Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopynut66 View Post
on the lite up toys have you tried to pretend you bought another one and give that to him? now that would not work with my nephew as he a counter.. counts everything he is also autistic. he also will not keep on a hat or does not want anything over his head. as for people who stare you just have to do what you have to do as it is what it is with your son. and since I found out I had MS several yearas ago and had to start using a EVC I just smile at the rude ones and say a prayer that "they that stare are never in this chair". and then also you will never see those people again. so try and have fun. you might try ice packs for his head if he will leave them on.
We haven't but that's a great idea. Well have to figure out a way to get the CM to play along. There isn't a light up toy on property we don't own 2 order of now. Weird that we were so surprised by how fast the money went!!! Holy buckets!!!! But yes, he is a counter. He has to have 5 band aids on each leg, just because... he has to. No boo boos under them. He just has to have them. And the magic number has been 2 this trip. He has to have 2 of everything with him. It's not enough to know he has one or 2 back in the hotel or even at home. but, we have enough if all things now, we might be able to pull it off.
I wish we could use an umbrella but sadly, he destroyed the last one we tried to do that with. Ice packs. Haven't tried that. It's worth a shot.

I'm so glad you guys understand. It can feel do lonely sometimes as most people just don't, and I don't expect th to. I just wish they wouldn't judge.

Thank you again!!

Oh, PS
I've happily been able to fill out a few fanatic cards already for CMs that went way above and beyond for us when we had big meltdowns. Thank heavens for the CMs.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
By now I might try to murder a phone, but you know what? It is what it is sometimes. Accepting and going from there makes it always a lot easier.

Good luck
HUGS
I'm with you. I'm tapping out these replies on my wittle phone here and it's "fun" . I'm getting to the rest of you guys!! I have to go sit at an outlet to recharge and type.

Hate not having the emoticons at my fingertips on this phone.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In EPCOT, you could go hang out in the Land pavilion a while.

Do you think he would like shows,like the Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, or Country Bear Jamboree? That would be a place to sit out of the sun and heat. Maybe a ride on the Monorail, railroad, or riverboat would be soothing. (I would have suggested the PeopleMover, but I'm not sure if you can get a stroller up there.)

Would it be helpful for everyone to carry a couple of items so there's less stuff to fall off the stroller?
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

Do you think he would like shows,like the Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, or Country Bear Jamboree? That would be a place to sit out of the sun and heat. Maybe a ride on the Monorail, railroad, or riverboat would be soothing. (I would have suggested the PeopleMover, but I'm not sure if you can get a stroller up there.)

Would it be helpful for everyone to carry a couple of items so there's less stuff to fall off the stroller?
That used to be a favorite of ours when our DD was small enough to carry up there - no strollers or wheelchairs can go up there.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #20
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Has he hot a fav clothing? Not helping now perhaps but might be worth turning an exact replica info coolingclothing. Could be light or heavy depending on likes.

Tried loads of swimming yet?

Know what it can be like. Also here, had stroke 2 weekse ago and since out
I'll look into that cooling clothing for later. Thank you!

As for swimming, we stayed at the BCV and he loved the sand and at least sitting in the water. We're at AKV now and he won't leave his stroller. he thought the splash pad at DTD was funny, but again, wanted nothing to do w/ getting wet there. He's so unpredictable w/ water. He can love it or hate it. It's so hard to know, so we just try again and again. He HATES his head getting wet ( makes hair washing fun) , so it's on thing at a time. Sidebar: We did bring dry shampoo this time tho. Haven't tried it yet.

He does like the boats we have discovered. Not a lot of chances to use them , but we're trying to work them in.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
ppony
Artist in residence

Thank Sue.
I completely understand your ooipnt about the sleeping in. This is our 6th night now. We didn't let him drive the bus the first 3 days, it was night4 where he screamed and cried for 3 hours that he wanted to go "buh-buh" that we decided we needed to back off on driving him so hard. It took my DH over an hour to get him to sleep tonight and that's fast for him. He's just a really difficult one on sleep. We can't MAKE him sleep no matter how hard we try or how early we put him "to bed", he sleeps when he sleeps. same deal @ home. It's just maddening. So, we know were getting there later and in more heart, but it's just been how it had to be. Now, omorrow, we have one of our few ADRs, so well be up EARLY and do our best... As always.

We've been using the planning and crowd indicators to drive our park choices. All are green day parks.

Dang this pad.. Can't see the rest of your post. I have to save and edit.... Yes, moved to iPad. It's Daniel's "thing" in fact, we haven't brought it to the parks yet. We were scared to. DH just said he'd be willing to try anything at thus point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I'd suggest you go back to Guest Relations and explain the issues you are having. No one can tell you exactly what will happen at each attraction because each has different things available. It is also possible that an accommodation that is available on one visit to an attraction may not be the next time you return.

If you have a smartphone, there are wait time apps for iPhones and Android. Those can help you to be in the quietest areas with the shortest waits.
Also, visit http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-to-visit.html where you will be able to find cowd planning calendars for the rest of your stay. You want to avoid the 'red' parks as much as possible. Those will be busiest, which increases wait times and also makes it more likely you will encounter more frustrated, upset people who are more likely to react negatively to your child.

There won't be a lot they can do for heat, humidity and sun - most lines are shaded and a lot of your sun/heat exposure will be out of lines anyway.

I noticed you are letting him sleep - but doing that is getting you to the parks at the hottest time when the sun is brightest. The earlier you can get to the park, the shorter the waits will be. Even during Spring break, it's possible to get all the Fantasyland rides done with very short waits - less than 15 minutes.
So, you may be better off going early and not going back.

For light up toys - you could find them anywhere, but the largest concentration will be along parade or night show areas. If you have enough people in your party, you may be able to use some of them as 'human screens'. My DD is drawn to candy and water fountains - she seems to have radar for finding them. The 'human screen' has helped us a lot with that.

As far as refusing to get out of the stroller, if he feels safe there and just feels there is too much stimulation, he may refuse to get out.
Some kids who don't like a stroller canopy might be OK with an umbrella held above them or something they can pull over - like a lightweight towel. The thing they don't like about the canopy is that it seems to stiff and too close.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
kvnchapman
Mouseketeer

A huge variety of snacks helped our little one!! Will he watch movies/shows on an Ipod or other handheld device? We even used movies in the restaurants, if needed. I only know about alternate entrance and stroller as a wheelchair, and those were tremendously helpful. If he won't get out of the stroller, don't force it. Try to relax, ride with DH or older son and USE BABY SWAP. Does he like glow toys, as well? If so, you can get tons of cheap ones as the Dollar Store. And if 2 is the magic number right now, i would just go ahead and buy "pairs" of lots of other items at the Dollar Store that will fit in the palms of his hands. Bring out a special "pair" each day. Does he have any effecive edible reinforcers? Chocolate? Coke? Anything that you can shower on him every time he shows positive behavior or even if he's not showing problem behaviors? Since heat and light up toys are triggers, go EARLY at rope drop, do what you can, use baby swap, fastpasses and your GAC, reinforce as much as you can, maybe head back to AKL for rest and lunch, head back to park around 3-4pm and leave before dusk, thus avoiding the "night time" toys and getting a great night's sleep. If he's struggling with going to bed or staying asleep, try melatonin - it can be purchased at drug stores or groceries. And AKL is wonderful!!! Take turns with DH and have some one-on-one time doing resort activites with your other DS. take care and hugs!!
kvnchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer

I can only say what worked for us with DS2 who is autistic. When younger he always wanted a new DVD, even if he had the same one at home, he wanted that one there and then. We learnt to pick our battles and let him have one each day, the other times we would try to avoid them in shops and use the 'human shield' as another poster has said.

We could only do a couple of hours a day in the parks, we used to try for early morning or later at night. DS is nearly 21 now and has grown out of a lot of his challenging behaviours but still has some issues.

I hope you manage to have a good time.

Caron

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
What about splitting up for some moments? Not perfect by far but that way both of you van do food and wine, eldest can get some special time, both of you have a care"free" moment and son van focus on quite, relaxed, colder options at the resort for instance.
Way ahead of ya. I've been returning to the resort about half of the days w/o my DH & DS(12) and they've returned to a few parks w/o me and Daniel. Great tip!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysprot36 View Post
I can only say what worked for us with DS2 who is autistic. When younger he always wanted a new DVD, even if he had the same one at home, he wanted that one there and then. We learnt to pick our battles and let him have one each day, the other times we would try to avoid them in shops and use the 'human shield' as another poster has said.

We could only do a couple of hours a day in the parks, we used to try for early morning or later at night. DS is nearly 21 now and has grown out of a lot of his challenging behaviours but still has some issues.

I hope you manage to have a good time.

Caron
Thanks!!! I think we're going to have to be more "aware" and see these items before he does and employ this popular "human shield" technique. Two years ago when we were here, he wasn't like this. I guess that's the difference in him between 3 and almost 5.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

The human shield technique works wonders. We use it in every day life as well. My son sees the word PULL on fire alarms and thinks that means he should be pulling them!

Don't be scared to take the iPad to the parks. We wouldn't dare to go without my sons. It has made a world of difference. We can even eat sit down table service meals because he has it. Something we haven't been able to do for years. Plus it is also a comfort of home so to speak. It lets him keep with his routine to a point in the fact he can play his games and surf the web.

I do wish you the best I'd luck

nyrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #27
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

The Land is a good suggestion - also Living Seas. There are a lot of places on the upper level where you can just hang out and watch the fish swimming by.
I would avoid the Innoventions buildings - they are very noisy and echo-y.

A lot of people with autism spectrum disorders really like the monorails and boats and count both of those as their favorite 'attractions' .
From MK, you could ride the monorail to one of the MK resorts, get off there and spend some time just hanging out. Grand Floridian and Contemporary have lounging areas with TVs showing Disney cartoons.
You can also go to the TTC with the monorail or boat.
From Epcot, you could ride the boats to the Boardwalk area resorts or the Studio and back or take the monorail back and forth.
He could stay in the stroller for both monorail and larger boats.

If you have a car, you may want to drive somewhere and get a set of sound deadening earmuffs/earphones and a light blanket ( like a baby receiving blanket) for him. When I see a child 'equipped' like that, I immediately think its a child with ASD making their own 'cocoon of safety'.

For the umbrella suggestion, I should have clarified. I meant for someone walking alongside him holding it do it shades him, not him holding it.

For most of us, sunlight glinting off things is just annoying, but for someone who may already see too much stimulation even in normal light, the sunlight might be painful. Some verbal people with ASD have described sun glints as painfully bright to them and what we see as a line of light that we call a sunbeam, they see as an actual moving beam of light. If he can't tell you, there is no way to know what he sees, but I'd assume that is possible.

Also, keep in mind that many typical kids become overwhelmed and meltdown-y with all the constant stimulation of sights, sounds, smells and feelings in the park. Adding ASD on top of that, the stimulation that might be overwhelming to an average child is going to be completely over the top for him. he is going to have some meltdowns (possibly some of epic proportion).

If he can't speak to you, he is still communicating - meltdowns and refusing to get out of the stroller are communication that what's going on is too much. 'Collecting' light toys may be another way he is trying to add comfort.

Anyway, hope something in the rambling might be useful. Hope you have a quieter rest of your trip.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Based on your comment about green parks, I take you're either using TGM or easywdw, correct? I love those sites. I started with TGM but moved to easywdw because TGM just wasn't up to date. I haven't looked back.

Anyway, I have a reason for bringing this up. When reading these sites, the majority of the people doing their planning do not have special needs. They plan jam packed time in the parks. I can't speak for how others feel but I know it was a huge struggle for me to acknowledge that I needed to plan for only a fraction of what everybody else was planning. My days are significantly shorter. I don't get as much done even during the time that we are in the parks. It's our reality. Sometimes I almost get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong with my planning because I can't fit in even a fraction of what others are fitting in. This is a huge mental block that I had to overcome and still do have to work on with my planning every trip.

In addition, when doing my planning I have to be sure that I stick with our at home schedule. This means we basically don't do nighttime activities. I'm lucky to fit one nighttime things per trip and often don't even do that. It's just what we have to do because my DD HAS to be back in our room at her normal bedtime. Even on our break days (something that I schedule for every 3rd day even though everybody else on the planning sites may do only one in the middle of each trip) we still get up at our normal time and go to bed at our normal time and eat at our normal times. We HAVE to follow our regular schedule. It's not easy to do this. It takes effort. But, it really does make all the difference between a happy day and meltdowns.

Is your son willing to use or even hold one of those misting fans? While he's sitting in the stroller, let him hold one. He then has the control over whether he uses it or not. Fill it with ice then add water. Even if he's not spraying it, he's holding a cold bottle. We bought one several trips ago and just keep bringing it back.

It's not easy. Keep venting. Keep asking questions.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
camper06
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
You are right in that its really hard to be objective when you eyes are filled w/ tears and your stroller is dumping over as you struggle to keep you son from bolting and he's biting, scratching and hitting you and all you feel is eyes on you as you can see a dozen bodies in a circle around you.
You have gotten some great advice here. I do not have any advice, but just wanted to say I am sorry that your trip is not going well. Hoping for better days ahead for you and your family.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #30
kehlyrsmom
Mouseketeer

Does your son have any sensitivity to sound? Both of my kids are on the spectrum and my son has a lot of sensory issues. The first several years we went to WDW he wore the hearing procteting headphones during the whole time we where there. He is 11 now and on our last trip he only wore them during certain rides that were a little loud. Not sure how long you still have for your trip but I would try to get him there at rope drop back to the room mid-day for a break and back late afternoon early evening.
SSR - Sept 2007, Sept 2009, May 2012, Dec 2013
ASMU - Sept 2008
POFQ - May 2010, Sept 2012, Sept 2013
POP - Sept 2010, Sept 2011
BWV - May 2012
AKL - Dec 2012
BCV - May 2013, May 2014
OKW - Aug 2014

Me DH DD14 DS12
kehlyrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: