Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Lunch at Rancho Del Zocalo and dessert at Gibson Girl on September 25, 2012

On this day we had an early lunch at Rancho del Zocalo. My sister who has celiac has always liked Mexican food and it is easy to make gluten free. We arrived at Rancho Del Zocalo about 11:30am and it was uncrowded. My little sister wanted chicken tacos so we went to the appropriate station with our gluten free list in hand.

For those who are unfamiliar, Rancho Del Zocalo is setup with different stations and you take a tray and silverware and go up to the station you would like food from. The different stations range from soups, taco salads, to enchiladas and tacos. You load up your tray and pay the cashier on the way out.

My little sister and I approached the taco station and I informed the CM that she needed a gluten free chicken taco plate. She and I were going to split the plate, because those meals are seriously huge. The CM was very nice and I made sure to show her the gluten free list and she said that the normal sauce that comes with the chicken taco plate is left off. She asked if we would like to substitute something else and we decided on some pico de gallo. She understood exactly what was needed and what we needed to avoid. She made the tacos with corn tortillas and the pico de gallo very quickly. Very soon we were on our way laden down with tacos and rice and beans.

The tacos were decent and my little sister was happy. The CM took care of us and seemed very familiar with allergies and specifically celiac disease. We did not have to speak to the manager or lead on duty as our CM took care of everything. I don't know if having the gluten free list helped or not, but it is nice when everything goes smoothly.

After lunch we rode a few rides in the area and decided to have ice cream at the Gibson Girl. We didn't even bother notifying them of the allergy need because my little sister is familiar with the Dreyer's ice cream and knows most flavors are gluten free (excepting the ones with cookies or other baked goods inside them). We asked for a scoop of chocolate in a cup and she enjoyed it.

I think Rancho Del Zocalo is a good option for those trying to eat gluten-free. I don't think it is the best Mexican food in the world (I am spoiled), but it is good enough. And the amount of food you get is overwhelming, so consider splitting.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: