Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #1126
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

The turtle presentation sounds really cool, even if you didn't get to see any turtles!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1127
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
If I was playing I would guess 2 Judy's
That sounds an awful lot like playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I am playing and say 2 Judy's. One at the spa and another in the state park room.
Correct! Based on a technicality, the Rules Committee is awarding you both 1 point.

Updated scores:
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Pat - 4 Judy-sighting wins
Rosie - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Marvin - 5 Judy-sighting wins, 3 Eagle Eye points
Kelly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Mark - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Dan - 1 Eagle Eye point
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
Dee - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Katharina - 2 Judy-sighting wins
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #1128
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Women in their natural habitat..............

Ouch, you are going to get some fun remarks on that one!!!
You're not the only one who knows how to

Although you are the undisputed master!

Quote:
What are the "etchings" in the sea wall in the turtle's nest picture???
I think it was just sand "grafitti". "Kilroy was here", that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
well even if you didnt see them sounds like you still had some really good information that you learned.

thanks for sharing with us.
Yeah, not the perfect night, but the presentation was very informative, and worth the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
i knew that not many of them made it back to see, but didnt realize the number was that low...
I googled it tonight (that's always a good idea....do it after posting) and I see a couple of sites that have an estimate of 1 in 4,000 don't make it to maturity. I'm thinking the 1 in 1,000 that I heard in the presentation may have just been the baby sea turtles making it out to the seaweed in the Sargasso Sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Great update!
Thank you Miss Liz!

Quote:
We just recently watched a show on tv that showed baby sea turtles making their way out of the nest and to the ocean. The seagulls were swarming and grabbing the babies. It was so disturbing to me! I kept yelling at the little guys on the screen to hurry up. I can believe 1 in 1000.
Oh man, too much "Mine! Mine! Mine!". But "circle of life" I guess.

Quote:
Sorry you didn't get to see any turtles on the first beach walk. Hopefully you won the lottery and were able to see some later.
Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
The turtle presentation sounds really cool, even if you didn't get to see any turtles!
It was really informative, I always like to learn something new.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #1129
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

The Shark Tooth necklaces were very cute , they did a GREAT job on them !!I took some similar pix in Pop's foodcourt, almost the same stuff
I heard from Jordan , the letter was waiting when I got home . He is working fo Pure Life Ministries , sounds like he's a Travel Agent /planner for them and seems to be very happy and at peace.. I am sooo happy for him!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #1130
PrincePluto
Disneyholic

Glen, I enjoyed your turtle walk story. Too bad you didn't get to see any turtles. Speaking of turtles (Terrapins, actually), have you ever been to the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, New Jersey? I believe it's less than 75 miles from where you live... They have a very interesting Diamondback Terrapin conservation effort and exhibits, as well as lots of marsh trails and an observation tower for bird watching.

From Freezing to Sweating on a Daily Basis - A December 2013 Trip Report (Finished)

A 2010 Semi-Solo Trip Report (Retrospective) **IN PROGRESS**

February 1978 (Fort Wilderness), June 1992 (Off-Site), May 1997 (Off-Site), May 1999 (Off-Site), October 2008 (Off-Site timeshare), November 2009 (Off-Site timeshare), October 2010 (Off-Site timeshare (same one as 2008)), July 2013 (Off-Site timeshare (same one as 2008 and 2010)), December 2013 (Same timeshare as July 2013)
PrincePluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #1131
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
So, gentlemen, get ready. This is something that we don’t normally see…women, in their natural habitat:

Yeah, not all that exciting really.
Wow, we totally got the better end of the deal with sports bars.

Quote:
Would the walk be cancelled due to rain? Would we have to break out our park ponchos before even getting to Disney World? Are mama turtles persnickety about the weather when they’re in an egg-laying mood?
And why is this disembodied voice asking so many questions?

Quote:
It’s always fun to make them at just the point where the highest waves reach, to see if you can build them to survive the occasional flood.
Agreed. And you usually end up building a complicated moat-and-wall defense system.

Quote:
Anyway, my hat’s off to the maintenance guy and I’m sorry that I didn’t get his name for the trip report.
It was Maryann.

Quote:
The place was quaint, even if not much to look at (ie. state-funded!).
Just like me. And I'm also state-funded.

Quote:
(You can cue the ominous music, but it won’t be necessary. )
It's A Small World?

Quote:
We also learned that only about 1 in 1,000 baby sea turtles make it to adulthood. (If my memory is correct.) When the eggs hatch, the little dudes essentially have to “run the gauntlet” to get to safety, 20+ miles out in the Atlantic, in the seaweed of the Sargasso Sea (much of which we’d seen washed up on shore back at the resort!). They have to get past animal predators, obviously, but they may also have to deal with things as simple as lights that confuse them and draw them inland rather than out to sea, or tire tracks in the sand with ruts too big for the little dudes to crawl over, and litter impeding their path to the ocean.
Man. And here I thought junior high school was tough.

Quote:
Also, the sex of the turtle is determined by where the egg is in the nest, high or low. So, remember that, any of you would-be parents, trying for a boy, or girl.
I thought it had something to do with coffee on the verandah.

Quote:
Judy asked me if I’d brought the night vision goggles that she’d gotten me for Christmas. Doh! It never occurred to me, since I was thinking of them for animal viewing at Kidani.
*smacks forehead*

Quote:
The ranger asked if anyone wanted to walk north along the beach, area that we hadn’t covered yet. Most of us did, including my family of course, but a couple of families decided that they’d had enough, including one poor dad who was carrying a little boy who was fast asleep, draped over his shoulder.

So we walked north for 10 or 15 minutes more before turning back again. No luck. We’d struck out. It turned out that we were in fact, just traipsing up and down the beach in the dark.
That stinks. Hope you did get another shot.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #1132
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
The Shark Tooth necklaces were very cute , they did a GREAT job on them !!
Thanks Rosie.

Quote:
I took some similar pix in Pop's foodcourt, almost the same stuff
I believe it. But I wanted to take some pictures for all the DISers who want to know what they can expect when they get there. They like to plan ahead, you know.

Quote:
I heard from Jordan , the letter was waiting when I got home . He is working fo Pure Life Ministries , sounds like he's a Travel Agent /planner for them and seems to be very happy and at peace.. I am sooo happy for him!!
I got a letter from him also. It sounds like he’s doing well. I wish we could see him around the boards sometimes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePluto View Post
Glen, I enjoyed your turtle walk story. Too bad you didn't get to see any turtles.
It was still a nice evening, but a major bummer that we didn’t have any turtle sighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePluto View Post
Speaking of turtles (Terrapins, actually), have you ever been to the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, New Jersey? I believe it's less than 75 miles from where you live... They have a very interesting Diamondback Terrapin conservation effort and exhibits, as well as lots of marsh trails and an observation tower for bird watching.
No, never been there. Sounds like a nice place though. “Terrapins” always makes me think of the Univ. of Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Wow, we totally got the better end of the deal with sports bars.
Didn’t we? No one comes around and says “here, stick your feet in this bucket”.

Quote:
And why is this disembodied voice asking so many questions?
But at least it was asking questions…..when a disembodied voice starts telling you things, that’s when you get put in a straight jacket. Or so I hear.

Quote:
Agreed. And you usually end up building a complicated moat-and-wall defense system.
How did you know?! That’s amazing. You’re like Dittelman.

Quote:
It was Maryann.
She almost fooled me with that fake nose and glasses.

Quote:
Just like me. And I'm also state-funded.
So you’ve got that going for you.

Quote:
It's A Small World?
I can’t believe you just said that.

Quote:
Man. And here I thought junior high school was tough.
I imagine you had a rough time.

Quote:
I thought it had something to do with coffee on the verandah.
In one of the slides, one turtle had a Vero Beach coffee mug and the other turtle was smoking a cigarette. I had no idea what it meant.

Quote:
That stinks. Hope you did get another shot.
Keep your fingers crossed, but in a historical sense.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #1133
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Our natural habitat? If we were in our "natural habitat" according to you men, we'd be in the kitchen cooking, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, bringing you your slippers, etc. Seriously, love my pedicures...it is my time to relax and be pampered since most of you men don't take care of that for us.

Great update; but so sorry that you guys didn't get to see the nesting turtles. I'm sure the kids were disappointed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you had a chance with the lottery to go back.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1134
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Well, at least you got to learn some interesting stuff about turtles and get some exercise. It is a shame that you weren't able to see any turtles nesting.

I hope you won the turtle lottery...
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #1135
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Another great update shame about the turtles, but that's how it goes with nature I guess at least you got the presentation I suppose. And those turtles do have it tough! I don't envy them, but I guess once they grow they have a better shot.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #1136
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Our natural habitat?
You know I was just trying to get a rise out of you.

Quote:
If we were in our "natural habitat" according to you men, we'd be in the kitchen cooking, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, bringing you your slippers, etc.
Well we do like it when you do those things....can't deny that.

Quote:
Seriously, love my pedicures...it is my time to relax and be pampered since most of you men don't take care of that for us.
A well-deserved pampering, I'm sure. And you're right, I'm not really willing to work on somebody's feet, so the women in my life will have to go elsewhere for that! The big toenail clippers're all I need!

Quote:
Great update; but so sorry that you guys didn't get to see the nesting turtles. I'm sure the kids were disappointed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you had a chance with the lottery to go back.
The kids were reaallly disappointed! Keep that pixie dust flowin' for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Well, at least you got to learn some interesting stuff about turtles and get some exercise. It is a shame that you weren't able to see any turtles nesting.
It was very informative, and it is kind of neat to walk along the beach without any lights other than the moon and stars...but discouraging when you're hoping to see a big turtle in the surf and one never appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I hope you won the turtle lottery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Another great update shame about the turtles, but that's how it goes with nature I guess at least you got the presentation I suppose.
I pre-registered, but the turtles didn't! You can't pin-down nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
And those turtles do have it tough! I don't envy them, but I guess once they grow they have a better shot.
♪ ♪ ♫ "It's the ciiiircle of life...." ♪ ♪ ♫

I think it's time for another Far Side cartoon:

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #1137
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Hey guys! I know I haven't been doing a great job of catching up, but I just want to let you all know that I started my PTR. The link is in my signature. Toodles!
YukiPhnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #1138
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiPhnx
Hey guys! I know I haven't been doing a great job of catching up, but I just want to let you all know that I started my PTR. The link is in my signature. Toodles!
Thanks Yuki! I signed on.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #1139
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Finally Back and all caught up. I should be home for a while now .... no more scheduled travelling for at least a couple of months.

Add me to the list of fingers crossed for a lottery pick.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 10-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1140
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the chapter links for your report- I really love reading all the comments from your readers- some of the wittiest around- but it has been a long, rough, busy couple of weeks, and sometimes "cheating" is the only way.

I totally get taking the pictures in the gift shop. Whenever I am on a trip somewhere I find myself in "Disney" mode and take pictures of everything thinking someone, somewhere out there may need the info from the photos.

The shark necklaces your kids made were really cool. It is good that they have a lot of fun activities to choose from, especially when the weather is less than ideal!

Sorry that you didn't see any sea turtles during your walk, but it seems like it was still worthwhile.

"Ah, now eventually you do plan to have sea turtles on your, on your sea turtle tour, right? Hello?"

Hope that your family was successful in the

natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: