Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #181
MerissaAndMomLoveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Just curious if anyone knows if the hotel pools are open in December/January in Houston/Galveston areas.

We have never been to Texas before so just not sure.

Tangoqueen, thanks for that info! Really helpful. I am so used to sailing out of Orlando/Port Canaveral this is all new to me!

Thanks
Not January, but I stayed at the San Luis in Galveston in February 2012. The pool is heated, but the winds off the gulf can be strong. My 11 year old did swim, but she was shivering on the walk between the pool and indoors. The hotel had placed outdoor heat towers around the outdoor seating areas. There is a really nice outdoor bar near the pool where I sat and stayed warm while she swam.
Disneyworld: Offsite Feb 2003, Feb 2004, June 2006 & Aug 2007; ASMu Nov 2008; Pop Century/Offsite/AKL May/June 2009; AsMu/Ft. Wilderness Cabins Nov 2009; Pop/ASSp June 2010; ASMov/Offsite May/June 2011; POFQ/Disney Dream March 2012; Offsite Nov 2012; Disney Magic from Galveston May 2013
MerissaAndMomLoveDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #182
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick

When I checked for the Thanksgiving cruise, you had to book the park and cruise package which was more expensive. It was not really FREE. It was around $40 more. Same for the Tremont House and the San Luis. There is also limited availability for these packages. The Tremont and San Luis did not have any availability when I checked for my cruise.

There are other hotels on the island that do offer FREE parking and shuttle. I ended up booking the Holiday Inn which is right next to the San Luis. It has the free parking and shuttle. I called and confirm this with the front desk before I booked online. We are getting in late the night before the cruise, so we just really need a couple of beds and nothing too fancy.
Well it is well worth that $40 for BOTH 6 nights of parking AND transfers to and from the ship... For 2 people! Add that all up separately, definitely a bargain, especially at the Hotel Galvez.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #183
MerissaAndMomLoveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliesmommy View Post
2711 61st Street, Galveston TX
409-744-6327
Open Monday - Saturday from 10AM till 9PM

Just FYI for out-of-staters...you cannot buy hard liquor in Texas on Sunday (after midnight on Sat). You cannot buy beer and wine on Sunday until after 12 noon on Sunday.
Disneyworld: Offsite Feb 2003, Feb 2004, June 2006 & Aug 2007; ASMu Nov 2008; Pop Century/Offsite/AKL May/June 2009; AsMu/Ft. Wilderness Cabins Nov 2009; Pop/ASSp June 2010; ASMov/Offsite May/June 2011; POFQ/Disney Dream March 2012; Offsite Nov 2012; Disney Magic from Galveston May 2013
MerissaAndMomLoveDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #184
Family Magic Travel
Earning My Ears

Confused

Ok, I'm going on my very first cruise EVER next month and it will be out of Galveston. If I fly into Houston, will the DCL transfer us a day early, or only the day of our cruise?

Thanks!

www.familymagictravel.com

Family Magic Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #185
darrenwatson66
Mouseketeer

Economy Liquor Store close to the Galvez

Wanted to purchase some liquor before boarding Saturday morning before we board our cruise. Does anyone know what time they open on Sat morning? Thank you!!
darrenwatson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #186
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenwatson66 View Post
Wanted to purchase some liquor before boarding Saturday morning before we board our cruise. Does anyone know what time they open on Sat morning? Thank you!!
I believe the liquor stores don't open until 10:00 am.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #187
darrenwatson66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess aleya View Post
I believe the liquor stores don't open until 10:00 am.
Great! Thank you!! I am glad we can hit it before going to the port! Thanks again!
darrenwatson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #188
Pocahantas
Dreams do come true - I'm now a DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick View Post
When I checked for the Thanksgiving cruise, you had to book the park and cruise package which was more expensive. It was not really FREE. It was around $40 more. Same for the Tremont House and the San Luis. There is also limited availability for these packages. The Tremont and San Luis did not have any availability when I checked for my cruise.

There are other hotels on the island that do offer FREE parking and shuttle. I ended up booking the Holiday Inn which is right next to the San Luis. It has the free parking and shuttle. I called and confirm this with the front desk before I booked online. We are getting in late the night before the cruise, so we just really need a couple of beds and nothing too fancy.
Thanks for the tip on the Holiday Inn. I was able to book the same one you did for alot less than the Galvez! We won't be in the room except to sleep so it will work just fine.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]12/02 CR; 2/04 CR ; 5/05 Pop/BCV/AKL; 10/05 POFQ/BCV; 2/06 VWL; 5/06 BWV; 12/06 POR/BCV/WL; 6/07 SSR/BCV; 10/07 BCV; 12/07 POFQ/BCV; 5/08 DCL/Vero; 2/09 BWV; 6/09 BCV; 9/09 AKL/DCL/BC; 5/10 BLT/Poly; 3/11 BCV/BLT; 6/11 DCL-Alaska; 6/12 DCL Bahamas Double Dip; 2/13 DCL W.Carib; 6/13 BCV; 10/13 BCV; 3/14 VGF; 6/14 - VGC; 10/14 DCL-Southern Carib Next Up: 6/15 - Aulani
Pocahantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #189
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Updated the parking info with a new discount code!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #190
skypixy
Mouseketeer

Gina, do you know of anyplace in Galveston that delivers "bon voyage" baskets to staterooms?
Trying to find someone like Shirley at The Perfect Gift in Port Canaveral. She is excellent! I would love to have some special gifts waiting for my parents & kids for our 12/21 Christmas cruise. Don't really need to order from the $$ DCL choices.
Thanks for your help!

Me DH DS14 DS10

Skypixy
skypixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #191
JenniferC
Earning My Ears

I need some advice from someone from the Galveston area. We are flying out of Hobby early the next morning after our cruise. I would like to stay somewhere safe close to Hobby airport. Is Clear Lake area okay? Thanks in advance.
JenniferC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #192
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypixy View Post
Gina, do you know of anyplace in Galveston that delivers "bon voyage" baskets to staterooms?
Trying to find someone like Shirley at The Perfect Gift in Port Canaveral. She is excellent! I would love to have some special gifts waiting for my parents & kids for our 12/21 Christmas cruise. Don't really need to order from the $$ DCL choices.
Thanks for your help!

I haven't heard of anyone... at least, haven't seen any advertisements in any of the Galveston magazines I read. Like rental cars, though, it's sure seems like a business someone would be smart to expand there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferC View Post
I need some advice from someone from the Galveston area. We are flying out of Hobby early the next morning after our cruise. I would like to stay somewhere safe close to Hobby airport. Is Clear Lake area okay? Thanks in advance.

Clear Lake is great, as is the entire Bay Area.
Here are a couple sites that should help:

http://www.visitbayareahouston.com/index.cfm
http://www.clearlaketoday.com/cdps/hotelsguide.cfm
http://www.clearlakearea.com/directory.asp

Hope this helps!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #193
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferC View Post
Clear Lake area and some of the Bay area are nice. Lots of shopping and NASA nearby.
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #194
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Galveston Magic May 10th, 2013 8-night (Castaway Cay/WDW/Key West)

I'll admit that I've not read all the pages of this thread yet, but have some questions:

What do I need to know about sailing from Galveston?
Should we consider the airport hotel or one in Galveston if arriving the day before our embarkation date? (We're accustomed to staying overnight at the MCO Hyatt.) Still not comfy arriving the day of our embarkation.
Is there a clever (cheap) way to get from IAH to Galveston hotels?
Should I give up and book air and hotel through Disney?

Thanks for your thoughts, experiences welcomed.

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #195
ilovebassets
Animal Kingdom fanatic!

Flight home

We are booked on the magic from march 1-9. Trying to book a flight home out of hobby. We will be usi Disney transports. Will we be safe with a 12:40 flight or book he later one at 3:50? We will have a baby and two year old with us so dread waiting around the airport unnecessarily
But obviously don't want to miss the flight. Called Disney and they recommend after 1:30 but that seems awfully late.
Jan 2016 - Southern Caribbean on the Wonder
ilovebassets is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: