Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #751
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Good luck with the drive. We are in NWI only about 40 miles from Chicago. I am so not a long distance driver......it takes all I have just to get to Ohare or Midway to catch a flight .
I'm actually right next to Indiana.. I am a wee bit nervous about this drive!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #752
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Hi! We are doing a last minute trip on Dec 9 and are finally staying at the poly with our toddler. We did the cruise out of NYC this summer and she had a blast. Can't wait to see the decorations!
I know that there are lots of opinions about where to stay... We have a garden view room. What longhouse is best for having a toddler? We are only going to be there for 4 days and will be trying to do as much as possible with her with staying realistic with our expectations. Just having trouble with where to request our room! Help!
5/01 - AKL, 4/05 - CBR, 7/06 - POFQ, 12/07 - Pop, 6/12 - DCL Magic NYC, 12/12 - Poly, 7/13 - PolyCL, 1/14 - PolyCL, 5/14 - AKLCL, 7/14 - GF SL, 11/14 - YC/GF , 6/15 - PolyCL, 7/15 - DCL Fantasy, 7/15 - AKL CL

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #753
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrentinos View Post
Hi! We are doing a last minute trip on Dec 9 and are finally staying at the poly with our toddler. We did the cruise out of NYC this summer and she had a blast. Can't wait to see the decorations!
I know that there are lots of opinions about where to stay... We have a garden view room. What longhouse is best for having a toddler? We are only going to be there for 4 days and will be trying to do as much as possible with her with staying realistic with our expectations. Just having trouble with where to request our room! Help!
Samoa or Nuie are in a great location near everything except the ticket and transportation and that is not a real long walk. Tokelau is also a great location with it being centrally located . We were there last week and stayed in Nuie. The Poly does not seem that big to me so walking around it has never been a problem.
My top picks for being close to the pool, main building, bus stops, and magic kingdom boat are Samoa and Nuie. We stayed in Tokelau last year and liked it also, it is farther to the pool and main building but not that far. Nuie seemed a little more run down then Tokelau but it still was really nice. We enjoyed the location of Nuie
I guess it depends on what you want to be close to.
Type in the google search Tikiman and it will take you to a great website that tells about all the different longhouses

Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #754
matthewhavens
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have an update on the room refurbishments or a schedule? We are arriving on on February 23rd for the Princess Half Marathon and I'm wondering if some (or all) of the longhouses will be refurbished by then. If the refurbishment is underway, I'd want to request a room that is already refurbished.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #755
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
I'm actually right next to Indiana.. I am a wee bit nervous about this drive!!!!!!
Well hello, neighbor . I grew up just over the IL/IN state line (Munster) and now live near Valparaiso.

I'm sure the drive will be fine. Just keep thinking Disney and the time will fly by and you'll be at Disney before you know it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrentinos View Post
Congrats on booking the Poly.....it's an awesome resort . We stayed in Samoa and loved it as it's in a very convenient location and close to everything; although, I don't think any longhouse at the Poly is in a bad location .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
The Poly does not seem that big to me so walking around it has never been a problem.
I agree . Some people feel the Poly is too spread out, but we didn't find that to be the case for us for us either. We loved walking the grounds as everything seemed close enough together that it wasn't a long walk to get anywhere .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #756
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
DH and I just drove from Pennsylvania to Miami 2 weeks ago. It was a long trip, but honestly for us the worst part of it was the Baltimore, MD and DC traffic. The rest was a breeze! We towed our 27 foot travel trailer to WDW a few years back and stayed at Ft Wilderness. Again, it was a looooong drive (with this kids that time), but you know, the drive down isn't nearly as bad as coming home. The way down you're excited....the way home you're just depressed!

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #757
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I'm the same way......I always start planning our next trip before we leave the one we're on. I see it as a good way to lessen the sadness of going home . Good luck with your ADRs .
I hear you on lessening the sadness. I tell my DH that if I am not planning a Disney trip than I feel lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Coachbagfanatic~ ~ I see you're getting back to your beloved GF soon...with a little Poly rolled in! Good for you!!!
Mousemommy1 We are going back to our home again and we truly can't wait. We are excited about giving the Poly a try in hopes that our minds will be changed. When we visit the Poly me and my DH are like no not for us but our DS is like I love it here. So for him, we will give it a try. We are going to relax and enjoy as much of the Poly as we can. So we plan on renting the cabana the first day we arrive, renting the water mouse and just enjoying the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
I hope you really enjoy the Poly and have a great time
Thank you and we do too. It's only for two nights but we feel that will give us a good feeling of the resort. Provided we don't get lost wondering around. Well then I guess that would definitely give us a feel for the resort. One point in the plus column so far is that we can walk to TTC which we plan on doing the second evening we are there as we are going to Epcot for dinner.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #758
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
I hear you on lessening the sadness. I tell my DH that if I am not planning a Disney trip than I feel lost.

We are going to relax and enjoy as much of the Poly as we can. So we plan on renting the cabana the first day we arrive, renting the water mouse and just enjoying the pool.
I'm the same way......I love the planning almost as much as being there . You are going to love the Poly, especially if you will be spending time at the resort. It's such a beautiful place and very relaxing. Me, DH, and the boys each rented a water mouse during our Poly stay and it was so much fun....we can't wait to do it again .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #759
princessap
DIS Veteran

I cannot wait to stay here!!! I forgot to put my request in yesterday when I booked. oops. was so excited to book!!

Was thinking of requesting samoa and have heard to request first or third floor. What does everyone on here recommend, patio or balcony??

thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #760
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1

I'm the same way......I always start planning our next trip before we leave the one we're on. I see it as a good way to lessen the sadness of going home . Good luck with your ADRs .
I have found this is the best way to go!!! We usually book our trip 7 months before going but this year decided to use the bb offer and booked our next trip before the one we were on was over! I like it that way much better, it makes leaving a lot easier!!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #761
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap
I cannot wait to stay here!!! I forgot to put my request in yesterday when I booked. oops. was so excited to book!!

Was thinking of requesting samoa and have heard to request first or third floor. What does everyone on here recommend, patio or balcony??

thanks
You can call the reservation line and let them know that you would like to add a request to your reservation. I recommend the balcony over the patio.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #762
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks....Are there elevators in Samoa? thanks

What do you suggest for us to do our first day there....only enjoying resort that day!!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #763
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Thanks....Are there elevators in Samoa? thanks

What do you suggest for us to do our first day there....only enjoying resort that day!!
Yes Samoa has elevators . We stayed in the building next one over from Samoa, which was Nuie and it did not have an elevator. I'm not sure but Nuie may be the only building without an elevator. But there is a bridge on the 2nd floor from Nuie to Rarotonga and the elevator is right there after crossing the bridge at Rarotonga.
I would suggest to make a reservation for dinner at Ohana or Kona, then go to the beach and watch the electric water parade and fireworks. If you make reservation for Ohana you have to do it as soon as you can because it fills up quick. I have had the hardest time getting reservations for the time I wanted at Ohana. I think the water parade starts at 9:00 then fireworks at 9:30. Those times may depend on what time of year you are there though.

Last edited by maryj11; 10-25-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #764
TIME2DISNEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhavens View Post
Does anyone have an update on the room refurbishments or a schedule? We are arriving on on February 23rd for the Princess Half Marathon and I'm wondering if some (or all) of the longhouses will be refurbished by then. If the refurbishment is underway, I'd want to request a room that is already refurbished.
There is no official schedule of refurbs that I know of, but Tikiman will be updating his site very soon! Hopefully he can shed some light on the situation.

Here is a post from Tikiman from another website.
Mickey2minnie1 said: ↑
Tikiman. When do you anticipate updating your site with info from your trip? Looking forward to your post, as always.

I have it all written up, just had to add the photos. I almost finished last night but unfortunately life gets in the way (soccer coach/ ref for the kids, new baby in the house, wife’s birthday, etc. J ). Im sure many of you know how that is. I’m hoping to have it done this week. Sorry it has taken so long but family will always come first.
tikiman, Monday at 10:03 AM #154
Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #765
Alli76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post

thanks
Depends on your situation.. I like the patio because we have two kids 6 & 4. It makes it easier for an adult to come and go at night to get drinks while the two little ones sleep. It also seems to give us a little extra room for them to run around. BUT - if these are not issues for you, I would recommend the third floor balcony. You can definitely hear the noise above you when on the first floor.

Good Luck making a decision!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: