peaked my interest, and I now I see there is a lot more to appreciate beyond that. I haven't been to Universal, Sea World or anything outside of Disney, yet. But, I think I'm going to plan a visit once Phase II is complete, plus my children should be tall enough by then to enjoy most of the rides there. Cedar Point advertises heavily where I live, and our kids are already asking to go, but they just aren't tall enough for the big rides. I haven't been to Cedar Point in years, and I don't think I'll visit again until our kids are teenagers!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #54
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymonster View Post
what about a soarin type ride but kind of like the manta (sea world Orlando ) a flying type ride with that would be awesome. Mabye even make it 4d water, etc.
i heard that Beastly Kingdom was going to have a roller coaster was it a possibility it was put as the rock n roller coaster because when they cut the budget the coaster was already on order so they just rethemed it and moved it to DHS
Actually... The idea for the Beastly Kingdom Coaster was Built.... Just not at disney. Universal's Dueling Dragons Coaster is what is commonly believed to have been the ride idea designed for Beastly Kingdom. It was brought to Universal by the Disney Imagineers who went to Universal Creative after Disney laid them off.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #55
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found
 
MJMcBride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
What is Beastly Kingdom?
http://www.jamboeveryone.com/Blog/En...have_been.html

That may help
__________________
Ms. Jobson, no one in Africa calls them Thomson's gazelles. They are tommies! tommies!


WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM


Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #56
ShellyG
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: England
Posts: 44

I am not sure if I like the Avatar idea but AK does need some new rides, and Disney definitely needs some new thrill rides (adrenaline Junkie here!!)
__________________
Me DH




1987-1995 Enclave Suites, Omni Rosen, Comfort Inn (?) 1 more offsite and The GF. 1997 - CBR. 2007 - Disneymoon WDW dolphin. 2010 - AKL and 2013 - POR.
ShellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #57
mdisney31
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2

Thumbs down Down with Avatarland

Sorry but the movie was not that good. It was ok. There are so many things Disney could have done to update/improve AK. There is no doubt a facelift is in order, Avatar does not say Disney to me.
mdisney31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #58
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdisney31 View Post
Sorry but the movie was not that good. It was ok. There are so many things Disney could have done to update/improve AK. There is no doubt a facelift is in order, Avatar does not say Disney to me.
how about we give it a chance and maybe see some concept art before we right it off
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #59
Dabelsteen
Earning My Ears
 
Dabelsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 66

Personally think Avatar fits perfectly with AK's theme. The central message of the park has always been conservation and eco friendly messages....Yes the film is little more than a cartoon version of Dances with Wolves but it was not bad, hugely popular and fits the message. Makes total sense to me.

But to those who are saying it, I agree there needs to be some serious E Ticket rides to make me sit through the message.
__________________
I was BOOed by mamato3princesses

1974 Ramada Inn, 1977 Holiday Inn, 1985 Days Inn Maingate, 1987 Super 8, 1989 Larson's Lodge, 1995 Holiday Inn, 2001 Coronado Springs, 2002 West Gate Lakes, 2004 Holiday Inn Main Gate West, 2005 POP Century, 2006 Travel Lodge Hotel Main Gate East, 2006 Seralago Suites, 2008 Caribe Royal, 2007 Fun Spot Hotel, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Seralago Suites, 2011 Holiday Inn Main Gate East, 2012 POP Century
Dabelsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #60
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran
 
mickey&minniealways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,709

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I just learned about the "BIG" news that Universal is suppose to announce on November 1st. With this information, I just can't help but think that this "leak" is strategic and intentional -- couple that with the images of the New Test Track entrance that were posted today, which will also coincidentally be unveiled this week, leads me to believe all of this is another chess move in Disney's subtle way of "answering" Universal. But, will it be enough???

~Universal fans have [BIG] expectations for Phase II, plus a bonus Transformers ride! So, far I think Universal is winning the battle among hottest new attractions, but over time Disney will slowly win the war by consistently plussing all four parks. Avatar alone may not be able to take down Potter. The plans are nice enough, but I don't see $500,000,000 (half a billion), at least not yet. But a collective effort of various new attractions and features could prove to be a formidable force in silencing the Beast that is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am hoping for a "bonus" third attraction for Avatarland, a real E ticket attraction. Cedar Point is unveiling an amazing new Winged Coaster called the "GateKeeper" in 2013. This coaster would be great with an AVATAR theme.




~The price tag for this coaster is just under $30 Million! I know its basic and in typical Cedar Point fashion, they will drop this coaster right on the ground under the HOT sun, lol. Obviously, it's not "Disney" and the coaster will more than likely lack those "immersive" details and elaborate queues, but, it's a record breaker and still super impressive.

~As a bit of an aside, I would also love to see Monster's Inc or Wreck It Ralph expanded upon at DHS. A coaster/and or thrill ride and a few family rides would be awesome! Anyway, I'm excited and can't wait to hear more details on Avatarland!!!
Love the Avatar movie and can't wait to see it come to Disney. However this type of coaster has absolutley no apeal to me. I am terrified of heights. I can do a few coasters like Big thunder Mountain as long as I close my eyes when on the outside parts. But this, no way. There are to many open air coaster like this at Universal. Hence the reason I have no interest in going there other than to maybe check out Harry Potter. Not enough themeing to go with a coaster of this type for Disney in my opinion.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: