Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #676
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
So yesterday i discovered something that i found worked really well for me .. slim druits. They are a small fruit flavoured pastille that contain soluble fibre and help reduce hunger. To be honest i bought them as an impulse purchase with a bottle of water to meet the eftpos minimum but omg yesterday I wasnt hungry at all. I ate a small piece of fruit for dinner and a handful of beans and carrots for dinner only.
Alicia, can you tell me where you got those please? I went to Coles and didn't see them in the lolly section.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #677
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/25547/beef+chow+mein

I made this last night as an alternative to my regular chicken/beef stir fry that the kids complain about always having. It's not that different really, so I don't understand their complaining.

I didn't use the fresh noodles as I didn't have any so used a couple of packs of cooked 2 minute noodles minus the sachets. I didn't use all of the vegies listed so put in what I had in the fridge; capsicum, carrot, cabbage, onion. I guess you can add more vegies to bulk it out and make it go further. I had more than enough for the 3 of us, so set some aside to freeze for lunch at work and another small container that I can heat up and add as a side to a meal or something.
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #678
Franrose
DIS Veteran

Zumba today, woot, and beef strog tonight but in "sensible portions". (I hope )

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #679
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

ok, slight typo in my previous post -- they are called slim fruits. the website is slimfruits.com.au -- i got them in a convenience store, but the website says they are stocked at woolies and selected chemists. i would imagine they should be in the section with the chewing gum and other pastilles like 'joules' and so on... they are very, very small packets, for approx $2

link to woolies online store

i think they have roughly 20-30 pastilles in a small container thingy (the size of a box of gum/mints) and the serving size is 4-5 per day. yesterday, i had 2 in the morning, 1 at lunch and 2 in the mid afternoon (when i usually get my cravings) and i was not only not hungry for most of the day but i didn't even eat at lunchtime, and when i came home, food was unappealing to me.

today, i ate 3 in the morning (skipped breakfast) and had 1 with morning tea, and by mid afternoon, i had really bad cravings (i ended up eating some sliced carrots, so not bad for a mid afternoon indulgence). i very nearly gave into a craving to pick up burgers or pizza or something greasy on the way home, but i resisted...

i think i will prefer to spread them out more though, in the 2 -1-2 arrangement as that seemed to work best for me.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying these are miracle workers, or that they will work for everyone, but as i struggle with mental hunger and constant cravings as a result of the pcos and hormone imbalances that causes, this is a bit of a life saver for me.

today my daily consumption was:

breakfast:40g yoghurt with berries
snack: 2 baby carrots, sliced
snack: 1 mid size apple, sliced
lunch: 1 small flat raw tortilla spread with avocado, rolled up and microwaved for 20 seconds
dinner: small bowl (approx 250g of mixed greens (beans, broccoli, bok choy) with maybe a bit of soy sauce for flavour

my food consumption was terrible prior to this, in terms of empty carbs, empty calories, high gi content, high sugar content, all of which is really bad for me so if i can keep this up, i anticipate good things. and for roughly $2/week, that's not a bad investment..

just wanted to also mention, i have been so inspired by AussieTravellers and her progress on the Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation (12wbt). They have themed lessons each week and she has been detailing her progress and i have really identified with some of the lessons she has shared. they have inspired me to make some much, much needed changes in my life and the way i view food, exercise and my attitude towards my health.

i am not going to judge or pass comment on anyone's lifestyle or choices, but mine were terrible in my opinion in that they were terrible for me, and i did not want to get sick or die or experience worse health issues, so i made my own plan a week ago, determined what changes i would make... and then implemented the plan. so far, baby steps, but i would like to think that by following through on the lessons that Aussie Travellers has shared and the inspiration i have found, i can make a positive difference in my life...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #680
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i am not going to judge or pass comment on anyone's lifestyle or choices, but mine were terrible in my opinion in that they were terrible for me, and i did not want to get sick or die or experience worse health issues, so i made my own plan a week ago, determined what changes i would make... and then implemented the plan. so far, baby steps, but i would like to think that by following through on the lessons that Aussie Travellers has shared and the inspiration i have found, i can make a positive difference in my life...
I used to be one of those who was able to eat anything they wanted and not put on weight. I put on heaps of weight (for me anyway) with pregnancy but managed to lose at least half of it. Then, in my late 30s I find it didn't fall off as easily or as quickly as it once did. I have never been on a diet, thankfully, but now in my early 40s I am thinking I might have to start considering something like that but I'm just so lazy to stick to something. I drink way too much coke but I'm starting to cut down as much as I can. I rarely keep soft drink in the house now and buy a can when I'm out if I want. For the fizz factor I've started drinking soda water at home. I'm concerned that some of my bad eating habits will rub off on to the kids so I'm trying to be aware of what I'm eating now and not 'preach' to them, rather, lead by example.

Good luck to everyone trying to lead a healthier lifestyle for any reason
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #681
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98 View Post
I used to be one of those who was able to eat anything they wanted and not put on weight. I put on heaps of weight (for me anyway) with pregnancy but managed to lose at least half of it. Then, in my late 30s I find it didn't fall off as easily or as quickly as it once did. I have never been on a diet, thankfully, but now in my early 40s I am thinking I might have to start considering something like that but I'm just so lazy to stick to something. I drink way too much coke but I'm starting to cut down as much as I can. I rarely keep soft drink in the house now and buy a can when I'm out if I want. For the fizz factor I've started drinking soda water at home. I'm concerned that some of my bad eating habits will rub off on to the kids so I'm trying to be aware of what I'm eating now and not 'preach' to them, rather, lead by example.

Good luck to everyone trying to lead a healthier lifestyle for any reason
yep..hitting 40 has made weight loss so much harder, and in areas harder to shift ie back/tummy/thighs/butt........its more work...which is a pain.

I enjoy my diet coke..could drink it till i'm sick, so really hard to cut it back to 1 glass a day...but we deserve a treat now and then.

good luck with your program... we're all in this together
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #682
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ok, slight typo in my previous post -- they are called slim fruits. the website is slimfruits.com.au -- i got them in a convenience store, but the website says they are stocked at woolies and selected chemists. i would imagine they should be in the section with the chewing gum and other pastilles like 'joules' and so on... they are very, very small packets, for approx $2

link to woolies online store

i think they have roughly 20-30 pastilles in a small container thingy (the size of a box of gum/mints) and the serving size is 4-5 per day. yesterday, i had 2 in the morning, 1 at lunch and 2 in the mid afternoon (when i usually get my cravings) and i was not only not hungry for most of the day but i didn't even eat at lunchtime, and when i came home, food was unappealing to me.

today, i ate 3 in the morning (skipped breakfast) and had 1 with morning tea, and by mid afternoon, i had really bad cravings (i ended up eating some sliced carrots, so not bad for a mid afternoon indulgence). i very nearly gave into a craving to pick up burgers or pizza or something greasy on the way home, but i resisted...

i think i will prefer to spread them out more though, in the 2 -1-2 arrangement as that seemed to work best for me.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying these are miracle workers, or that they will work for everyone, but as i struggle with mental hunger and constant cravings as a result of the pcos and hormone imbalances that causes, this is a bit of a life saver for me.

today my daily consumption was:

breakfast:40g yoghurt with berries
snack: 2 baby carrots, sliced
snack: 1 mid size apple, sliced
lunch: 1 small flat raw tortilla spread with avocado, rolled up and microwaved for 20 seconds
dinner: small bowl (approx 250g of mixed greens (beans, broccoli, bok choy) with maybe a bit of soy sauce for flavour

my food consumption was terrible prior to this, in terms of empty carbs, empty calories, high gi content, high sugar content, all of which is really bad for me so if i can keep this up, i anticipate good things. and for roughly $2/week, that's not a bad investment..

just wanted to also mention, i have been so inspired by AussieTravellers and her progress on the Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation (12wbt). They have themed lessons each week and she has been detailing her progress and i have really identified with some of the lessons she has shared. they have inspired me to make some much, much needed changes in my life and the way i view food, exercise and my attitude towards my health.

Alicia - where has Aussietravellers been sharing this wisdom? Can you send me a link? Thank u

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #683
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

And tonight we are off to cactus jacks for dinner so hopefully i will find something healthy (don't know how that'll go since I love chimichangas ) so it'll be a chimichanga and no dessert or a healthy entree and chocolate nachos for dessert There goes my best laid plans...
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #684
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Seems that like me this page hasnt been getting much of a work out.

The last few weeks i have been a little flu-y with swollen glands and sore throats. I put it down to returning to work and the joys of public transport. friday i couldnt keep my eyes open and my lymph nodes were swollen and i had a fever in the omg range. Same saturday but i pushed through it to host a family gathering during which fever came back and i was exhausted. Sunday i was horridly sore, aches and pains etc. Monday i was gonna see the doc but couldnt find the energy to leave the house.

This morning my doc diagnoses glandular fever (recurring strain as i had it approx 10 years ago). The next few weeks and months are going to be fun .. Just started a new job and all my immune system wants to do is sleep. Freaking hell is where i am at right now...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #685
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506
Seems that like me this page hasnt been getting much of a work out.
ad:
A bit like me! Haha...

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #686
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506

This morning my doc diagnoses glandular fever (recurring strain as i had it approx 10 years ago). The next few weeks and months are going to be fun .. Just started a new job and all my immune system wants to do is sleep. Freaking hell is where i am at right now...
Oh no Alicia! That sucks big time. I hope you are able to get some rest and start recovering

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #687
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Oh Alicia - you really are in the wars, aren't you?? I trust your new employers are more sympathetic than your previous ones!! And public transport - ugh!! I'm glad that I'm able to drive myself to work!! (Still have to catch a staff bus, though, which is a hot bed of germs!! But it's only for 5 minutes!)
Rest up and get yourself well. Sending pixie dust your way!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #688
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

did step last night

had a learner instructor....bl00dy waste of time....couldnt understand a word she said so spent the whole time lagging behind.....and i have put on a kg in the last week so not too happy about that....

no gym today....i'm now off to get my potato gems out of the oven for morning tea..screw the diet..i need carbs today
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #689
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
had a learner instructor....bl00dy waste of time....couldnt understand a word she said so spent the whole time lagging behind.....and i have put on a kg in the last week so not too happy about that....

no gym today....i'm now off to get my potato gems out of the oven for morning tea..screw the diet..i need carbs today
yesterday was a bad day for me. carlo's friends bought him a mrs fields cookie cake. one giant cookie (easily 30cm across in diameter) layered on icing on top of another giant cookie, covered with icing rosettes and words spelling out happy birthday. i had the tiniest piece i could cut (approx 2cm wide at the widest part) and omg, i swear i developed diabetes and entered a sugar coma.

since my current job is only contract/casual but we will be made permanent at the end of the contract term, i went into work today. had a huge difficulty staying awake and had to do some awesome cramming to try and self-learn all the stuff they covered over the last 3 days... but i think i am vaguely up to speed. i really don't want to jeopardise this job (the hours are great and it's close to home and easy to get to). the full time job is in a dodgy part of town, hard for me to get to, and requires weekends and working til 11pm which really doesn't suit our work/family balance... so for now i'm making it work at the telco... they were pretty understanding about my illness, however... the agency didn't tell them i was sick so they just thought i had stopped showing up for work!!! how rude!!! when i explained the situation though, they were awesome. i am determined to put in the hours and just make it work

no appetite today, so that is a good side effect of being sick i think

good luck with the diet/exercise/whatever is floating your boat this week
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #690
australiankaren

i need to confess

today so far i have had:
2 paddle pops
1 entire bag of potato gems...family size...oven baked
bowl coco pops
3 packs snack noodles
1 tin baked beans (small)
2 slices bread
1 coco pop bar
3 strong double shot black coffees

and now chicken taco

i feel like crap..maybe a trip to maccas may help as well