Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Ipod Touch Questions

My DD wants one for her upcoming birthday. I am clueless as to what this device actually does! Is it like an upgraded ipod with game apps? I read that you can text with it. So if I have a Verizon cell phone, can she text me for free from the Ipod touch? She also has an old school ipod and lots of songs on it. Can I transfer them to her Ipod touch through Itunes? See, I'm clueless. Any advice or clarity would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,383

Ipod touch is basically a touchscreen ipod with gaming capabilities... its like a smartphone without the phone portion.

To sync music to iPod Touch, you should have a copy of all your music on your computer, all you have to do is sync it to your iPod Touch.

If not, then it may get complicated...
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
Ipod touch is basically a touchscreen ipod with gaming capabilities... its like a smartphone without the phone portion.

To sync music to iPod Touch, you should have a copy of all your music on your computer, all you have to do is sync it to your iPod Touch.

If not, then it may get complicated...
She has her music on Itunes, can I synch the Ipod Touch with her old library there then?
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
She has her music on Itunes, can I synch the Ipod Touch with her old library there then?
yup!
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
yup!
Oh whew! I wasn't going to get it if it meant getting all new songs and movies again! That's a relief that she won't lose anything then. Thanks for the great description too. So it's like an iphone without the ability to actually call. I'm assuming that I'd need to have some sort of iphone in order for her to text me then, right? I have a boring Verizon phone right now.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella
 
Kathryn Merteuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,228

Yes as long as you have the songs and stuff on your computer, you can put them on other iPod devices. My computer syncs my iPhone, iPod Nano, and my husband's Nano. You can assign names to the various devices (Im not sure how useful that is, but it's cute).

Having another iPod and iTunes on your computer, all you gotta do is plug in the new one and put what you want on it. Should be no problem at all.

I think the only hitch people would have is if they have a loaded up iPod and don't have the stuff on their computer. Even then it is still possible, just not as easy.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer
 
miss.potatohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 480

The only way for her to be able to 'text' you would be if the receiver is using an ipod touch/iphone which has the 'imessage' application which most touch's/iphones who have the lastest operating systems have. She will also need to be connected to the internet which would be through wifi as there is no way to have data plans on an ipod touch (so she wouldn't be able to message you if she were at the park etc, and you'd have to have an iphone/ipod touch currently connected to the internet).

I think there may be a few other apps from the itunes store that may allow communication but they will need to be installed on both devices (ie yours and hers) and both connected to the internet for them to work.
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella
 
Kathryn Merteuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,228

You could use Google Voice IF you activate it on an actual phone or cell phone. I have texting on my iPad that way. (I do have an older version, I am assuming it still works).

All would have to be done is to get a Google Voice account and activate it on your phone, then install the GV software on the iPod Touch. Of course you have to have a WIFI connection to use the feature, otherwise it should work.

It works with the older version of Google Voice, no reason it shouldn't still work.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,383

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.potatohead View Post
The only way for her to be able to 'text' you would be if the receiver is using an ipod touch/iphone which has the 'imessage' application which most touch's/iphones who have the lastest operating systems have. She will also need to be connected to the internet which would be through wifi as there is no way to have data plans on an ipod touch (so she wouldn't be able to message you if she were at the park etc, and you'd have to have an iphone/ipod touch currently connected to the internet).

I think there may be a few other apps from the itunes store that may allow communication but they will need to be installed on both devices (ie yours and hers) and both connected to the internet for them to work.
imessage only communicates iDevice to iDevice.

If you want her to go iPod Touch --> any phone, i suggest looking into Google Voice app(Free txt!) Like what miss.potatohead said, iPod Touch requires a wifi source to get online to be able to send imessages or txt messages.
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella
 
Kathryn Merteuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,228

Oh yea, Google Voice is FREE.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
You could use Google Voice IF you activate it on an actual phone or cell phone. I have texting on my iPad that way. (I do have an older version, I am assuming it still works).

All would have to be done is to get a Google Voice account and activate it on your phone, then install the GV software on the iPod Touch. Of course you have to have a WIFI connection to use the feature, otherwise it should work.

It works with the older version of Google Voice, no reason it shouldn't still work.
beat me to it... so... what she said!
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy
 
lovetoscrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Pits of DISpair: AKA- NOT WDW
Posts: 22,763
DISboards Moderator

Both of my girls have a free texting app called Text Plus. When they set it up it gave them a "phone number" and as long as they have wifi they can text to my (non-smart) phone and I can text them back. But they have to have wifi so that can be an issue.

They love it for playing games and listening to music.
__________________
Need help with: PHOTOS, TICKERS, SIGNATURES, AVATARS, FINDING your Posts/Threads, Posting LINKS? Check out the FAQ






SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran
 
Tinijocaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,291

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.potatohead
The only way for her to be able to 'text' you would be if the receiver is using an ipod touch/iphone which has the 'imessage' application which most touch's/iphones who have the lastest operating systems have.
An iPod touch can Text to ANY phone, not just another iPod touch/iPhone. My kids have downloaded texting apps such as Textnow.

Be aware that wih an iPod Touch, your dd will have access to EVERYTHING the Internet has to offer, both good and bad. It has an Internet browser and apps for many stores and websites such a YouTube. Some come with the phone, some are easily downloaded from the App Store.

If you don't want her to have that kind of access, don't let her have your wifi password. She will be able to have wifi access in other places-stores, friend's home, school.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
zoemurr
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,562

we use this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
Both of my girls have a free texting app called Text Plus. When they set it up it gave them a "phone number" and as long as they have wifi they can text to my (non-smart) phone and I can text them back. But they have to have wifi so that can be an issue.

They love it for playing games and listening to music.
DD has a cheap tracfone and texts me at home on my ipod touch through textplus instead of to my phone which would use up minutes. (This is a free app you get from itunes.) The ipod just needs to be somewhere that has wifi. So if she is home she can text constantly and not use up phone minutes. If she is out at school or somewhere w/out wifi it won't work.

You wouldn't need anything special on your phone, and as long as her friends have her textplus "phone number" then they can text her there too from any phone.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.