Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Fire Alarm Testing at the Resorts.

I posted this in the WL thread but thought I'd see if anyone at other resorts had similar experiences.

The resort was wonderful, but I will say that we had some irritation due to them testing the fire alarms. They started on Wednesday and left a note saying it would be from one until three.

We arrived back to the hotel around one-thirty and the alarm was going strong. We quickly changed because being in the room made me physically nauseous because the noise was so piercing. We went down to the pool, and all of the CMs were telling us that it never lasted so long. At three it was STILL going off! We were told that it would definitely stop at three thirty. We had five-thirty reservations at California Grill, so really needed to shower and change.

Luckily it did stop right at three thirty. When we got back from our dinner there was a Mickey balloon in our room. I assume they gave them to everyone since we never gave our name or room number. Though I suppose the CMs on the Club Level might have known us by then.

So, all was good... Until Friday. We spent a short day at MK due to it being our last day (left on Saturday) and our twins being worn out. They actually fell asleep in their stroller on the ferry. Got back to the resort and the alarm was going off again! They hadn't finished testing and said it would be going until three again! We complained right to a manager. He was very understanding. I mean we were understanding too. We realize they have to test these things, but two days in one week where you can't use your room for the entire afternoon us unacceptable. They comp'd us half a nights stay, which I thought was a good compromise.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
I posted this in the WL thread but thought I'd see if anyone at other resorts had similar experiences.

The resort was wonderful, but I will say that we had some irritation due to them testing the fire alarms. They started on Wednesday and left a note saying it would be from one until three.

We arrived back to the hotel around one-thirty and the alarm was going strong. We quickly changed because being in the room made me physically nauseous because the noise was so piercing. We went down to the pool, and all of the CMs were telling us that it never lasted so long. At three it was STILL going off! We were told that it would definitely stop at three thirty. We had five-thirty reservations at California Grill, so really needed to shower and change.

Luckily it did stop right at three thirty. When we got back from our dinner there was a Mickey balloon in our room. I assume they gave them to everyone since we never gave our name or room number. Though I suppose the CMs on the Club Level might have known us by then.

So, all was good... Until Friday. We spent a short day at MK due to it being our last day (left on Saturday) and our twins being worn out. They actually fell asleep in their stroller on the ferry. Got back to the resort and the alarm was going off again! They hadn't finished testing and said it would be going until three again! We complained right to a manager. He was very understanding. I mean we were understanding too. We realize they have to test these things, but two days in one week where you can't use your room for the entire afternoon us unacceptable. They comp'd us half a nights stay, which I thought was a good compromise.
When we stayed at WL in July (also CL), we found the alarms being tested one afternoon...except we hadn't even gotten a warning. We got our clothes on...we had been napping and went downstairs...I mean...down.the.stairs...because we know in fires you can't use the elevator. I wish we had gone to the elevator, because we would have found out it was a test and not real.

It was annoying, and when we got back upstairs, the manager apologized for not telling us...we moved on, and I didn't think about it again...until you just brought it up. I would have never thought to ask for compensation for it...it's something that has to be done. My work building does testing all the time (it's a high rise)...I should ask for a bonus every time they do it...I'd be rich.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Well if it had been a one-and-done thing, I wouldn't have even complained, but we are talking about three straight hours of nauseatingly ear-piercing noise making our room unlivable, two days during a one week stay.

If I'm paying 600+ dollars a night, darn well I'm going to be irritated if I can't use what I've paid for for six+ hours.

Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well if it had been a one-and-done thing, I wouldn't have even complained, but we are talking about three straight hours of nauseatingly ear-piercing noise making our room unlivable, two days during a one week stay.

If I'm paying 600+ dollars a night, darn well I'm going to be irritated if I can't use what I've paid for for six+ hours.
For $600/night I might have been a bit more irritated. We paid far less than that. It sounds like you are super sensitive to the sound if it made you nauseous. We just turned the tv up louder and then ultimately decided to go out and explore once it lasted for longer than an hour...like I said, definitely annoying but has to be done.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Yeah, we splurged on Club Level Deluxe because we never really vacation and this was our boys' first visit.

I met another woman who experienced the same nausea, but it didn't have that affect on my husband. I do know that my ears have always been particularly sensitive. My parents used to joke about my "bat ears". They couldn't whisper something at the far end of the house without me hearing it.

Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, we splurged on Club Level Deluxe because we never really vacation and this was our boys' first visit.

I met another woman who experienced the same nausea, but it didn't have that affect on my husband. I do know that my ears have always been particularly sensitive. My parents used to joke about my "bat ears". They couldn't whisper something at the far end of the house without me hearing it.

Well hopefully you feel fully compensated for your troubles. Our first WL stay was in July and we will definitely be back at some point. We want to try all of the resorts so were on to BC for our next trip, but we absolutely LOVED WL!

PAST TRIPS:
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

This happened to us at WL in May. My DS has an intense fear of fires and fire alarms and it went off while we were trying to nap mid afternoon so we could stay up late. I called the desk and they had no idea what was going on and why. We did have a notice ahead of time and I believe it had the time listed for the test. However they tested it hours after they said they would and it lasted an hour- the entire time we had set aside for a nap. It was loud and the alarm was in our room and and the hall too. Turning up the tv would have done nothing for us!
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:

In fairness to the resort, though - you knew there would be testing from 1-3 the original day, but returned to your room at 1:30. That left only 30 minutes of unexpected testing one day, and something less than two hours of testing the other day. That's at most 5.2% of those two days - so the balloon and $300 credit/refund sound like a great apology!
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Wile it is not a "free to get away with permission slip" a big problem is that some tests and drills are not even known to management until very last minute. Been there, done that almost 3 weeks ago at the BW.

That consisted of a drill during the night where there would be a power outage. Guests were not informed until the evening hours before the outage. Very last minute, but the info provided by voicemail was pretty proactive allround offering wake up options, there being options in case of medical need and how to proceed etc. I got on the phone right away, as I need power overnight for medical stuff. Got a snafu going on dealing with that and I waited quite a while myself reckoning I obviously wasn't the only one with these needs, before I got back on it. This time hiked over to the front desk. Still no excuse, same sentiment about that from management, but even they didn't know until that day. My needs did get taken care of and more than that, incl. offering to move me over to another resort for the night if any medical risk whatsoever or worrying about such a risk. Decided to stay put, not wanting to drain myself too much with how big a move that would be for me and the back up generator should be able to get me through most of the night and the rest would require rescheduling on my part but no risk or anything.

OK, turned out to be a long night. Drill took them to at least 5.30 am from around 1 am, power outage for about 2.5 hours. No biggie, except that those in the drill felt the need to let doors fall shut instead of trying to be a bit quiet. Read; very load banging in dead quite night and long hallways. With a room very close to a fire exit, cast member storage and emergency exit that were a lot of doors banging open and shut so to say. Not my finest resort night. Unfortunately sometimes it happens.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I guess I'd rather go through a few hours of testing than to have no testing and get the alternative.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8
I guess I'd rather go through a few hours of testing than to have no testing and get the alternative.
I have to say I work in the business and I do not even hear them anymore. I can understand how much of a surprise it would be.

Mt first thought would be they found a problem in the system and had to continue to test.

I would have suggested to my family to take a break and go over next door to FW. Kinda a no-brainer. The alternative is some time during the night the system did not work and you did not get out in time.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: