Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
nbliss
Mouseketeer

This 4-5 day parkhopper line business is you know what!

So, we have been here since Monday of this week. I've had them check my parkhoppers (5day) and ID each time we parkhop (couple times a day), but today, I was FURIOUS. Went to our only early entry day (staying off property), and we didn't even get inside until 8:20! Why? Oh, because we were forced to use the 4-5 day parkhopper line (only two were open), which stretched all the way back to the DCA entrance! RIDICULOUS!!!! Other lines to enter DL were less than 1/2 that length (all MM entry). The lady ahead of us had waited in another line and once she got to the front was told to go to the 4-5 parkhopper line, they wouldn't let her in there. The only sign was right in front of the gate stating this. This is just crazy. They need better signage and more open lines. I feel like we were being punished. I asked the lady were they going to open more lines? Of course, once we got to the gate finally, they opened two more. I didn't take the time to talk to a manager about it (although I did ask who I should complain to), because I wanted to enjoy what was left of our MM. I do plan on writing a letter to Disney about this. I asked another CM why they are even bothering with hand stamps when they are checking the passes and ID's too, she just said there has been a lot of fraud with 4-5 day park hoppers. Apparently, people are renting out their days. I get that they are having issues and need better controls, but really, they are making many folks very upset.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Sorry that happened. I know what it's like to have to wait to get in on a MM and end up missing much of it. Mine was in may for a computer glitch that charged 2 days to my hopper on the first day there. Didn't know it till my last day there and ended up not getting in until over half the MMH had passed even though we were one of the first in line that day. Sorry you had to deal with that and I hope DL fixes this issue real soon!
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Geemo
DIS Veteran

Was this for your first entry of the day in to the parks? I have heard about the lines for entry to Disneyland. Are they doing the same for California Adventure?

I don't mind showing ID, along with my ticket with my name on it. I'd like to see fraud dealt with. However, This is segregation and discrimination to those with 4 and 5 day passes. I feel this is a form or harassment.

EVERYONE should be able to use any of the OPEN entry gates to the park.

It might be worth while to contact Disney directly about how "We Feel" about this.

It will be interesting how Disney chooses to handle the line issue for 4 and 5 day passes.

Good Luck to those going in the next few weeks.

Geemo
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
nbliss
Mouseketeer

Yes, they are doing this at both parks. It's ridiculous. The signage is minimal, and it's completely frustrating. Again, I don't mind showing my ID, but punishing me because I hold a 5 day park hopper pass is not right.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
tinkerbelt
DIS Veteran

The ID requirement sounds like a pain. They should just do what they do with AP's and attach a Photopass picture to the ticket. So much better than having to dig out ID every time you enter the parks.

tinkerbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Tif
Earning My Ears

I'm a little confused ... why ask for ID? We just got 6 day park hopper tickets ... is there another line for those too? And the tickets don't have names on them so I don't see where an ID would matter.

We go next week so any more info would be great! Sounds like a headache, especially since 2 people in our party could only do 5 days (and will obviously have to wait in a very long separated line from us).
Tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
Blue32
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbliss View Post
So, we have been here since Monday of this week. I've had them check my parkhoppers (5day) and ID each time we parkhop (couple times a day), but today, I was FURIOUS. Went to our only early entry day (staying off property), and we didn't even get inside until 8:20! Why? Oh, because we were forced to use the 4-5 day parkhopper line (only two were open), which stretched all the way back to the DCA entrance! RIDICULOUS!!!! Other lines to enter DL were less than 1/2 that length (all MM entry). The lady ahead of us had waited in another line and once she got to the front was told to go to the 4-5 parkhopper line, they wouldn't let her in there. The only sign was right in front of the gate stating this. This is just crazy. They need better signage and more open lines. I feel like we were being punished. I asked the lady were they going to open more lines? Of course, once we got to the gate finally, they opened two more. I didn't take the time to talk to a manager about it (although I did ask who I should complain to), because I wanted to enjoy what was left of our MM. I do plan on writing a letter to Disney about this. I asked another CM why they are even bothering with hand stamps when they are checking the passes and ID's too, she just said there has been a lot of fraud with 4-5 day park hoppers. Apparently, people are renting out their days. I get that they are having issues and need better controls, but really, they are making many folks very upset.
Can I ask what time you arrived at the gates? Just wondering when folks are lining up to get to the front of those two lines...
Blue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Kittyskyfish
Wee little ears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif View Post
I'm a little confused ... why ask for ID? We just got 6 day park hopper tickets ... is there another line for those too? And the tickets don't have names on them so I don't see where an ID would matter.

We go next week so any more info would be great! Sounds like a headache, especially since 2 people in our party could only do 5 days (and will obviously have to wait in a very long separated line from us).
Disney has been battling a large number of "ticket renters" - illegal vendors who buy 4+ day passes and then advertise and rent them out to visitors who want to visit for a day or two but not pay the price of a one or two-day pass. Long story short, they arrange pick ups and drop offs of the tickets and usually can get multiple customers to use one pass before it's expired.

Now Disney is striking back with requiring the ticket holder of a 4+ day pass to write their name on the back of the ticket and show matching ID at these selected gates.

Just my opinion, this was a BONEHEADED move by Disney. I see no reason to create a separate queue for people who need to sign their cards and show ID. The system should be so that people with lengthier passes can show ID at ANY of the open gates. The signage should state that visitors with the 4+ day passes should have their names on their passes and IDs ready before getting to the turnstile. Corralling all the 4+ day passholders is unnecessarily slowing their entry.

Now I'm all worked up! rrrrrr.

Besides, the CMs at the turnstiles are already trained to turn away people who improperly use passes. They validate AP holders and I'm sure they say NO to people trying to get in with their friend's AP, as these cards use pictures to identify the cardholder. Pictures or Names/IDs, it's still identification checking and if they can do one, they can do the other.

End of RANT.
Kittyskyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Would you please share the email or address that you were given to contact? I don't go until March, but I would like to go ahead and write them about my concerns now. Thanks!

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

We go in February and this concerns me too. We are planning to stay off property so any delay at the entry gates is not a good thing.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

I am sooo sorry. That sounds pretty much exactly like I thought it would be. I hope all those "Disney knows best and I'm all for doing anything they want me to and I'm sure it won't be a hassle" people see this.

I have no doubt Disney will, eventually, get the kinks worked out of whatever system they land on (or scrap it altogether), but that doesn't help the people there now and dealing with this. And it shouldn't just be "par for the course" or "do whatever they have to do to combat fraud" at the guest's expense.

To be punished for staying LONGER at Disney and giving them MORE money is just beyond the pale. Disney's "right" to crack down on fraud should NOT infringe on their customer experience. Ever.

Disney's real problem is that, unlike in Florida, they don't own the state legislature of California, and therefore have been unsuccessful in making ticket renting illegal. (So all those operations people are condemning? Totally legit, despite being absolutely shady. The same is not true for selling counterfeit tickets, which are illegal everywhere.) They can, though, personally enforce the ticket contract by refusing entry to buyers they believe to be doing something outside the scope of fair use they have defined. That's what this is about.

So, since they can't go after and prosecute the ticket renters themselves who, again, are definitely ticking off Disney but doing nothing illegal, it's the end user they're after, and that equals Disney guests. Is it stupid beyond belief to criminalize their own users like this, especially since the percentage of fraud, by Disney's own estimates in at least one article I read, is somewhere in the 5% or less range ... That means they're inconveniencing 95% of their guests in hopes of finding the 5% that are using a shared ticket.

Heck, even if that's inaccurate and it's 25%, which I don't believe for a second, that STILL leaves the vast majority of honest guests suffering for the mistakes of a few, SOLELY so that Disney can add to their already extremely healthy bottom line. Disneyland profits for 2012 are exceeding expectations at every level, sometimes almost doubling even the most optimistic projections. This is not a company desperate to break even.

And, I'm not saying it's right, but just keep in mind that a "shared" ticket is still a PAID-FOR TICKET. Disney is just mad that they're not getting MORE money from people. Whoever bought those tickets originally, shared against policy or not, did pay for them.

Would I ever "rent" a ticket from someone else, or even share mine? Heck, no! But I'm very upset that Disney has decided to employ these policies at the expense of their guests, most of whom have done everything above board and by the rules.
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
DollBabyKG
Mouseketeer

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I understand, and totally don't mind showing my ID, but to limit us to 2 turnstiles is ridiculous. Especially at CA where fastpasses for RSR are routinely gone within an hour of opening. It's not fair to punish those of us who paid full price for legitimate tickets. Every agent is capable of checking an ID. We leave on Nov 12, with 4 day Costco hoppers and I'm hoping they have the kinks worked out by then!
DollBabyKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
nbliss
Mouseketeer

I didn't get an email address, the CM just pointed to a supervisor I could talk to who was there at the gate. I didn't want to spend the rest of my MM talking to a supervisor, so off we went. I do plan on going to city hall today to ask someone who I can speak to about this, as well as where I can mail a letter (yes, I will mail a letter).
We got to the gates about 20-25 minutes before the MM entry.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
ttig34
Mouseketeer

Is the signage at each gate stating which one is for 4/5 day tix or is the signage stating this only on those 2 gates?
ttig34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

YUCK! I havent really been following the boards much lately, this is the first I've heard of this new system. Sounds really crappy! Very happy we'll be using AP's for our Dec. trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: