DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
DinahInWonderland
Mouseketeer

Add on Regrets?

My husband and I have been thinking about adding 50 points to our 150 at BLT. We wanted to have enough points to stay for two weeks in a one bedroom every 2-3 years and this seems like enough points to do that comfortably. But I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to an add on. I'm such and over-analyzer and I'm worried that I am missing some glaring downside to having that many points when we don't plan on going every year; my husband thinks I'm crazy and only worrying because there is nothing I can find wrong!

Has anyone added on and regretted it later? If so why? I feel like there have to be questions that I'm not asking myself!

Last edited by DinahInWonderland; 10-23-2012 at 08:06 AM.
DinahInWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

My only regret was that my first resale purchase was a 50 point contract with a different UY than our original contract. Two additional resale purchases since then have been with the same UY as our initial contract. The only reason I did the resale purchase with a different UY was to get some additional points prior to the 3/21/11 resale restriction deadline. In hind-sight, it was probably not necessary. Now I have to call MS every year to transfer those 50 points to our other contract to use for a single vacation. Not really a huge issue, but a minor inconvenience.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

If you can afford it and truly plan to go every 2 - 3 years then I do not really see a downside other then the added maintenance fee's. We have added on several times - no regrets but then again we bought for bigger accommodations (2 bedroom), either every year or longer stays every other year. We also have 3 DD's that are in their late teens/early 20's and have also used our points.

Good luck with your decision - only you can make it though!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
DinahInWonderland
Mouseketeer

dbs1228 you mentioned having older children. Did they ever go through a period where a Disney vacation was just not what they wanted to do? We only have one son now and he is 1 1/2 but I'm worried when he hits his teens he isn't going to want to go anywhere near Disney World let alone every year or for two weeks at a time and the extra points will end up being wasted.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
ELMC
DIS Veteran

One downside I can see is the cost. I don't know what BLT cost when you made your original purchase, but now it is $165 a point. That would be a pretty big deterrent for me.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
edk35
DIS Veteran

At times....YES the maintenance fees!!! We originally bought three 100 pt. contracts at SSR, then added on 100 at AK, then added on 50 and 100 at VWL. Then its a vicious cycle of GOING GOING GOING TO DISNEY AND SPENDING SPENDING SPENDING AT DISNEY. I hear CHA CHING CHA CHING a lot in my head!!!

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Disneymagicforme
Earning My Ears

Our children are 16 & 18 (high school and college) we've been going to Disney every year since they were born. They are always excited/happy to go. It is their home away from home - we don't have a "cabin", we have Disney. We just made an offer on a DVC resale, we've always stayed at a disney resort with cash. Kind of wish we'd bought DVC earlier. My kids will leave home soon, but I have no doubt that if I book a DVC 2 bedroom (we really need the bathrooms and the kids don't like fold out couches-me neither), they will be delighted to join us.
Disneymagicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymagicforme View Post
Our children are 16 & 18 (high school and college) we've been going to Disney every year since they were born. They are always excited/happy to go. It is their home away from home - we don't have a "cabin", we have Disney. We just made an offer on a DVC resale, we've always stayed at a disney resort with cash. Kind of wish we'd bought DVC earlier. My kids will leave home soon, but I have no doubt that if I book a DVC 2 bedroom (we really need the bathrooms and the kids don't like fold out couches-me neither), they will be delighted to join us.
Our 2 DD`s are now 16 and 18. Like you we have been going to Disney every year for a few days since they were 2 and 4. We only purchased DVC two years ago and we are all excited to go to our ``home away from home`` again this Christmas. My 18 year old just told me the other day: it`s funny how we never get sick of Disney even when we go every year!!! My 16 year old went with us last Christmas, then went back in February on a school trip and cannot wait to get back there again this year. DH and I are already looking forward (although not in any hurry) to our retirment trips!!

We really enjoy BLT and I am glad that we hadn`t purchased any earlier because we would be longing for BLT to be our home resort.
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
DinahInWonderland
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice and opinions. I think we are going to move forward and add on the extra points. I'm so excited, just hope we don't get add-on fever!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
TSMMANIAC
Mouseketeer

We purchased DVC back in 1993. We have added on several times since. We have 2 different home resorts with different use years. I would recommend getting the same use year so points can easily be combined. I have children aged 22,25, and 17 they still love going to WDW multiple times a year. One daughter has done the CP program and plans to go back for another semester. Some kids will never stop enjoying Disney and some will grow out of it. But I never will!
TSMMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
DinahInWonderland
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice and opinions. I think we are going to move forward and add on the extra points. I'm so excited, just hope we don't get add-on fever!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinahInWonderland View Post
dbs1228 you mentioned having older children. Did they ever go through a period where a Disney vacation was just not what they wanted to do? We only have one son now and he is 1 1/2 but I'm worried when he hits his teens he isn't going to want to go anywhere near Disney World let alone every year or for two weeks at a time and the extra points will end up being wasted.
Yup they still love it my 2 older DD's have used our points (and my moms RCI exchange to go to wdw) and my younger DD cannot wait to graduate so she can go with friends. This NYE we are bringing 2 older DD's boyfriends and younger DD's friend along with my niece (21) this is the 1st time doing that! (BLT GV )

Over the years the girls have always referred to our wdw vacations as our family bonding time - we take other vacations which are great but wdw feels like home away from home.

Enjoy

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: