Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #46
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Actually, this is not true.

LINK
I'm not saying thats the reason it closed, its just one of the reasons why it wouldn't reopen as is.

The article states it better than I do.

Quote:
Although River Country was the first water park at Walt Disney World, it had been joined by two newer, larger ones: Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon (1989) and Disney’s Blizzard Beach (1995). The new parks offered far more slides, relaxing lazy rivers with clever things to see along the way, fully developed themes, and much greater capacity. On top of that, they offered convenient parking and bus transportation, unlike the awkwardly located River Country.
When RC opened it was in the middle of the what was the "World" back then. You had the MK, the TTC, the Poly, the Contemporary, FW and I think the Golf Resort which is now SoG. Now its in a far, out of the way corner, of the "World".

I would add if you told people that there was a WP located near the campground at FW. They would probably reply "There's a campground at WDW? " or "There's a Disney Campground Resort behind HDDR?". Even people planning on staying at FW ask if they get all the privileges that guests staying on site get.

The end of the article does address the water issue. My post didn't get into the specifics and yes I didn't fully research the law but my point is still valid. If they did take the water from the lake it would have to go through some major treatment. The article then states that they would then have to seal it off from the lake and use a recirculating system but that would pretty much mean rebuilding everything aka bulldoze it down and start over.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
I'm not saying thats the reason it closed, its just one of the reasons why it wouldn't reopen as is.

The article states it better than I do.

When RC opened it was in the middle of the what was the "World" back then. You had the MK, the TTC, the Poly, the Contemporary, FW and I think the Golf Resort which is now SoG. Now its in a far, out of the way corner, of the "World".

I would add if you told people that there was a WP located near the campground at FW. They would probably reply "There's a campground at WDW? " or "There's a Disney Campground Resort behind HDDR?". Even people planning on staying at FW ask if they get all the privileges that guests staying on site get.

The end of the article does address the water issue. My post didn't get into the specifics and yes I didn't fully research the law but my point is still valid. If they did take the water from the lake it would have to go through some major treatment. The article then states that they would then have to seal it off from the lake and use a recirculating system but that would pretty much mean rebuilding everything aka bulldoze it down and start over.
I wasn't trying to discredit your entire post. I think they were some good points. I was just pointing out the water issues.

I don't know for sure but I would assume that the filtration system was already in place or RC WOULD have been forced to shut down long before it actually did.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't trying to discredit your entire post. I think they were some good points. I was just pointing out the water issues.

I don't know for sure but I would assume that the filtration system was already in place or RC WOULD have been forced to shut down long before it actually did.
Yea I kind of got a little long there but hey it kills time at work when I should be working.

I thought the law came into being after it closed. Even if it didn't and they were Somehow grandfathered in, people now know about the issue and generally people are more germ a phobic than they are now.

They would look at that brownish green water and say I'm not letting my snowflake swim in that.

Last edited by chartle; 10-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpink View Post
But oh so much fun at the time
Yea but back in the day we also drank water out of the garden hose and growing up for fun my wife would hit her brothers over the head with sticks.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #50
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yea but back in the day we also drank water out of the garden hose and growing up for fun my wife would hit her brothers over the head with sticks.
Are "we" NOT doing these things any more?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #51
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are "we" NOT doing these things any more?
Yes since the NHL is in a labor dispute no one is hitting each other over the head with sticks right now.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #52
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes since the NHL is in a labor dispute no one is hitting each other over the head with sticks right now.
This makes me want to hit some people over the head with a stick.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #53
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wruffy View Post
I know some cast members that are there and they were telling me this. They were very upset.
I'm still trying to decipher where you made your error...exactly...

I'll get back to you
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #54
LivMattmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wruffy View Post
I have heard the Hoop De Do Review at Fort Wilderness will be closing at the end of the year along with Trails End to make room for more DVC only areas, This means the beach and boat access will only be for DVC members only. So unfair to FW campers who love the campground.
I hope not! They just took our ressie for the end of March 2013!
LivMattmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #55
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Sure hope this doesn't happen.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #56
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

the Hoop De Doo was never closing.

About 2 years ago, there were some building plans floating (if you go back far enough in the campground forum you may find them) around showing a western themed DVC. One of the plans showed the HDDR and Trails End moved, with either the biulding taken down or redone.

That is where to story started about the HDDR closing.

That same plan also showed a new and enlarged biulding across the path to the east and set a little in the woods with no ID. My guess is that the new biulding would be the new home of the HDDR and trials end if there were moved out of the orginial biulding.

Most of those plans showed RC gone........yet one showed a new RC, apparently to be used by the campground and the dvc resort and maybe WL as well... That should bring up some discussion!

Another rumour going around at that time was that 2 DVC reosrts were planed, the western one and the GF one and they couldn't decide which to biuld first........Seem we have a answer on that now.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #57
NoraNow
Earning My Ears

I love the HDDMR, it's one of the classic Disney events! I hope it doesn't close!
NoraNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: