Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

Moderate Hotel suggestions

Hello! Im less then 2 weeks away from heading off to Disney for my first trip since, I believe 1994. Heading back for my 30th anniversary on this great Earth of ours! I'm already thinking of heading down again. We're staying at All-Star Movies this time(mostly because this trip was book very last minute and we didn't have time to save) but I'm thinking about upgrading to a moderate hotel for my next time as I'll have the time to plan and save. Any suggestions on what is the best moderate hotel? Im thinking of going in early September in either 2013 or 2014.

Also a question about booking, if I book online via Disney is payment all at once or can it be done in installments? Can I book my room by itself then add in park tickets and dining whenever I have the money saved up?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We have only stayed at one mod (CBR) and loved it. The atmosphere was beautiful, the food court had alot of variety, the pool was great, and the bus transportation was awesome. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I would choose the one that theme/decor appeals to you the most.

As far as booking, a package requires a $200 deposit with the balance due 45 days prior to arrival and a room only reservation requires a deposit of 1 night's room rate + tax, with the balance due at check in. One thing to keep in mind, though, is if you book room only now and switch to a package later, the room only will have to be cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit (or payment in full if done 45 days or less prior to arrival), as money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. Also, you can make payments for both packages and room only reservations. Payments for a package can be made online or by calling, but to make payments for a room only reservation, you have to call.

HTH .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates. However they each have their plus and minus. If you like spending time at DTD and would like to take advantage of WDW transportation, then stay at POR or POFQ since both locations offer a boat ride to DTD. CSR and CBR are similar in size and lay-out. CSR caters to conventioneers, so it has a few more amenities than any of the other mods, including a disco, a work out facility and a spa. CBR is the only mod that doesn't offer queen beds, as currently they still have the double beds. Maybe one of the themes, will help you decide. POR offers the new Royal Rooms (priced higher). Again, you can enjoy a stay at any of the mods - if it were me, my choice would be CSR or POR.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

If you are planing on getting a package, it's best to book it as a package to avoid the whole cancel and refund thing.
We book and then make monthly payments. I usually divide my total by how many months I have to pay it off, and make that my monthly payment.

Since you'll be there why not take some time aqnd explore the mods to see which one you like?
We did that. It was between POR and CSR for the following trip, so we walked around both then booked the one we liked best. We picked POR. Since then we've stayed there 3 times and love it.

I just think POR has a little more to offer with boat to DTD, Evening entertainment in the lounge, Horse & Carriage rides, a marina- you can rent boats and go along the river all the way to DTD. Beautiful landscaping. We prefer the Mansion section.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
As far as booking, a package requires a $200 deposit with the balance due 45 days prior to arrival and a room only reservation requires a deposit of 1 night's room rate + tax, with the balance due at check in. One thing to keep in mind, though, is if you book room only now and switch to a package later, the room only will have to be cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit (or payment in full if done 45 days or less prior to arrival), as money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. Also, you can make payments for both packages and room only reservations. Payments for a package can be made online or by calling, but to make payments for a room only reservation, you have to call.

HTH .
thanks for that info! I think I'll definitely be booking a package once I pick my dates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinglizzie View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates. However they each have their plus and minus. If you like spending time at DTD and would like to take advantage of WDW transportation, then stay at POR or POFQ since both locations offer a boat ride to DTD. CSR and CBR are similar in size and lay-out. CSR caters to conventioneers, so it has a few more amenities than any of the other mods, including a disco, a work out facility and a spa. CBR is the only mod that doesn't offer queen beds, as currently they still have the double beds. Maybe one of the themes, will help you decide. POR offers the new Royal Rooms (priced higher). Again, you can enjoy a stay at any of the mods - if it were me, my choice would be CSR or POR.
When I was first thinking about going I did price POR. I have a fascination with New Orleans (too much watching of "The Big Easy" I guess haha!). I wasn't sure it was worth the cost since at the time I was going alone but my mom is going and she split with me which would've helped if I'd know that at the time but I'm to have someone along to share the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Since you'll be there why not take some time aqnd explore the mods to see which one you like?
We did that. It was between POR and CSR for the following trip, so we walked around both then booked the one we liked best. We picked POR. Since then we've stayed there 3 times and love it.

I just think POR has a little more to offer with boat to DTD, Evening entertainment in the lounge, Horse & Carriage rides, a marina- you can rent boats and go along the river all the way to DTD. Beautiful landscaping. We prefer the Mansion section.
Yes, I will definitely check them all out in person. I thought of that after I hit post. I'll make the effort to make little side trips to each of them and maybe have a meal at them after a day at the nearby parks or, in the case of POR and POFQ, after a night at DTD.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm looking forward to my upcoming trip and hopefully there won't be as much time between my visits.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: