Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #31
starshine514
DIS Veteran

There are a few things that make me think of it as a more local park than WDW, one is the shorter listing time for the hours (usually 6 weeks) compared to WDW. Another is requiring people to register in person for AP events. Finally, there are all the folks that you're pretty sure aren't vacationing (I.e. groups of teenagers, women in 4" heels, people obviosly on dates, etc.). DL does have a large group of non-local AP holders (I'm one of them), but a fair amount of locals love Disney as well. I think it really becomes apparent when something new opens and 6 hour waits ensue.

However, I haven't noticed CM attitudes making me feel inferior because I'm not a local. The only thing I've noticed is occassionally seeing them chat with some of their non-CM friends while working.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #32
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I've been to DLR a bunch, since way back in 1963, to a couple times a year now. I've been to WDW once..no one seems to want to go back. I've had great CMs, indifferent CMs robotic CMs and grumpy CMs. I have read a few places that the Disney University that was so lauded for great customer service has been whittled down to a sliver of what it once was, so to me, that is the biggest change from now and then.
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

We went to Disneyland last Sunday as part of a trip out west, and we are frequent DW people...I hadn't been to Disneyland in 40 years. I found everyone working there to be very friendly and helpful and I did ask questions of CM's and security personnel (directions, etc). A highlight for us was the Holiday Haunted Mansion ride--the decor was great!

My only complaint was that in general I did not find Disneyland to be as clean as DW, especially the ladies restrooms. BUT last Sunday was very, very crowded in the park, so perhaps they couldnt keep up with the amount of people.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I think the OP was just trying to stir the pot. And they succeeded.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
I agree.
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #36
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

I 've been to DLR on multiply week long vacations, and I 'be been to WDW on several days trips. I guess I wouldn't conclude much from a day trip, or even a few day trip at one resort vs the other I know so well. I was at MK on a very hot crowded day in August and the bathrooms were very dirty, but I can 't conclude that DW is dirtier than DL generally.

I ve had great CM experiences at DL and I don 't recall any negative experiences at DW either, but since CM are human I would assume heat and crowds affect their attitudes as well. Although our last trip was in the September heat wave and crowds were heavy and the CMs were stellar. I think that when dealing with people most of the time you get what you give.

My DH spent his family vacations in WDW. He didn't 't go to DL until we were married. It was love at first sight for him I will admit that this love is ALL about convience though (no BUSES) and lack of humidity.

We are not locals and have never felt singled out because of it. In fact, staying at the GCH we felt very catered to.
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyjax View Post

Disneyland service sucks! They treat people like crap ...
Funny the same is said about WDW all the time, how the CM's at Disneyland are much friendlier and the WDW CM's are rude.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #38
XTinabell
My Homemade tag!
Has become one of .... THEM!
I feel all tingly inside!

Honestly, I am sure many of us have experienced poor service, unfriendly cm's etc. I know I have several times, and although the number of good experiences I've had far outweigh the bad, it's so hard to forget and let go of those negative experiences.

I agree that often when you are nice the cm's are nice and vice versa. However, I have received very poor service and dealt with rude cm's when I was nothing but pleasant to them, so I can see what the OP is saying. Although I wouldn't say it had anything to do with me not being a local, I don't see how they would know.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #39
mmlover74
Mouseketeer

I have been to both WDW and DL and have not encountered rude CMs. On our last trip to DL, we had very nice CM who gave my son a special treat for free because he was sad and in tears since the ice cream carts were closed. I was going to buy the cupcake anyway, but they chose to do it to put a smile on his face.
mmlover74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #40
bzkds
Mouseketeer

Funny, I was at DLR for 3 days last week and my friend and I were surprised by how many CMs we chatted with who were NOT from Ca! I haven't been to WDW so I can't compare the service, but I have never had a bad experience with a CM from either DLR or DCL or found any of them to be less than friendly and accommodating. Maybe I'm just more easy-going about my expectations?
next up: Disney Wonder 10/4/2015
bzkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #41
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm wondering if perhaps it's not necessarily the CMs that are the difference but the west coast / east coast thing. I'm a lifelong west coast girl and have visited various places on the east coast (as well as midwest, south etc) and each geographic location in our country has a different attitude, feel, culture etc. Perhaps that has to do with the difference between experiences as well.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #42
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsmama View Post

I'm wondering if perhaps it's not necessarily the CMs that are the difference but the west coast / east coast thing. I'm a lifelong west coast girl and have visited various places on the east coast (as well as midwest, south etc) and each geographic location in our country has a different attitude, feel, culture etc. Perhaps that has to do with the difference between experiences as well.
Nah. I'm from the Midwest and been to both parks. Couldn't tell a difference between the two as far as CMs go.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't know about that. MOst responses have just been clarifying what discount CMs might have asked about and stating confusion at WHY she feels this way, since she didn't give examples.

I know she was trying, but I felt that she failed, since it was pretty much just discussion, requests for more info, and just talking about other stuff. Pretty tame, actually. Pot-stirring wants big dramatic reactions, not "huh, odd, what do you mean?" in response.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #44
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

When the OP make outrageous statements like...

Disneyland service sucks! They treat people like crap and cater to locals.

and provides no details nor responds in anyway in the thread to why they feel this way I believe they are just trying to get a reaction out of people.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #45
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Ive had both outstanding and bad service at DL (only park Ive been too). Its not always the same. Usually I have no problems with the service and often it is exceptional, but there have been some bad experiences. But the bad service in my experience is the exception and not close to the norm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: