Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Dining on the cheap :)

I'm a local-ish passholder, so when I eat at WDW it's always OOP. Park food is generally more expensive than what I can get at a drive-thru on the way in or can bring in myself, so I rarely eat at the park restaurants. I am always on the lookout for affordable lunch or dinner options, though. What have you spotted that's a good deal, especially things that are $5 and under? I already know about the ham and cheese croissants at the bakery in France - a great choice at $3 and change - and this thread gave me hope for finding a good-sized portion of mac 'n cheese for a similar price.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Kids meals are enough for me but not for the rest of the family. You can get a great hot dog in Germany. Don't remember the cost. The chicken fried rice at YY counter service is a snack option so it must be under $5. I love it! Prob the fries too. Can't think of any other food under $5 but lots of stuff if you share. I wouldn't expect to get too much under $5.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

The big burger at Pecos Bills and The chicken wrap are huge two ppl can eat those! Its over $5 but will defanitely fill two ppl up plus they will come with fries and the toppings bar!

Earl of sandwhich in DTD the sandwiches are amazing they are $5.95 you can bring your own chips and drink if you like..I did that once on a very budgeted trip..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
I'm a local-ish passholder, so when I eat at WDW it's always OOP. Park food is generally more expensive than what I can get at a drive-thru on the way in or can bring in myself, so I rarely eat at the park restaurants. I am always on the lookout for affordable lunch or dinner options, though. What have you spotted that's a good deal, especially things that are $5 and under? I already know about the ham and cheese croissants at the bakery in France - a great choice at $3 and change - and this thread gave me hope for finding a good-sized portion of mac 'n cheese for a similar price.
Thanks for giving me a challenge and a reason to go peruse the menus (AGAIN).

AK--Jalapeno pretzel at Harambe; Cheesesticks w/marinara at Pizzafari; Fried rice at YaknYeti

HS--Corn dog or nachos at Herbie's; Soup of the day at Rosie's

Epcot--Soup or side salad (maybe both) at Sunshine Seasons; Chinese buns, egg rolls, or curry pockets at Joy of Tea stand; Chilli or chilli cheese fries at Liberty Inn; Potstickers at Lotus Blossom; and (my favorite!) $2.99 sides at Tangieriene.

MK-- Corn dog nuggets at Casey';, Chilli, chowder, or couscous at Columbia Harbor; Chicken noodle soup at Cosmic Ray's; Hummus and chips at Gaston's; Breadsticks, soup or side salad at Pinnochio; Soup at Sleepyhollow.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Quin
DIS Veteran

CS locations list everything as baskets that come with fries or chips or some other side. But you can tell the CM you just want to order the sandwich/entree item only, without the fries, and that takes more than a dollar off the cost.

Plain water to drink, of course, because ice water is free.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I know under $5 is a challenge, and I'm probably one of the few who is very budget-conscious at Disney because I'm never on vacation

Ro Z, have you ever been given a hard time at CS restaurants when ordering from the kid's menu? I've never tried it because they put an age limit on it. I know that's enforced at TS restaurants but am wondering if it's the same way for CS.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

I have never had trouble ordering a kid's meal. Besides, especially at CS, how are they to know who it is for? For all they know, you are just ordering for a kid that is waiting away from the line.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I know under $5 is a challenge, and I'm probably one of the few who is very budget-conscious at Disney because I'm never on vacation

Ro Z, have you ever been given a hard time at CS restaurants when ordering from the kid's menu? I've never tried it because they put an age limit on it. I know that's enforced at TS restaurants but am wondering if it's the same way for CS.
Never had a problem. They don't ask to see the child. LOL I just can't eat that much. DH eats 24/7 so I never have time to get hungry!
I do like a nice sit down dinner so breakfast and lunch are always a kids meal! Or we share.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

Try the chilli at Pecos Bills it counts as a snack credit so must be under $5 you can add cheese from the fixings bar it was a decent size portion and felt like a meal as it was savoury rather than a sweet snack!
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
patriciaofoz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Great post! And hello from a fellow budget-conscious DW visitor

Jotting this all down so we know where to eat whilst doing WDW.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Like you I go and I am not on vacation. I like to pack a lunch myself but sometimes I am looking for a Disney treat. The kids meals are inexpensive and usually enough for me. Sometimes I just do a cookie and milk or ice cream sandwich for a snack - combined with my pack lunch is all I need.

There is a new noodle salad at AK I have been eying in the kiosk that had previously sold only egg rolls. They re-did the menu here and now have a noodle salad -looks like lomain noodles for $6-7, summer roll and edamame - I think for under $5.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Hello!
I just signed up for the earl of sandwich e club.....the welcome email said I would get a coupon on my birthday for a free sandwich (good for 30 days)! So if you are going near your bday you could do that

Interesting thread! Thanks for all the good ideas!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran

We are a local family of 7 and we are always looking for good deals. I recently wrote a blog post about it. http://thefloridafamily.com/2012/08/...eap-at-disney/
Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
rnorwo1
DIS Veteran

I have a small appetite also so love the idea of kids meals... but I do not like burgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. Any places have more decent kids meals?
rnorwo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorwo1 View Post
I have a small appetite also so love the idea of kids meals... but I do not like burgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. Any places have more decent kids meals?
If you'll go over to the Dining Plan sub-forum up above, you'll find a sticky that lists all the Kids' CS meals. Be warned, there's not a lot of variety.

OP: just a quick note to let you know all kids' meals are now $6 or more, so even that is over your $5 limit.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: