Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Talking Dinglehoppers and Snarfblats! Sept/Oct TR at AoA ~ NEW Nov13 ~

Hello and welcome to my familys fall trip to a place some of you here may have heard about.. some little place in Florida that we occasionally like to venture to once in a while. This was our seventh trip in as many years&. or as my co-workers would say, Youre going there AGAIN?!.

Why yes. Yes I am.

My oldest son stayed home this time so as not to lose valuable school and co-op time in his last year of high school and yes, the house was still standing when we got home

In a nutshell:
We stayed at the brand spanking new Art of Animation Resort in a standard Little Mermaid section room from September 28th to October 8th. We flew out on Arianas birthday celebrating her Sweet 16! We had a few old favorite ADRs mixed in with some new ones and we went to a Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party.

My Cast of Characters:

DH and I have been married 18 years. Im always looking for the fun and positive in things and have been known to be a little goofy. George is impatient and sarcastic and one of the most generous people I know. Ariana is our Sweet 16 princess & she loves anything pink, watching movies, and dancing. She has autism and when in her favorite place on earth she is free to laugh loudly, jump up and down with excitement and break into a dance. Demetri is our vivacious seven year old &. he loves Lightning McQueen, playing hockey and taking lots of pictures. Hed promised his brother hed take over 300 pictures to show him how much fun he was having and he accomplished that mission by day 4.

Hope you follow along!

Handy Dandy Chapter Links:

~Welcome!~ You're here!

~Arrival Day~ PART 1 and PART 2 and PART 3 and PART 4 and PART 5 and PART 6
~Demetri's Recap of Arrival Day and Disney Trivia~ HERE

~Day 1~
Toys at Play PART 1 and PART 2
I Know What We're Going to Do Today!

Last edited by Mickey_Mom; 11-13-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

In the days leading up to this trip, I was more organized than I'd ever been. I'd already packed just about everything and I had some extra days off work. Kids were still in school, so what's a girl to do? Get her nails done of course.

I also had a pedi and had crystal Mickey heads glued on my big toes.

Car packed and ready to go, once Ariana was home from school I took her out for her nails too.

Goodbyes to Alex and we were on our way to Buffalo! We had an early flight the next morning so we were staying over that night and leaving the van in a park and fly. The hotel we chose, Sleep Inn, was VERY nice and Ariana made herself at home right away.

We had a quick dinner at a nearby restaurant and settled in for the night with a 3:00 am wakeup call for the shuttle.

Breakfast was included with our reservation and the next morning we indulged while awaiting the shuttle. The hotel is minutes away and soon enough we'd reached the Southwest counter. Everything was a breeze at that hour and we amused ourselves by trying to read all the other yellow ME tags that were in line ahead of us.

The flight was nicely uneventful (and pleasant due to my Ginger Gravols taken 30 minutes prior to flight time ) and soon we were on the Minnie-monorail!

I LOVE the Orlando airport

New for us this year was an interactive board the kids paused to play around with a bit.....

....before making our way over to our AoA line!

We waited mere moments before being waved to our ME bus and I was seriously doubting we'd have good seats for an arch picture based on the number of people in front of us.

Yup, back of the bus for us, separated even. Bummer. No arch picture again.

What I did get though was a quick shot out the side of the bus as we passed.

A quick stop at Pop where most of the entire bus emptied....

.... and then we were here!!

Up next..... picture tour to Part of Our World

Last edited by Mickey_Mom; 10-18-2012 at 08:31 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

The lobby was amazing and though we moved straight to the counter through the online checkin line, I couldn't wait to come back and explore it more. Sadly, we never did and I only have a few pictures of this first part.

It was just before 10am and they were struggling to find an available room for us. The only request I'd made was for building 7 but we were tired from our early morning and George was anxious to get settled and grab a quick nap so we were willing to take whatever they offered. The computers weren't showing anything and I was half hoping they'd throw us in a suite but after a quick phone call we had a room. Building 8 here we come!

Stepping out of the main hall and seeing the Big Blue Pool was the moment for me when the excitement really cranked up. I'd read so much about this resort before coming here - we'd actually been booked for this trip at Port Orleans French Quarter but I switched once the different sections started opening up - but pictures do not do it justice, it's amazing!

Turning left at the Big Blue Pool, we started through the Lion King section saying hello to our favorite characters along the way.

Hello Mufasa!

Hello Simba, Pumba and Timon!

Hello Banzai, Shenzi and Ed!

How do you do Scar?

Top of the morning to you Zazu!

Then we'd reached the Little Mermaid section. Building 8 was the last one and our room was on the fourth floor facing the parking lot. The incredible theming continued!

Oh look... a dinglehopper!

A snarfblat!

Demetri said the treasure chest held all of Ariel's thingamabobs.

Prince Eric royally greets you at the end of the walkway.

While Ursula with Flotsam and Jetsam and King Triton with his entourage face off on either side.

You can see all the plantings are new and fit in so well with the area. George noticed a few sections even had crushed shells in them.

Almost there....

Hello Ariel and Flounder! We've made it!

Up to the fourth floor and here was the amazing view from our room.

Oh wait. No, no hold on... the room numbers suddenly jumped up when we went around this corner. Backtrack! Go around the other corner....

Ah, there we are! This was actually our view....

Quiet and close but not too close to the elevators. I'd asked George to time the walk and he said it was around 10 minutes from the main hall right up to our room. Most mornings and evenings Demetri and I would greet each character, though Demetri was reluctant for Scar since he's such a meanie.

Up next..... The room!

Last edited by Mickey_Mom; 10-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

As hard as I'd tried not to look up too many pictures or videos of the resort before the trip - I'd wanted to be surprised! - I caved I knew what the room was going to look like but the kids didn't and they were thrilled!

The table (complete with a bounceback offer ) had the sheet music for Under the Sea on its top and two clam chairs.

The beds were framed with clams and the lights were pearls. Flounder and Sebastian were high-finning between the two and the comforters were a cute under the sea pattern with starfish and coral trim. We took both of them off and used them as a mattress of sorts for Demetri to use. They were a bit stiff but served very well as a comfy 'bed' for him. The under the sea theme carried into the carpeting and the curtain divider that separates the vanity area.

The unit that the TV was on had three small drawers on one side and a mini fridge with a fake front on the other. I thought I'd taken a picture of the fridge but I guess not. The drawers were VERY small so all of our shirts were hung in the closet area.

Over the table was a cute mirror/light and outside of the bathroom was an octopus hanger.

I LOVED this picture of Eric, Max and Scuttle.

The vanity area had a 'sand' sink and a great textured tile floor that carried into the bathroom as well. No shelf but we used baskets to keep the area tidy and the cubby hole to tuck stuff away.

Saving the best for last.... the shower was AMAZING! Ariel is amongst her treasures when the curtain is closed...

.... and the inside is beautiful!

Our tour of the room done, we curled up for a mid morning nap. Our plan for the balance of the day was to cab it to Walmart for some quick shopping, some swimming time and then off to Downtown Disney for dinner.

Most of that actually happened.

Coming up.... closing off arrival day.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Subbing! Will be back later today or this weekend to read. Way behind on the DIS...
Hi Amy!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

I'm here!! I can't wait to read all about your trip. I need to go pick up the boys from school but I'll be back to catch up in a bit!!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

great first few chapters...looking forward to your DTD pics, we were there night as well for dinner...the rain was fantastic that evening.

you got a good picture of the entire courtyard from up there.

we never had a bounceback offer in our roomprobably for the best as we are taking off going next year, and doing more smaller trips instead.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover

Count me in! I loved your tour of the Little Mermaid room. Those look absolutely adorable and the whole resort just looks like a blast!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
I'm here!! I can't wait to read all about your trip. I need to go pick up the boys from school but I'll be back to catch up in a bit!!
Hey Angie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
great first few chapters...looking forward to your DTD pics, we were there night as well for dinner...the rain was fantastic that evening.

you got a good picture of the entire courtyard from up there.

we never had a bounceback offer in our roomprobably for the best as we are taking off going next year, and doing more smaller trips instead.
Hello! Thanks for coming over! I remember the rain that day... yikes did you get stuck in that?

I used that gap over Ariel's head a few times for pictures

The bounceback offer was free dining with an AoA suite or at WL from mid Aug to the end of Sept. Got a shock when George suggested right away booking the WL which put me in an even better than normal mood the rest of the vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_elizabeth View Post
Count me in! I loved your tour of the Little Mermaid room. Those look absolutely adorable and the whole resort just looks like a blast!
Hi! Welcome aboard! AoA's over the top theming and detail is amazing. I'd planned three resort days for this trip and we were looking forward to some exploring time.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
FauntleroyFAN07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post

Hello! Thanks for coming over! I remember the rain that day... yikes did you get stuck in that?
that night somewhat, the next week, we really got stuck in it at DTD
Quote:
The bounceback offer was free dining with an AoA suite or at WL from mid Aug to the end of Sept. Got a shock when George suggested right away booking the WL which put me in an even better than normal mood the rest of the vacation
smart man knows what to say to butter you up a little bit, even if he had not intention of going through with it, he still put it out there. lol

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
smart man knows what to say to butter you up a little bit, even if he had not intention of going through with it, he still put it out there. lol
You are sooooooo correct, that's exactly right.... hmmmm, sounds like you two have met.... not that you would remember each other's names or anything
Old 10-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
FauntleroyFAN07

Quote:
You are sooooooo correct, that's exactly right.... hmmmm, sounds like you two have met.... not that you would remember each other's names or anything
good one.

Blessed by the Best
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Hi!

I'm back and caught up!

Glad you had an uneventful flight! Hmm...we missed the interactive board at the airport. I wonder if it was there in July. It looks very cool!

Sorry about the arch picture. I know how you feel though.....I'm still waiting on that great shot....maybe someday.

Love your Little Mermaid room pics! The details are amazing!!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Hi!

I'm back and caught up!

Glad you had an uneventful flight! Hmm...we missed the interactive board at the airport. I wonder if it was there in July. It looks very cool!

Sorry about the arch picture. I know how you feel though.....I'm still waiting on that great shot....maybe someday.

Love your Little Mermaid room pics! The details are amazing!!
We didn't spend too much time at the board so I'm not sure what all it does... too antsy to get to the ME!

I actually ended up getting a pretty good arch shot later that day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: