Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizfish View Post
In 1/10, they had zebras on all savannahs. They had recently added a species of zebra that would get along with all the other animals so that they didn't have to limit zebras to only Arusha. We were at the very end of the ostrich trail and saw zebras every day as well as giraffes, cattle, ostriches, etc. The zebras did get into scuffles with each other, but not with the other animals. Don't know if AKL has changed back to limiting where the zebras are again.
That's good to know. I haven't been but was basing the info off of several websites that listed certain animals only in certain savannahs. The wdw site I provided above, for example. But since the website has not dates on it, that could have been posted before 01/10...I think it'd be cool to have the zebras everywhere!!!
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizfish View Post
In 1/10, they had zebras on all savannahs. They had recently added a species of zebra that would get along with all the other animals so that they didn't have to limit zebras to only Arusha. We were at the very end of the ostrich trail and saw zebras every day as well as giraffes, cattle, ostriches, etc. The zebras did get into scuffles with each other, but not with the other animals. Don't know if AKL has changed back to limiting where the zebras are again.
The zebra species that I saw on Uzima and Sunset in Dec. 2010, were the Hartman's Mt. zebra and disney was part of a breeding program for these endangered animals -
http://www.themouseforless.com/blog_...kingdom-lodge/
old news re: Hartman's zebras @ AKL http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/b...-lodge.289347/
My recollection is that the Grant's or Plain's zebras were on Arusha.
If you can fit it in, I strongly recomend doing the Wanyama safari early in an AKL stay, it's expensive, but it does include dinner w/ wine pairings @ Jiko - we learned so much about the animals we saw every day on Uzima in Dec. of 2010, plus, of course, the animals on the other 3 savannahs from the safari.
I love the resort and if it weren't for the need to bus everywhere, I'd stay there every time, alas, these days I content myself by eating @ Sanaa, Boma and Jiko while staying elsewhere.

Last edited by sndral; 09-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.
sndral is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Pluto View Post
Oh my goodness, that's too funny! We're checking in on the 21st as well!
Now I'll be wondering which visitors are members of the Disney board lol.

I am, here and there, but I haven't heard of any deals yet!
My DH and I decided to push our trip back a week so now we'll be checking in January 28th and staying through February 2nd!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
My DH and I decided to push our trip back a week so now we'll be checking in January 28th and staying through February 2nd!
You must be excited!
We may still bump into each other unknowingly (unless one of us opts for the lime green Mickey lol!). My boyfriend and I will be there from the morning of January 21st to mid afternoon February 10th! We're going for my birthday and it's my first trip there, needless to say..I can't stop thinking about it!
Baby Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
The zebra species that I saw on Uzima and Sunset in Dec. 2010, were the Hartman's Mt. zebra and disney was part of a breeding program for these endangered animals -
http://www.themouseforless.com/blog_...kingdom-lodge/
old news re: Hartman's zebras @ AKL http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/b...-lodge.289347/
My recollection is that the Grant's or Plain's zebras were on Arusha.
If you can fit it in, I strongly recomend doing the Wanyama safari early in an AKL stay, it's expensive, but it does include dinner w/ wine pairings @ Jiko - we learned so much about the animals we saw every day on Uzima in Dec. of 2010, plus, of course, the animals on the other 3 savannahs from the safari.
I love the resort and if it weren't for the need to bus everywhere, I'd stay there every time, alas, these days I content myself by eating @ Sanaa, Boma and Jiko while staying elsewhere.
Thanks for the information! I'm excited to see all the animals and if something isn't to our liking (though I doubt it would be) I'm sure we could manage to sort it out.
I'll look definitely look into the safari. . . especially now that wine is involved hehe!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You must be excited!
We may still bump into each other unknowingly (unless one of us opts for the lime green Mickey lol!). My boyfriend and I will be there from the morning of January 21st to mid afternoon February 10th! We're going for my birthday and it's my first trip there, needless to say..I can't stop thinking about it!
That sounds like a great first trip - lots of time to explore everything!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
That sounds like a great first trip - lots of time to explore everything!!!!
Thank you, it will be lovely!
You've been to WDW before I assume?
Do you know how much we'll be able to see in about 19/20 days?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you, it will be lovely!
You've been to WDW before I assume?
Do you know how much we'll be able to see in about 19/20 days?
I grew up in the Orlando area as a kid and spent lots of time at the parks/water parks but never at the resorts or restaurants because we'd just be there the day and go home. We moved away from FL when I started high school and over the years have gone back when we went to visit family. It's really just over the last 6 years that I've been going on full-fledge trips to experience the parks, resorts, and restaurants as a "grown up"...if that makes sense!

I think 19-20 days will give you tons of time, especially since it should be a slow season!! We typically go 4 -5 days every other year but are constantly on the go, go, go in that time. So I think 19-20 days will be an amazing amount of time!! That gives you at least 2 days at each of the 4 parks. I'm guessing the water parks will be closed since it gets chilly in January but I honestly don't know if that's true! Then you have Downtown Disney, which I think is probably just a day. And are you going offsite? I think you could easily get in a trip to Universal, Sea World, and Discovery Cove. Plus add in the time to explore AKL and other resorts that you may just want to check out for fun.

If you like golf there's a course and then the spa at GF as well as tea time at GF. Then there's the Walt Disney Speedway...if you or your boyfriend are into that. And there's a behind the scenes tour of the parks (not sure if it's all of them or not) but I don't know much about those.

Lots...lots...lots! Do you have a basic itinerary yet for the time?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

We ate at Sanaa in September and had a great view of zebras, giraffes and wildebeests (?)! Which savannah would that be?
We booked savannah view for two nights in January. Is it possible to get upgraded to Arusha view when we check in?
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
akl, arusha, savannah

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: