Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran
 
Petals & Pixie Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,229

How do you find time???

So, I had a DS almost a year ago. Early post partum it was fabulous b/c we went for a walk just about everyday that it wasn't way super cold (shout out to bundle me baby!!!) Then, after being out for 3 months reality set in and I went back to work... I'm super ok with being a career mom...but have really gotten lost in being DS's mom. Which I love and wouldn't change for the world. I feel like I have a good work/life balance....DH feels the same way. I work M-Th and have F-Sun off with DS-So, I have time at work and time at home. Works well.

Anyway, I start work and the whirlwind of life happens...and I'm back to eating on the run and have just a little weight left to loose (~20 lbs) I'm really starting to get down on myself. So, yesterday after seeing a co-worker just ran a marathon...I started my plan...re-joined spark people-tracking every ounce of food that goes into my mouth...and then talked to her about running. (we have an elliptical--so the winter months won't be too terrible) She suggested couch to 5k...Plan seems easy enough...and I could use the exercise.

The question is...Where do you find the time...by the time we get home, eat dinner, get DS to bed...I'm exhausted. I already get up at 4:00AM and not sure that I could even fathom getting onto the elliptical at that time...I'm just not a morning person.

Thoughts? Suggestions? We have Wii Fit too. Hand held weights and a medicine ball...
__________________
2004 3 Land-Poly/4 Sea-Wonder 2006 Contemporary 2009 3 Days Sea-Wonder 2010 DFTW 5 Days Split Stay Pop/Grand Floridian 2011 Alaska-Wonder 2014 5 Days Art of Animation DS's first trip!
Petals & Pixie Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!
 
Raenstoirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland Near DC
Posts: 4,702

C25K is only three days a week for about a half an hour each run. Since you are off 3 days a week, you could run friday, sunday and then wednesday or something. That way you only have to fit a run in to really busy days once a week. Maybe wednesday daddy does the bath so you can go for your run during that time. On the days you are home, strap little guy into a jogging stroller and head out.
__________________
















Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary






Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Figment1990
DIS Veteran
 
Figment1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,868

I don't know how many times a week I managed to get a workout in but I know that I'd never have been able to train for a marathon at that time. (Now that I'm actually training I can definitely vouch for that).

I mostly either went for a run during naptime on the weekends or I did a DVD workout while DH occupied DS either in the evening or right after work. One good thing is that at age 1, you don't have to worry about making a regular meal for DS yet. That is when I began to struggle most with juggling working, cooking, scheduling, etc. I will say that I would never have gotten as much exercise in without a treadmill in my basement. Even the 15 min drive to and from the gym was just time I did not have in those days. Even now at age 4, I find little times here and there to squeeze exercise in. Squats while I'm brushing my teeth, 100 situps before collapsing into bed. It doesn't shed 20 pounds, but it keeps my muscles a tiny bit stronger. Maybe a few times a week, if DH is ok with it, you could make a sandwich and eat on the way home from work, then DH could feed DS and you could get a quick workout in during dinnertime. Jillian Michael's 30 day shred videos are only 20 min and they really are a pretty good workout.

The biggest thing is you should give yourself some credit for juggling things as well as you do and try not to put too much pressure on yourself if the most exercise you get is running up and down the stairs 3 times a day.
__________________
me DH DS(6)


First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran
 
Petals & Pixie Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
C25K is only three days a week for about a half an hour each run. Since you are off 3 days a week, you could run friday, sunday and then wednesday or something. That way you only have to fit a run in to really busy days once a week. Maybe wednesday daddy does the bath so you can go for your run during that time. On the days you are home, strap little guy into a jogging stroller and head out.
When I saw the plans I started to think that I can do a Friday/Sunday and maybe get up and just get on the elliptical 1 day during the week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
I don't know how many times a week I managed to get a workout in but I know that I'd never have been able to train for a marathon at that time. (Now that I'm actually training I can definitely vouch for that).

I mostly either went for a run during naptime on the weekends or I did a DVD workout while DH occupied DS either in the evening or right after work. One good thing is that at age 1, you don't have to worry about making a regular meal for DS yet. That is when I began to struggle most with juggling working, cooking, scheduling, etc. I will say that I would never have gotten as much exercise in without a treadmill in my basement. Even the 15 min drive to and from the gym was just time I did not have in those days. Even now at age 4, I find little times here and there to squeeze exercise in. Squats while I'm brushing my teeth, 100 situps before collapsing into bed. It doesn't shed 20 pounds, but it keeps my muscles a tiny bit stronger. Maybe a few times a week, if DH is ok with it, you could make a sandwich and eat on the way home from work, then DH could feed DS and you could get a quick workout in during dinnertime. Jillian Michael's 30 day shred videos are only 20 min and they really are a pretty good workout.

The biggest thing is you should give yourself some credit for juggling things as well as you do and try not to put too much pressure on yourself if the most exercise you get is running up and down the stairs 3 times a day.
I've started by only taking the stairs at work.it is amazing how many I can do and NOT get winded...Thank you for the ideas...
__________________
2004 3 Land-Poly/4 Sea-Wonder 2006 Contemporary 2009 3 Days Sea-Wonder 2010 DFTW 5 Days Split Stay Pop/Grand Floridian 2011 Alaska-Wonder 2014 5 Days Art of Animation DS's first trip!
Petals & Pixie Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)
 
threeboysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,033

I see you're doing the program by spark people. We have a thread here for those of us trying to work our way through that program (C25K was too tough for me) if you want to join us!

I feel I need the accountability to keep me going. A runner I am not, lol.

I would definitely do Friday and Sunday as 2 of your days. And then add a 3rd for an early morning one of your workdays (going to stink, but hey it's only 1 morning...)
__________________
Click here for 2014 Book Challenge Thread: 23 out of 30

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Currently reading: #24 A Daughter's Dream
















threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran
 
Petals & Pixie Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I see you're doing the program by spark people. We have a thread here for those of us trying to work our way through that program (C25K was too tough for me) if you want to join us!

I feel I need the accountability to keep me going. A runner I am not, lol.

I would definitely do Friday and Sunday as 2 of your days. And then add a 3rd for an early morning one of your workdays (going to stink, but hey it's only 1 morning...)
I will look you up on spark people!!!

I too need accountability...I am not a runner but I'm going to try!!!

Yeah...it is only 1 day...but that 1 day is going to stink!

I shared my plans with my DH and he is totally supportive!!!
__________________
2004 3 Land-Poly/4 Sea-Wonder 2006 Contemporary 2009 3 Days Sea-Wonder 2010 DFTW 5 Days Split Stay Pop/Grand Floridian 2011 Alaska-Wonder 2014 5 Days Art of Animation DS's first trip!
Petals & Pixie Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work
 
RangerPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 3,801

I found that during the summer months when the sun was up by 4:30 I was able to get in 30 minutesof the c25k program 3-5 days per week. But for me, as the sun rose later and later it was harder to do and has not happened in over a month. Heck the sun's still trying to get up at 6:45! That coupledwith ice is my excuse But I too ahve an eliptical, I just need ot get a spot cleaned for it. My goal is to get in 15-30 minutes a day over the winter months when going for a run in the ice and snow is not realistic.

I have little ones and finding time ot exercise can be tough. I do ahve to rely on my husband to wathc the kids, but also try to do it either before work or about 2 hours before bed as that's my fre time. Start small and you'll find that time. Like a PP said, taking the stairs, parking farther away, walking oin place bewteen commercials, etc all helps keep you moving on the daus when you can't do anything else.
__________________
Keri

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran
 
Petals & Pixie Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPooh View Post
I found that during the summer months when the sun was up by 4:30 I was able to get in 30 minutesof the c25k program 3-5 days per week. But for me, as the sun rose later and later it was harder to do and has not happened in over a month. Heck the sun's still trying to get up at 6:45! That coupledwith ice is my excuse But I too ahve an eliptical, I just need ot get a spot cleaned for it. My goal is to get in 15-30 minutes a day over the winter months when going for a run in the ice and snow is not realistic.

I have little ones and finding time ot exercise can be tough. I do ahve to rely on my husband to wathc the kids, but also try to do it either before work or about 2 hours before bed as that's my fre time. Start small and you'll find that time. Like a PP said, taking the stairs, parking farther away, walking oin place bewteen commercials, etc all helps keep you moving on the daus when you can't do anything else.
Thanks for the tips! The sun doesn't wake up as early as it use to here...that is going to be a challenge. DH will definitely take DS while I take the 30 minutes for myself to do this. I am worried about that one day of waking up before the rest of the world to do this.

I am doing my best to start out slowly...for the past 2 weeks I've been taking the stairs as much as possible (except from the 5th to the 12th floor b/c if I got winded it's sketchy as to where I could get off) Surprisingly, I don't get winded as much as I thought I would... I've been tracking what I eat...and staying with in the confines of what spark people says I should have to eat... I know that if I make all these changes at once, I'm going to fall flat on my bum. So, I'm slowly adding things here and there to build up to running regularly.

When I spoke to DH last night I told him that I want to do a 5K--it's a bucket list item...While he isn't thrilled with the idea (I have a bad knee and he doesn't want to see that worse) he was very supportive of all of my plans and just wants me to do it the right way. So, I have support, which I think sometimes is 1/2 the battle...
__________________
2004 3 Land-Poly/4 Sea-Wonder 2006 Contemporary 2009 3 Days Sea-Wonder 2010 DFTW 5 Days Split Stay Pop/Grand Floridian 2011 Alaska-Wonder 2014 5 Days Art of Animation DS's first trip!
Petals & Pixie Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)
 
threeboysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petals & Pixie Dust View Post
I will look you up on spark people!!!

I too need accountability...I am not a runner but I'm going to try!!!

Yeah...it is only 1 day...but that 1 day is going to stink!

I shared my plans with my DH and he is totally supportive!!!
I don't keep track of progress or food on spark people. I was actually referring to a thread right here on DIS where a few of us have been comparing notes and encouraging each other and keeping track of our progress with this program.

You can view it here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2999311
__________________
Click here for 2014 Book Challenge Thread: 23 out of 30

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Currently reading: #24 A Daughter's Dream
















threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
KristinU
DIS Veteran
 
KristinU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,448

Any chance you can get out during the work day over lunch hour? I'm so blessed with a work environment that affords me to get out, and I have friends at the office that run and do yoga together much of the time. Of course we have to juggle and back out at the last minute for meetings or work emergencies, but for the 90% of the time it is awesome. I guess it all depends on the type of work you do.

Also, be kind with yourself - when kids are little there just seems to be so much going on and it is a big life transition!
__________________


1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.