Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
milmore104
My DH is "Dusty Boots"

BW or AKL???

I can't decide which resort to pick. I'm surprising my family with a trip to WDW in Feb. We have stayed at AKL before. And just stayed at BC in April. Have never stayed at BW but LOVED the location of the EPCOT resort area and the ease of walking to the 2 parks. My DH absolutely LOVES AKL and would pick that resort over anything anytime! But my DD would like BW as would I.
Which would you choose and why? Thanks

Some info about us... We will be traveling 2/22-3/2. My brother and his family will be traveling w/ us but they are staying at POFQ.
We are a family of 5... My DH and I, our 3 DD's 12,3,2. Yes we will have a double stroller (which is why I'm leaning toward BW).
We are mostly park people. We do enjoy a rest day and a rest morning but for the most park we are up in the morning and off to the parks. We don't return mid day for naps. However we do sometimes return early evening for swimming.

milmore104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We have never stayed at BWI but have visited many times and that is one resort we want to try. Since you've already stayed at AKL, I would give BWI a try. The rooms at BWI are larger than at AKL and I think all BWI rooms come with a daybed. We didn't have any trouble with the bus transportation at AKL, but you can't beat the location of BWI and being within walking distance to both Epcot and DHS. Good luck deciding .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and we like both, but definitely prefer BWI. Our boys are ages 13, 12 and 5, so we don't bring a stroller, but the words "double stroller" in your post made me vote for BWI right away!

Here are my thoughts regarding both:

AKL

1) Pool. As you know, both AKL and Kidani have great pools and they are wonderful with little ones. But pool time for your dates is hit or miss - could be toasty warm weather, but maybe not.

2) Theme. I'm not a fan of animals, but I love the lobby at AKL. The theme is so well done.

3) Dining. Sanaa and Jiko are two of my favorite restaurants - wish I could get to them more, but we're not likely to stay at AKL again soon and it's a bit of a hike to get there just for dinner. I'm not a fan of Mara, but it would be more convenient with tiny kids to have that available.

4) Quiet. If you're looking for a true retreat from the parks, as you know, this can be it!

BWI

1) Location and Transportation! This is a huge factor for us. For us, the ability to walk to two parks just can't be beat. There's nothing like strolling out the international gateway and back to your room after dinner, and it's so much better than waiting for a bus. We don't drive at Disney, but really like to reduce our reliance on the buses, so BWI/BC/YC are perfect for us.

2) Dining. Even though AKL has great dining options, we feel BWI has more great dining options! All the Epcot resort restaurants and all the World Showcase restaurants are there within walking distance. Makes it easy to spend the morning in MK, DHS or AK, come back in the afternoon for a break and then go to dinner in Epcot. Love it!

3) Rooms. I love the light, bright, airy decor and the white comforters. I really miss those when staying at Poly or AKL.

4) Views! I absolutely love the Boardwalk View at BWI. As I mentioned, I'm not a big animal fan. But I do love a nice water view, and BWI has it.

5) Fun! My husband and our kids love the energy of the Boardwalk Area and the ability to walk around Crescent Lake and visit other resorts. Other than separate pools, it's like having multiple resorts in one because we can shop, eat and walk around at all the Epcot area resorts. Helps us to take more breaks from the parks, but still have things to do, and that makes my husband happy!

Good luck with your decision!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Dani C
DIS Veteran

I too have stayed at both. Honestly, aside from the location of BWI being fabulous, I would choose AKL on all other counts.

Dani C is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: