Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Nassau Fort Excursion

We're sailing in January and of course, like everyone else, we're worried about the weather. This is my kids first time out of the country, so I know they will want to get off the ship and see what it's like. I've thought of doing the fort excursion but I am wondering if it's worth the $41 pp price. Can I just take a taxi to the fort and enjoy it that way? What is so special about the excursion itself? Are you primarily paying for the peace of mind of staying with a group? TIA!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

We always just walk over to the fort, and you can certainly take a taxi. It costs $1/person to enter the fort. Locals are available to give you a history lesson it, so look at giving them a small tip as well (to be honest, the guides in the forts are not necessary, and we always decline their assistance). There is a guide at the bottom of the Queen's Staircase as well. We had an excellent one a few weekends ago...if I had to choose one of the locals to listen to, I would choose the one at the staircase. Again, a tip should be given. Not necessary, and not even necessary to listen to their spiel either.

The walk does take you through a more down-trodden part of the area, but you will see others walking as well. If you are not comfortable doing that, consider a taxi then.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Oh! Forgot to mention...will you have passports? If so, the kids might get a kick out of getting a passport stamp. The immigration office is to the left as you exit Festival Place (the building you walk through when leaving the pier). There is a fence with a guard...just let him know you would like to get your passports stamped.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

I haven't done the Fort excursion with a group, but on our Disney Dream cruise in October of 2011, we walked from the pier to Fort Fincastle, and then we went down the Queen's staircase. It really wasn't that far, and we walked there in no time. If you want to walk there, take East Street to Shirley Street. Left on Shirley and right on Elizabeth Street. This will take you straight to the Queen's Staircase. At the fort, they sell drinks, if you're overheated from the walk. Make sure you have your camera. It's a great view of the cruise ships from the fort.
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: