Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Is There Really a Difference....

...between Cat. 5 and Cat. 4 on the Magic/Wonder?

I can see that it is 36 sq. ft. larger, but that space just seems to be the area where the 5th person would sleep (pull down bed next to the balcony door). Am I really going to notice a difference? Or should I spend my money elsewhere? There are only four of us and the boys will be 7 so it's not like they take up a bunch of room.

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

The difference is basically the size of a twin bed (it is the space where the murphy bed comes down). In our 4a on the Wonder, that is also where they place the double steamer truck which provides a lot of extra storage. So if having that much more space to move around in (plus the extra storage and a chair) helps, it might be worth it. I have been inside a 5 (on a cabin crawl) but have only stayed in 4s. The 5 would have been fine for the two of us (just DH and I went on our last cruise) but when we have our whole family, I really appreciate the extra room and storage space in the 4.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod
...between Cat. 5 and Cat. 4 on the Magic/Wonder?

I can see that it is 36 sq. ft. larger, but that space just seems to be the area where the 5th person would sleep (pull down bed next to the balcony door). Am I really going to notice a difference? Or should I spend my money elsewhere? There are only four of us and the boys will be 7 so it's not like they take up a bunch of room.
For me it depends on the price difference. Our first cruise was in a 4B (we booked a VGT on the Dream). We were totally spoiled and I thought I would never be able to stay in anything smaller. On our second cruise (Fantasy) the price was right for a 5E. It was completely fine, even for 7 days. The kids never noticed, although I could have used the extra set of drawers! But when I had a chance to go back to a 4 for the same price as a 5 on our next Dream cruise, you know I took it! My kids are 5 and 8, btw.

Granted, you're talking about the classic ships, whereas I've only been on the newer ships, but I assume the space issue is similar. So I would say, if the price isn't more than you're willing to pay, book the large room. If it means missing out on an excursion, Palo, the spa, etc, I wouldn't do it!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On the Magic and Wonder, the difference is a little bit of space. Whether that matter to you or not is personal. Also, you can sometimes get 2 cabins for the price of one cat 4....which give you a lot more space as well as more bathrooms, tvs, etc.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

I could never understand why anyone would pay the price jump from a Cat 5 or 6 to a Cat 4, unless they needed to sleep a 5th person. The little bit of extra space just didn't seem worth the sometimes much higher cost to me.

Then DCL pixie dusted us with a complimentary upgrade one cruise. I loved the extra chair and I especially loved having the trunk out of the way! We've upgraded to Cat 4's a couple of times since, although we've always done it at the port.

Not having a Cat 4 certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but anytime I can get one for a reasonable price, I'm all in.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

It is just DH and me, but we still enjoy the extra space of a cat 4. But I don't think I would spend more than $300 or $400 extra for the two of us.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

We were just on the wonder. 3 adults and one teen. Booked a cat 5, upgraded at port to a 4 for $210. Money well spent. We didn't use the Murphy bed but having the chair and double trunk was awesome! Could we have managed in the cat.5? Sure. We're we more comfortable in the cat.4? Definitely.

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Ah, I didn't know about the trunk! Is it basically another storage pseudo-dresser? Awesome! Give me details!

The difference right now is $700 (because midship is important to me do going from 5B to 4A). From what I am hearing sounds like I should wait and hope for pixie dust or upgrade at the port.

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
klepton
Mouseketeer

I opted for the 4 on our upcoming cruise because we'll have an infant with a crib, and without the extra space it would have been way too cramped with the 4 of us. I also liked the idea of extra storage space for diapers and all that good stuff...

Another thing that may or may not be a concern, is that with the cat 4 and a murphy bed you don't have to put either child in the "top bunk." You'd get the big bed, the murphy, and the couch made up into a bed each night. This could be helpful if your kids have a tendency to roll out of bed (like mine used to), or if you just don't want to deal with the arguments of who gets to sleep in the top bunk.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepton View Post
Another thing that may or may not be a concern, is that with the cat 4 and a murphy bed you don't have to put either child in the "top bunk." You'd get the big bed, the murphy, and the couch made up into a bed each night. This could be helpful if your kids have a tendency to roll out of bed (like mine used to), or if you just don't want to deal with the arguments of who gets to sleep in the top bunk.
Be careful, not all cat 4's have the Murphy bed.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

How do I check to see if our 4a does (on the Wonder)? Our other 2 rooms did, and I just assumed this one would.
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
3Mickeys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
Be careful, not all cat 4's have the Murphy bed.
The original poster is asking about the Magic/Wonder cat 4's and I'm pretty sure they all sleep 5 which means there is definitely a murphy in them all. The Dream and Fantasy have different configurations.
3Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: