Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Loving the pics. I'm in for any TR on the Magic
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Fun TR so far! Looking forward to reading lots more!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
DisneyFan907
Earning My Ears

We are cruising out of Galveston in January, can't wait to read the rest of your TR!
DisneyFan907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #19
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Staterooms are ready

On our way out of PC we stopped at the station set up to sell the packages of water and beer etc. in the Promenade lounge.

They were also selling Texas wines from the Messina Hoff winery, which is a nice touch.

Scott bought a beer mug and then found out that the only beer available on draft to fill it was Shiner Bock. Apparently there is some type of Texas law where they can only sell Texas beer on draft until they are 7 miles out. Later in the cruise he was also disappointed to find out that they only sold Stella Artois (his beer of choice) in Sessions, which was only open after 6 pm every day. I think if he could do it over again, he'd have skipped the beer mug this time and just got Stella by the bottle. The choices on draft weren't great. I think Longboard, Bud Light, Shiner Bock were the most readily available. There was also Amber Bock at Pinocchios, but twice he got one from there that was "bad" (his words ) so he gave up on that. Also, he had bought a beer mug on the Fantasy, but we didn't realize that you could take them with you! Obviously the beer mug hasn't been working in his favor since then.

We also ordered a 12 pack of water that we could split between the 2 cabins. We refill them as we find the water on the ship to be just fine.

We went up to check on the room at 1:15 pm but it wasn’t ready yet. We went back down to do some wandering on Deck 3, they had some of the openings to the atrium closed, so you could only go around past Guest Services which led to it being a bit chaotic. I took this photo, trying to be 'artsy'.......it didn't turn out great, but who can miss the opportunity of taking pics of the chandelier. DH is the real picture taker of the family, I just point the camera and hope it turns out!

We walked down past the gift shops and down to the Walt Disney Theatre where we stuck our head in to take a look. The starboard (left) side decks were closed off because they were fueling on that side. There were lots of people finding things closed off and having to back track.

We headed back to deck 6 and the rooms were ready!! We were in 6620 and 6618 and we LOVED the location. I was worried about them being right by the elevators, but they were quiet and SO easy to get up to Topsiders & the drink station, or down to Animators or PC.

We dropped our day bags, checked the view from the balcony and took a good look around our home away from home for the next 7 days.

This is our room...6620

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Wandering around

We then headed up to decks 9 & 10 to take photos and walk around to take a look at Galveston. There weren't many people around...it was still fairly early.

This is the terminal and gangway onto the ship...

And this is the view in the other direction. Judging by the flocks of birds on the ground this has to be a rice or grain loader but on the railroad tracks in front of it were huge wind turbine blades. We often see them on the freeways around Houston, so now we know where they come from!

There were dolphins swimming around, but the area is very industrial, so not the prettiest to look at. The Carnival Triumph was also in port.

This group were Earning their Ears. New Disney castmembers in the making. We had passed them about 5 mins early coming out of the Aft elevators by Palo, so they got down there in a hurry!

Here's us 3 girls....I'd like to point out (for those that are going to be counting) that at this point my cocktail count was still zero. That's water in that cup from the drink station...nothing added!!

At 2:50 pm we went down to our rooms just to grab FE maps and lists and went down to the Promenade Lounge to meet with our Disboards group. I was the FE coordinator so I had promised to have extras, but I should have known that fellow Disers are SUPER organized and would never need them!

Dena & Mike were already there...we had run into them twice already in the space of a couple of hours...but then never saw them again the entire cruise!! We began to wonder if they were lost at sea! Lot of our group came to say hello and it was really great to put faces to all those names. We had to keep the meet short and sweet, as we all had to be ready for muster drill by 3:45 pm. I was just really happy that so many showed up as I know how hard it can be to tear yourself away from the excitement of getting on board.

About 3:35 pm we left Promenade Lounge and headed back to our room. 1 suitcase had arrived before we left for muster drill at 3:45 pm. It went fairly quickly, but it was fairly warm and they do the drill in Spanish and English. Lara from the UK was one of our station coordinators and she kept us all entertained with funny/crazy faces.

Coming up later...sail away and dinner in Parrot Cay...first I need to get some work done! If only employers realized how important trip reports are....ha...ha..

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Hubby will be disappointed with the beer choices. On our first cruise on the Wonder, just a three day, there was Guiness on tap. On our second cruise, the Wonder to Alaska, they said that the tap that the Guiness would've been on was broken, and the only "dark" beer was Michelob Ultra Amber (I think -- I'm not a beer drinker). On our cruise on the Magic this summer, again no real dark beers, in fact I think it was all Bud/Michelob products. And he also ran into the problem that the darker beers were only served at one of the bars and it was only open later in the afternoon.

So I guess we will be toting in beer for him in addition to wine for me. He will still probably use his mug a few times, but he won't be that happy with the choices. We're flying in the night before and we'll DEFINITELY have to make a stop off to get alcohol and water!
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
shaned
Mouseketeer

Jenny make me wish I was back on the Magic. We seen your mom and sister I think Sunday morning early.

Mike wishes that he could have been lost at sea .
Dena

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Looks fun!
Thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
ooooohhh, I cant wait to read the rest!!

We are officially in a cruise countdown (where there seems to be something new to do everyday) with just about 2 weeks left. I can feel us all getting excited!!!
I think reading trip reports is even more fun when yours is just around the corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm3idm View Post
So excited to read your TR! Great looking family! We were on board with you, so I'll be reliving the magic through your posts... Wish I wasn't so lazy, I'd write one myself...
Hi! I don't blame you....I've lived vacations over again through others trip reports when I was too lazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess aleya View Post
Great start can't wait to hear more about your trip.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Loving the pics. I'm in for any TR on the Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
Fun TR so far! Looking forward to reading lots more!
Thanks to both of you for joining in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan907 View Post
We are cruising out of Galveston in January, can't wait to read the rest of your TR!
You'll have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
Hubby will be disappointed with the beer choices. On our first cruise on the Wonder, just a three day, there was Guiness on tap. On our second cruise, the Wonder to Alaska, they said that the tap that the Guiness would've been on was broken, and the only "dark" beer was Michelob Ultra Amber (I think -- I'm not a beer drinker). On our cruise on the Magic this summer, again no real dark beers, in fact I think it was all Bud/Michelob products. And he also ran into the problem that the darker beers were only served at one of the bars and it was only open later in the afternoon.

So I guess we will be toting in beer for him in addition to wine for me. He will still probably use his mug a few times, but he won't be that happy with the choices. We're flying in the night before and we'll DEFINITELY have to make a stop off to get alcohol and water!
Yes, the beer was a disappointment for him, but it didn't stop him buying them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned View Post
Jenny make me wish I was back on the Magic. We seen your mom and sister I think Sunday morning early.

Mike wishes that he could have been lost at sea .
Dena
They said they had seen you, but we couldn't remember what morning. I wish we were back there too.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Sail Away

After the muster drill we stopped by our rooms quickly to grab cameras and headed up to deck 10 for the sail away party.

We found a spot to watch the party from deck 10 and watched the kids all dancing and having a good time waiting for it to begin.

We only watched the first part of it, as we all wanted to be at the front of the ship as we pulled away.

I knew DH had wandered off at some point, and when I saw his photos I figured out where he'd gone...he was over the other side photographing us. He also got a couple of fellow Disers (spot the ears) in the pic.

I felt the vibration of the ship start to move, so we headed up to the front. We spotted this guy hanging around waiting for his moment on stage.

Dena and her DH were also at the front for the sail away....I think this was the last official sighting of them by DH & I.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

There were lots of dolphins as we headed out and it was very windy!! My Mickey Head earrings were beating my ears to death and I had to take them out.

Mum was interested in seeing how the Pilot got on and off the ship....

After waiting a while to see if we could see anything we gave up and went back to the room.....right as I walked into the room the Pilot boat pulled away....all the action happened just down from our room and we missed it!!

The rest of our luggage had arrived so we got busy unpacking and then sat on the balcony watching the world go by. The shipping traffic and oil rigs out in the gulf were crazy! It was almost a traffic jam there were so many. So different from Port Canaveral, plus the water is a definite green/brown.

We decided to go to the All Aboard show in the Walt Disney Theatre at 6:15 to catch a glimpse of the acts coming up, plus for some reason that just makes it seem like the cruise is real for me!

I had requested PLAPLAP and we were given that rotation so our first night was Parrot Cay. Oliver and Erwin were our servers and Wira was our head server. Oliver told us that the ship had just less than 2000 passengers, but only 400 children. You could tell that the ship wasn’t at full capacity, but we never have felt that there was an overload of children even when we’ve sailed on the Dream in mid-July.

For dinner I had Baked Crab Martinique, Cold Cream of Mango & Papaya Soup, Island-Spice Grilled Rib-Eye of Beef and Lemon Meringue Pie. The rib eye wasn’t the best I'd had, I would pick something different next time. (I took pics of my food, DH took pics of his....my photos aren't great.... LOL ) We soon started calling him David Bailey...who is a famous photographer in the UK.... I'm glad for his photos though, seeing as mine aren't all that!!

Baked Crab

Cream of Mango & Papaya Soup

Rib-Eye

Lemon Meringue Pie

Scott had the Island-Spiced Grilled Ahi Tuna, Cream of Asparagus Soup, Caribbean Roasted Chicken and Crème Brulee Cheesecake.

Tuna

Asparagus Soup

Chicken

Cheesecake

I think I had two glasses of wine....and I also forgot to mention that I had a beer in the Promenade Lounge at the DISmeet. No cocktails yet though.

We headed back to our room, FE gifts were already in our FE – LOL It was a lot of fun to receive so many wonderful things and the gifts continued all week right up until the very last night, even after we’d already taken our FE down! LOL We got a TON of stuff!!!

Waiting patiently on the bed...

We watched the end of the Nascar race on TV, sat on the balcony for a short while and were in bed at 10:30 pm.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #26
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Loving your trip report Jenny. Your photos are great and seeing that lovely food has made me realise how much I missed Parrot Cay on the Fantasy, it's my favourite restaurant on the classic ships

I'm starting to get worried .. where's the cocktail photos ??

I look forward to your next update

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
I'm starting to get worried .. where's the cocktail photos ??
I've got some coming up...

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Sunday - At Sea Day

We woke up early and got up at 6:30 am and ordered coffee from room service to drink on the verandah while we watched the waves. Scott decided to run and I just lazed around while he was burning calories.

We ate a light breakfast in Topsiders...and I guess I didn't take any pictures.......and sat in quiet Cove for a while reading our books.

Instead of pics of painted toenails...here's one of DH's feet...his crocks look at little drooled on...

The water was now a beautiful blue..

We had a Palo brunch ressie at 11:30 am. We had never done Palo before for brunch, and it was great.

Our server was Susana from Portugal and she was an absolute sweetheart as well as a fabulous server. We loved her, and her recommendations were great.

First off.....DRUMMMM ROLLLLLL pleeasseee......We have a cocktail photo!!

Susana gave us the "tour" of the food...YUMMY!!

Various cold selections...they had proscutto, ahi tuna (two kinds), caviar, smoked salmon, fruits and lots of cheeses with breads and crackers....and probably other stuff that I'm forgetting...

More of that same table...

These were the cold seafood selections...

Cereals and pastries...

Available hot items...

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Sunday - At sea day...cont....

We had a great selection of cold pieces....again with the no camera from me...so only DH's food pics....

Some yummy bites..

Susana FORCED us into ordering a pizza with half Margherita and half the Gorgonzola and Grape, which I didn’t think I would like but ended up really enjoying. Then I had Eggs Benedict and Scott had the Veal.

Veal...

You would think at this point that we were stuffed...and we were....but there's ALWAYS room for dessert....it's the rules... Mum decided the tiramisu dessert was better than any she had ever had which is high praise indeed...

Clockwise from 12 o'clock....tiramisu...chocolate covered strawberry...fruit tart (not sure what kind)....and cheesecake (in a glass)....all EXTREMELY good...but my vote went for the Tiramisu too.

The Kir Royals were delicious, so we figured we had better try another one.

Stuffed to the gills we headed out and down to Deck 7 aft to take some photos..of course there was nobody else there....if there had been a breeze back there and we weren't all dressed up ... ...I think we would could have stayed all day....

We went back to the rooms to change in to bathing suits... here are some pics of our doors...

Ours...

Mum & Mo's...

We headed down to Quiet Cove and found 4 lounge chairs together in the shade. We read our books and napped a little. Midtown (I think that's what they are called) were playing...sometimes I just prefer peace & quiet..and this was one of those times....

Mo & I got into the pool...the ship was rolling just enough to make it really nice and the water sloshed around just perfectly.

We decided to head back to Palo to join the Art of the Theme Show ship tour at 3:30 pm. Lara from the UK was the tour guide and was funny.

The tour was a tad long for my attention span...I think it lasted over an hour...but we stuck with it, and enjoyed it all in the end...DH snapped these along the way...

Mo ordered the All Hands on Deck cheese plate late in the afternoon and the 3 girls snacked on it. The Twice Charmed show was postponed due to cast illness tonight...they said both the performer AND the understudy....... so there was no show, but they had Frankenweenie in the Walt Disney Theatre instead....we decided to pass and spent the rest of the afternoon on the balcony....Scott and I had a couple of glasses of wine....(technically not a cocktail...but a drinkie all the same... )

Next up ....Formal Night in Lumieres.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

ohhh, I am really getting excited reading this!

Funny, I guess growing up in Texas and seeing the water in Galveston - I just kind of assumed that its a green/brown color in the gulf. Your blue water pics are beautiful!
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: