Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denene914 View Post
I love DME, but when we went last November, we had a 90 minute wait in line. Was not fun. Line was halfway thru the airport. Since we are going again this November, we are renting a car. I don't want to deal with the waiting in line. Went last April during spring break and had no line. Don't really understand that, but not taking any chances this year. Was 90.00 to rent a car for 8 days. Totally worth it to me.
I have no doubt this happened, but unusual delays can happen with any form of transport you use. For example, I have waited nearly two hours for luggage to arrive in baggage claim on one occasion (all baggage handlers pulled from the tarmac due to thunderstorms) and have had a rental car company just not have a car available for an hour (a la Seinfeld). As a result, I wouldn't base any decision on an isolated report of a problem with one mode of transport vs. another.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #17
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
AKL will be one of the last stops on a DME trip due to its location for time concerns.

For sanity, you have the trade off of luggage claim.
We just used DME a couple of saturdays ago, yes AKL Kidani will be the logical last stop.. We stopped at POP and Jambo.. No others. The POP stop litereally added a total of 5 minutes onto the trip. We werent stopped for more then 3 minutes to offload passengers and luggage before we were on our way again. Driving it's the farthest also, so no matter how you get there if you do the speed limit, it's going to take extra time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
mindy20
Mouseketeer

With kids those ages I would use DME, my kids (2,3,5) love the Disney buses plus the benefit of not dealing with checked bags is HUGE IMO. We have made 2 trips in the past year and a half and never had a wait over 10 minutes. The part I was/is not thrilled with is the resort to Port Canaveral. Our bus picked us up at 12:00 at BC, and while I love not having to deal with luggage, it's such a late pick up we lost a lot of the day to enjoy the ship (4 night dream) thankfully no wait to get on the ship. I'm worried you might really miss it with a 3 night, so i think if I were you I'd use a service to get from resort to port early so you get to enjoy the ship/pools ect...then id take DCL transfer from port to Poly and let them handle luggage, I think I've heard they get you to resort pretty early.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me2 View Post
I have taken a town car for quite some years (starting in 2001) It has taken us around 30 to 40 minutes to get from MCO to the BWI. And that getting the luggage

We have had bad experiences with DME & will not use them. We decided after that we will never use them again MHO
Wow....that' incredible timing. It takes at least 10 mins to get from the gate to baggage claim, then about 10-20 mins for baggage to appear, then 5 mins (at least) to get to the car. And then 25 mins to get to BW.
Most of us give times from gate to resort. The ride to the resorts is about 30 mins average..some are a bit shorter, some a bit longer.
I just want others to understand that it takes much longer than 30-40 mins to get from their plane to their resort.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
Gary M
DIS Veteran

Since 1992 we have stayed at WDW resorts over 50 times, flying into MCO each time. We have taken Mears shuttles, town cars, stretch limos and DME. Having taken DME at least 15 times, I have found that it has taken anywhere from 55 to 75 minutes to get to the resort. This is from the time you step off the plane, until you walk into the resort lobby. The luggage being delivered to your room at the resorts is a great selling point for us. I think you and the kids will also like the movie shown on the bus.

Our experience has been you "may" get to the resort 10 or 15 minutes faster by limo or town car, but don't count on it.

We enjoy the DME and have no complaints so far.
Gary M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: