Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #91
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Akkkk! I just found out that DCL is already exploring other options for our Dream cruise (sailing Thursday) due to Sandy.

I don't wanna miss my first 5K!

Quick, everyone turns your fans so they blow southeast and lets keep Sandy away!!!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #92
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youalleverybody View Post
I did it!!! My first 5K. Tuesday during our Dream cruise.

I started couch to 5K in mid-August, and ran the Castaway Cay 5K in 36 minutes. I finished in the middle of the pack. There were plently of people combining walking and jogging, and the cast members stuck around until the last person finished, around 56 minutes. We got medals, and they had plenty of t-shirts left. I didn't buy one because the are unisex...I wrote on my comment card that they should make women's cut castaway cay 5K t-shirts. I"d buy that!

They had a large crate to store your beach bag, and plenty of water stops, and appropriate signage.

When I was finished, I changed into my swimsuit and immediately ordered a Konk Cooler (there is a convenient drink station right behind the finish line). Later, at Serenity Bay, I had a Shin Splint. DH and I ate at Remy that night, too. It was THE PERFECT DAY.

I ran a little around deck 4 one morning. It wasn't too crowded. It's also really nice to go up to the exercise room in the Spa and run on the treadmill overlooking the ocean. We did that another morning.

Enjoy!!!
What do you do with the kids? Since the club isn't open on the ship on CC days, and the club isn't open on the island yet when the 5K starts. My husband and I might try for this but if there is no place to drop the kids only one can

Sorry if this was already answered, I didn't look through every post.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas
May 2013 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #93
amanda202
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugit
DW and I were on a double dip in July and did the 5 K on both stops. It was our first time doing the 5 K. It was a great time. But I would rather do it now than in July. It was hot then but I'll bet it is beautiful now. Had a great time and while I am NOT fast I don't think we'd ever miss a chance to do it again.

If I recall correctly, the t-shirt went up to at least 2x if not 3.
Cool- thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Disney Wonder 10/23/10
Disney Dream 12/02/12
amanda202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #94
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

I just started running last month, and I started at a 16 min mile. Last Thursday, i ran my first 3 miles ever in my life at 13:00/mile. This past Saturday, my time for 3.2 miles was 38:47. I have a sprained calf right now so I'm taking it easy, but I never in my 35+ years thought I'd consider myself a runner and I'm absolutely LOVING it now.

Our 3 night cruise is in Feb 2013. DS and I plan to go parasailing. I really want to run the CC5K and have it be my first ever official 5K race. I really hope that it doesn't conflict with the parasailing, and that we'll still have time for snorkeling with DS and Gamma afterwards. My fingers are crossed!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #95
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

I finally finished our T-shirts - now let's just hope Sandy doesn't change our plans!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #96
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Just started the C25K training yesterday in hopes of running the 5K on the member cruise in Jan. hope they still do the run, if not I'll be we'll prepared to run in sept.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #97
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

I'm running my first CC5K in November. I started running because of this race but ended up falling in love with running and have gotten a lot more ambitious. Now I'm planning to run the WDW Marathon in 2014.

When I started, I could barely run a mile and a half. Now I'm running up to 5 miles and getting better every day. Weird, since I hated running. I'm slow as molasses but I'm just starting out. I even started a blog to keep track of my progress and keep myself accountable. Its called The Fat Runner.

afatrunner.blogspot.com

It's pretty amazing how a little race can motivate so much people.

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #98
vwluvnrn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi
I just started running last month, and I started at a 16 min mile. Last Thursday, i ran my first 3 miles ever in my life at 13:00/mile. This past Saturday, my time for 3.2 miles was 38:47. I have a sprained calf right now so I'm taking it easy, but I never in my 35+ years thought I'd consider myself a runner and I'm absolutely LOVING it now.

Our 3 night cruise is in Feb 2013. DS and I plan to go parasailing. I really want to run the CC5K and have it be my first ever official 5K race. I really hope that it doesn't conflict with the parasailing, and that we'll still have time for snorkeling with DS and Gamma afterwards. My fingers are crossed!
I just ran it on Oct 20th. We met on board at 8:30 and it started at 9:00 so you will have plenty of time for other things. Make sure you go right over to Buy the seashore shop to buy your t-shirt they were hanging outside and there weren't very many. Good luck!
vwluvnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #99
MatthewsMommy
Mouseketeer

I am considering running the CC5K on our Feb Fantasy cruise. I just started running a month ago, I had started the C25K program last spring but stopped after week 5 for a number of reasons. Friends of mine talked me into doing a 5K mud obstacle run on 10/13 and I had only 3 weeks to prepare - I had a blast! We plan to do more of these races next spring/summer so I'm going to continue training. I am running on the treadmill right now but am finally feeling confident enough to take it outside (there are a lot of runners in my area). My goal in the next couple of months is to get down to a 10 min mile.

Good luck to all those running soon!

MatthewsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #100
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uziel5000
I'm running my first CC5K in November. I started running because of this race but ended up falling in love with running and have gotten a lot more ambitious. Now I'm planning to run the WDW Marathon in 2014.

When I started, I could barely run a mile and a half. Now I'm running up to 5 miles and getting better every day. Weird, since I hated running. I'm slow as molasses but I'm just starting out. I even started a blog to keep track of my progress and keep myself accountable. Its called The Fat Runner.

afatrunner.blogspot.com

It's pretty amazing how a little race can motivate so much people.
First of all ... Hola Boricua!

I think it's awesome your training for the 2014 marathon. I just got the bright idea to try the 5K and then a day later decided I want to work my way towards a 1/2 marathon. However this Cali-Rican hasn't run since high school! I'll be reading your blog. Good Luck!
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #101
CruisingGoddess
Disney Princess

Hi, everyone!

I'm currently on Week 4 of Jeff Galloway's 22-week training program for the Princess 1/2 Marathon in February but I'll be sailing Fantasy next month so I've decided to do the Castaway Cay 5k as a stepping stone.

rior to this month, I literally didn't do ANY exercise. I've gone through years of wasting gym memberships, exercise equipment, quitting fitness programs, etc. and gained about 35 lbs. in the last 6 years. I've been struggling with motivation. Even high blood pressure and my doctor telling me to exercise because I'm pre-diabetic didn't motivate me. But my obsession with Disney, which is unhealthy for my bank account, is finally turning into something healthy!

I ran my first practice 5k on 10/14 at a time of 52:32. I just ran it again this morning at 46:19 so I'm making progress! Things have gotten better since I got outfitted in the right shoes and some awesome accessories (shin sleeves & hydration belt) at my local running store.

Anyway, looking forward to doing this and having my first race under my belt!

Upcoming: WDW Half 2015 (Art of Animation), 1/12/2015 - Disney Dream Inaugural Castaway Cay Challenge, 6/27/2015 - ABD South Africa

Cruises: 11/24/2012 - Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean | 4/25/2009 - Disney Magic E. Caribbean w/Tortola | 4/23/2006 - Disney Wonder Bahamas | 4 x Princess, 2 x Celebrity, 2 x Norwegian, 1 x Royal Caribbean
Resorts: 3/2003 - Grand Californian | 1/2004 - Old Key West | 4/2006- Grand Floridian Honeymoon Suite | 5/2012 - Disneyland Hotel Suite | 12/2012 - Animal Kingdom | 2/2013 - Wilderness Lodge | 1/2014 - Paradise Pier | 2/2014 - Polynesian Resort | 11/2014 - Yacht Club
Races: Wine & Dine Half 2014, Glass Slipper Challenge 2014, Tinker Bell Half 2014, Disneyland Half 2013, Princess Half 2013
CruisingGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #102
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the encouragement!

We need more folks to cheer on though!

Where are all the other CC5K first timers?
I'm a first timer! So excited but kinda scared because I don't think I've run since highschool
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #103
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Glitter View Post
First of all ... Hola Boricua!

I think it's awesome your training for the 2014 marathon. I just got the bright idea to try the 5K and then a day later decided I want to work my way towards a 1/2 marathon. However this Cali-Rican hasn't run since high school! I'll be reading your blog. Good Luck!
Hey! Good to hear from our brethren here on the Dis Boards. Wow Cali-Rican. Now there's a combination!

Since you are in Anaheim, you could easily make next year's Disneyland Half-Marathon your goal race. Just remember to take it slow and easy. Good Luck!

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #104
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Beat my best time with an 11:26 mile and a 36:42 5k this morning!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #105
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi
Beat my best time with an 11:26 mile and a 36:42 5k this morning!
Congrats! I'm watching my daughter and her best friend this morning, so I'll be trying to squeeze in a workout later today.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: