Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Klib624
Earning My Ears

Best Moderate Resort ----not including POR

We are still weighing our options. The only moderate resort we have stayed at and love is POR (three years in a row!) We want to stay at a deluxe but also are keeping our options open. POR has been wonderful but we are ready for a change and a little less spread out resort. No matter where you stay at POR its a long walk to anything. Help please. Would love to hear feedback from you!
June 2011-POR
June 2012-POR Royal Room
Next vacation June 14-22 - WL
Klib624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Since you don't want to be spread out with long walking distances I would have said POFQ; but I won't since you have already been to POR and it's so close. Perhaps since you mentioned possibly going deluxe I would recommend the Wilderness Lodge. The cost is much lower than other deluxes and not that much more than a moderate. The location is very close to the MK and has excellent transportation. The resort is compact and has little walking distances. And the property is simply spectacular in it's theming.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Jillianv29
Mouseketeer

I loved POFQ specifically for the small size. I had originally booked C'S but after reading about the conventions and long walks I quickly changed. I knew for my own personal preference I wanted a small resort. I liked that it had only one bus stop and no matter what building your in it's not a long walk anywhere. I heard others say the smallness actually made it feel more crowded. Now when we were there (last week in sep) we didn't feel that way at all but it could all depend on the time of year. We took the walk over to POR and I did enjoy the theming, food court, lobby better but it seemed huge. Any hotel will be amazing I bet!!!
Jillianv29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
BNukem
Love the Mouse

To be fair, POR and POFQ are the only moderates we've stayed at, but we've also been to AKL twice and Poly twice and Contemporary once. I have to say that I LOVED POFQ. To me it seemed like a moderate with a deluxe feel. Only one bus stop, a nice pool, boat to downtown, and a compact resort. I would love to stay there again!
2009-Polynesian

2010-Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
2011-Polynesian
2012-Port Orleans French Quarter
2013-Port Orleans French Quarter

::me 43 : DH 44
DD 19 DD16 DD 4
BNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you want a moderate that is not so spread out, the only choice is POFQ. Unless you would be happy with a preferred location in a larger resort. Then either CSR or CBR would work too.

I've stayed at POFQ, CSR, and POR and like all 3 resorts. You really can't make a bad decision. I'll be able to tell you about CBR in a couple of months too! I'm staying there in December.

The one thing that gives CSR an edge is that they have a health club, if that would be at all useful to you. And as many of the guests at CSR are there for conventions the buses tend to not be packed as full as the buses at the other resorts.

If you want to be close to the main buildings and bus stop either stay at POFQ or pay for a preferred room at any other moderate. You can't make a bad choice.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've stayed at all 4. POFQ for the smaller size.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

In my opinion, do NOT choose Caribbean Beach Resort. We stayed there our first year back in 2005 and we disliked it. We spent more time on buses going around the Resort property before going to the parks. If you want to go to Breakfast from your hotel room and can't really walk that far, you will have to hop on a bus just to grab something to eat.Blah.

We have stayed Value Resorts such as All Star Music (which in our opinion also sucked) but now we are annual Pop century stayers and love it. But as you say you are staying Moderate. So hopefully you can find something you like.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

For our family, our favorite moderate resort is CBR. It just suits our needs and we love the pool. IMO, the nicest moderate resort is CSR. I think the food options here are the best, it has a health club, a lounge, and the rooms are just so pretty. The grounds are beautiful. It is spread out but I found it fairly quick to get around.

For less expensive deluxe options, perhaps the WL, AKL, or maybe a garden wing room at the CR. I have only stayed at AK Kidani so I am not sure how much walking Jambo house is but I do know that the CR (including the garden view rooms) and the WL are fairly compact.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
scm200
Mouseketeer

we like coranado, but we were close to the main building, cbr is huge, we actually like pop century better than some of the moderates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: