Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Bookworm715
Earning My Ears

Confused- rent DVC or use discount? Difference?

I apologize,as this is probably an obvious question for most. I have searched and read so much, but it's just gotten me more confused on this topic.

We are going to WDW at the end of Jan or early Feb (we're flexible). Going by the discount that was recently released, and by the numbers David's DVC Rentals gives me, I see the following:

4 nights, Savannah view, at AKL (reserved online thru WDW): $1530
4 nights, studio Savannah view AK Villa (reserved thru David's): $728

What am I missing? It seems that I'm reading the room sizes are similar, and that we wouldn't get housekeeping if we rent the points...what possible reason would there be to do the direct reservation instead of the DVC? Surely I'm missing something, right?
Bookworm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm715 View Post
I apologize,as this is probably an obvious question for most. I have searched and read so much, but it's just gotten me more confused on this topic.

We are going to WDW at the end of Jan or early Feb (we're flexible). Going by the discount that was recently released, and by the numbers David's DVC Rentals gives me, I see the following:

4 nights, Savannah view, at AKL (reserved online thru WDW): $1530
4 nights, studio Savannah view AK Villa (reserved thru David's): $728

What am I missing? It seems that I'm reading the room sizes are similar, and that we wouldn't get housekeeping if we rent the points...what possible reason would there be to do the direct reservation instead of the DVC? Surely I'm missing something, right?
Nop you aren't missing anything . I felt the same way when I found out about DVC. We are renting points for the first time next year and saved a huge chunk of $$$. I could care less about daily housekeeping so that wasn't a biggie for me at all!

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ x 2
2015 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

I agree renting points is a great $$ saver but you run the risk of not being eligible for any discounts that might come out otherwise. Granted for a Jan/Feb trip chances are you won't see anything better than the savings you would see for points. How many people are going? Studios are small there's only 1 bed and a pullout sofa. In a regular AKL room you get 2 beds.

With a rental you have to pay up front where as direct you can space your payments out or with room only pay when you arrive. You get daily housekeeping and peace of mind with a good cancellation policy than you don't get with a rental.

If you are firm on your dates and have all the funds up front renting is a great option IMO. Not sure how popular the savannah view studios are though it might be hard to get one for Jan/Feb at this point in time.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Bookworm715
Earning My Ears

It'll be my husband and I and our two kids- 3 and 6. they will sometimes end up in the same twin bed, so I don't think space will be an issue in that sense. Also, we won't be spending much time in the room, so I think that would be ok. We might do a split reservation, maybe 3 days at AK and then pay for one night at Polynesian or something. We really are very flexible, as we've never stayed in a Disney property, so we'll be happy with just about anything we can get.
Bookworm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
prairiesarah
Earning My Ears

You really won't find much difference room-wise and the price can't be beat going through David's. However the only issue you may find trying book through David's or renting through a DVC member is booking a room with that short of notice. From what I understand at any of the high demand resorts, you need to book 7 months out (I think the booking window is 7 months???). From what I understand it is fairly easy to get a room at SSR on shorter notice, but any of the others you may get lucky, but the chances are much slimmer.
prairiesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
sndral
DIS Veteran

Your studio will be on the 5th floor (unless concierge,) not prime viewing like eye level lower floors, but more panoramic - more looking down on the animals. I'm assuming that both units are @ Jambo, AKL has studios in Kidani as well.
The studio will have 1 bed and one sleeper sofa. You will need to pull out and re fold that sofa each day/night.
DVC units tend to cost more points on fri. and sat. nights, maybe your short stay avoids those nights?
Make sure your quoted cash room rate hasn't accidently added park tickets or insurance (the Disney site is weird that way.) Did you price out an AKL studio on a cash ressie w/ discount?
Generally the DVC rent studio v. room w/ discount comparisons seem to favor the rent DVC studio. Larger units sometimes the cash discount equals the rent DVC for the same unit, or is less.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
butsy113
AKV Owner

If you want a AKV savannah view you should be able to get one no problem as long as you stay away from MLK weekend (I think the 19th and 20th). There are more studios over in Kidani Village. That would be your way to go. Also the savannah views will be better. If you want to see giraffes request the Sunset Savannah Have a nice trip!

By the way, We love AKV!! That's why we call it "home"!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: