Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

I am failing to see why u can't just say that disney has increased the prices to make a bigger profit... They are a business.... Don't get me wrong... I am going there and I love disney and will have an amazing time ... But I am not kidding myself with the idea that cost have increased 20% ...... And FYI I own stock and it has been a good 3 years

1986,1991,1996, 2009, jan 2013
mom of lil princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #32
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of lil princess View Post
I am failing to see why u can't just say that disney has increased the prices to make a bigger profit... They are a business.... Don't get me wrong... I am going there and I love disney and will have an amazing time ... But I am not kidding myself with the idea that cost have increased 20% ...... And FYI I own stock and it has been a good 3 years
Because getting more profit is not the only reason they have increased prices. Costs have gone up. Plus, they have a ton of stuff they are working on--resort refurbs and rebuilds. Ride refurbs and new rides to finish building. Restaurant refurbs. Disney is spending money hand over fist!
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynhawaii View Post
Aloha,

Lastly, it appears the parks also open later than the use to. It appears for the summer the park generally open at 9 AM. Yikes. So basically a family has only four hours to enjoy the park before the crowds, heat and humidity becomes totally unbearable.

What a head scratcher!
I've wondered myself why in a such a hot location, the parks don't open much earlier before the sun and heat are so bad. I would love to see the parks opening at 7 a.m everyday until cold weather sets in.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
I've wondered myself why in a such a hot location, the parks don't open much earlier before the sun and heat are so bad. I would love to see the parks opening at 7 a.m everyday until cold weather sets in.
Not enough people would take advantage of those hours. Heck, even during peak periods when they have morning EMHs at 8am the parks are surprisingly dead for the first 2 hours.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #35
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of lil princess View Post
Again, the inflation rate does NOT indicate or equal the increased price/cost of individual goods or services.

A sheet set that cost $50 in 1999 costs $65 now, just for the materials. That doesn't include increased labor costs, or higher fuel charges - all have gone up much more than 7.9% in the last three years.

Wages: I sure as heck hope Cast Members are making greater than 7.9% more now than in 2009. Each CM who was earning $8/hour in 2009 would be earning $8.63 an hour now; Disney, of course, has additional payroll taxes and other costs - for every single respect CM.

Utilities: I don't know the rates in LBV, but I wouldn't be surprised if electricity has increased more than 7.9% in the last three years; usage certainly has. WDW just added to its in-room tv programming. That's not costing them nothing, so it's entirely reasonable to pass that cost on. Wi-fi isn't free, it's included in the room rate (and personally, I resent subsidizing a service I won't use).
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #36
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

Of course some expenses have increased more then eight percent... Inflation is based on a basket of goods average.... Some are less then 8... And remember cm retire and leave there jobs usually meaning that they can be replaced with someone making less... I am sure an average employees pay has gone up more then 8 percent... But again it's the average. It is not an exact science..... All I am saying is disney is a business trying to get the most profit they can... I am not saying that makes them bad or wrong.....

1986,1991,1996, 2009, jan 2013
mom of lil princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Cast Members are unionized, so what they're paid, and their benefits,and Disney's additional payroll costs are determined by contract and entirely likely cost Disney a lot more than just 7.9% more than it all did three years ago. That was an example. Another example would be the higher-than-7.9% cost to replace items damaged or acquired by guests.

You keep talking about the inflation rate and average bucket. Walt Disney World isn't average; the guest expectations are higher, its costs are greater. And Disney - the overall company, not just the WDW resorts - isn't getting the most profit possible, they're getting all the owners (shareholders) the best profit possible.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #38
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal2007 View Post
But it is soooo worth it! The price goes up and we keep going. Disney is doing something right.
I know, same for us too.
It's a pricey trip, but the experience and memories are priceless. Where there's a Mickey there's a way!
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: