DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc3rid View Post
Tokyo Disney Resort is IS a good deal... I just booked a week at TDR through DVC and it was about 390 points... Resort prices over there for the week in question averaged US $700 per night...

In addition, there is no $95 fee to book at TDR.

And, well, it is Tokyo Disney... Well worth it! Can't wait till April!
Bravo, that is around $558 per night and a good deal.

I had no idea it was so expensive there.
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #17
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
As a rule no, it's best used when you have points you won't use otherwise. However, there are exceptions. There are a few RCI exchanges that are reasonable and obtainable if you're willing to play the game correctly (flexible, 2 yrs out and let it ride until 45 days prior). Occasionally you'll see a cash type exchange that you might have done anyway that will get to $10 a point or over, maybe a cruise or cabin that's not discounted on DCL or a special time with a CC option. I'd say if you own the points it's reasonable to keep your eyes out for these options but it's NEVER a good or reasonable choice to buy for these options. It is interesting when people try to compare a cruise at the highest price rather than a lower price they could easily have reserved if they'd wanted and then try to say that's the value they received.

PMFJI....you mention about being willing to play the game correctly. Can you point me to where I can learn more about strategy? Not quite sure what you mean by 2 years out and letting it ride until 45 days prior. prior to what? Curious because we did put points that would have expired a few years ago into an RCI exchange. That's about to expire and I'm not real happy with what's available to trade into.

My contribution to the thread....I think the highest value of DVC points is their use for DVC stays. We used to go to WDW often and would stretch those points as much as we could. Now, kids are older, cannot vacation there as much as I'd like....and where we used to always be borrowing, we now bank to the point where we need to use a massive amount of points. I don't think I'll ever do the RCI trade again, unless I want something specific and it's the only way to get it. OTOH, there are ways to rent timeshare weeks directly from people that can achieve the same end. What has worked for us....most recently...is that our huge amount of points has garnered us a stay for a last minute (relatively last minute) xmas holiday WDW trip where all the DVC resorts are booked. I was asking member services about wait-listing and she mentioned the Poly, for the entire week, was available through the Disney Collection. Sure, it cost a lot in points, but it helped us achieve something we wanted to do. With no discounts on holiday rates, and figuring $10 a point, we made out slightly better than if we paid cash for the room. We would never in our right minds pay that kind of money if planning a vacation on our own, but sometimes building up those points does allow us some very nice splurges.
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #18
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
PMFJI....you mention about being willing to play the game correctly. Can you point me to where I can learn more about strategy? Not quite sure what you mean by 2 years out and letting it ride until 45 days prior. prior to what? Curious because we did put points that would have expired a few years ago into an RCI exchange. That's about to expire and I'm not real happy with what's available to trade into.
In a nutshell. You've got to investigate the options including quality and potential cash prices of any options. You have to be flexible,most DVC members aren't even when they say they are. Once you've decided on a resort or resorts you put in an ongoing search that is preferably 2 years out but at least a full year out and you need to be prepared to wait until 45 days out before giving up.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info, Dean. Didn't realize a floating request could be submitted. Oh well, it's doubtful I'll use the RCI option again, but if I do, I'll study up on it! ;-)
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
Thanks for the info, Dean. Didn't realize a floating request could be submitted. Oh well, it's doubtful I'll use the RCI option again, but if I do, I'll study up on it! ;-)
MOST good options that do come through RCI are filled to pending requests. Calling and checking availability means you're already behind significantly, esp since DVC members don't have online access and RCI opens earlier than does DVC in most cases.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Dude View Post
I have been a DVC member for many years and almost always use my DVC points for only DVC resort accommodations. One year I used some points for DCL and later discovered that it was not a great use of points.

If you value DVC points as worth a minimum of $10 per point, can anyone provide any examples of non DVC resort use where using DVC points (valued at $10pp) is cheaper than paying cash for the same use.

I think most examples of good deals is when you value DVC points as only the cost of your annual dues vs the more common rental rates of $10-13 per point.
I believe that I do have a real example of a 'good deal'. We went to Princevalle, Kauai, Hawaii and stayed 7 nights in what was considered a one bedroom but was actually a two bedroom (second bedroom was an huge upstair loft that easily fit two queen sized beds) that cost us 160 points. Our yearly dues cost us around $1500.00 and the front desk said that they usually rent their units for around 2000.00 a week. It was a wonderful resort and we had an ocean view. So whether you use the 10 dollar a point model or the annual dues as a way to weigh whether it was a good deal; I believe we did well.

We still talk about purchasing a RCI contract there.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Dude View Post
Bravo, that is around $558 per night and a good deal.

I had no idea it was so expensive there.
Has a lot to do with the terrible Yen-Dollar exchange rate...

But the DVC Low Points season corresponds to higher room rates at TDR...

But I would say either way, it works... The rooms we get go for about 64,000 Yen, which is about $800 per night on weekends...

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: