Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Just got beck from DL and I long for WDW again!

JUST got home yesterday from a trip with the family to DL.

I've been to both parks many times, and every time I go to DL I always miss WDW. I just think WDW is so much better because of the size and the amount to do. I could spend weeks at WDW whereas I get a bit tired of DL after 5+ days. I just like it better... the size of the castle, the four different parks, the hotels to explore, the better monorail and Downtown Disney shops.... there is a lot to why it's better.

So the question is, when should I go (lowest possible crowds), when can I book for it, and what are the current discounts? I'm just excited to get planning again and I need something to jumpstart me!

Anyone here been to Aulani yet? Should we go there and try it or just go to WDW? Or go on our first Disney Cruise? Maybe we should combine a cruise + a park stay? I don't know what to do!

Ethan

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited by ethanwa; 10-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

I think the best month to go is September. It is hot but the queues are really short. We did not queue more than 10 - 15 mins last year for anything except for TSM. It is hurricane season but this rarely affects the park although inclement weather can close the water parks.
You can book for September 2013 now. Not sure what discounts are available but free dining if often offered. Go the first or second week after Labour day when crowds are at there lowest. You may also be able to catch MNSSHP.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Any true Disney fan should make at least one trip to DLR. While WDW is our "home resort", we would love to make a return trip to Anaheim. It's been 15 years since our last trip there.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
Any true Disney fan should make at least one trip to DLR. While WDW is our "home resort", we would love to make a return trip to Anaheim. It's been 15 years since our last trip there.
I agree, but my opinion is that if you are a WDW person who has never been to DL, you will most likely be disappointed in DL when you compare it. I think the castle size is the biggest shocker. DL rides are generally better than MK (Pirates and A Small World are perfect examples of being HANDS DOWN better at DL thank MK), and DCA has a bunch of different things to offer (Paradise Pier and Cars Land are two must-see areas), but I don't think DL is going to sway any long-time WDW fans away permanently.

Ethan

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Magalex
DIS Veteran

We are planning our first trip to DL for July 2013. We are so excited. We also have never been to California & we usually skip a year at WDW. So the next best thing is DL(probably once in a lifetime trip). So we going in with the mindset we usually go to a different tourist destination anyways. But I am sure we will it We will be back at WDW for June 2014 & then a small trip in June 2015 with extended family
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
MinnieMama09
Mouseketeer

It's fun to hear the opposite perspective...as we have only been to DL (just moved to the east coast) and now planning our first trip to WDW in January. So excited, but not sure what to expect considering how much we LOVE DL! We are thinking the kids will love MK since it is most like what we are used too. Overwhelmed to say the least!
MinnieMama09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We live a few hours from DLR but prefer the total immersion we get at WDW. All of our DVC points are in Florida. DLR is a great 2-3 day mini vacation but not a week.

We just returned from Aulani. I went with a negative attitude because the Ritz Carlton on Maui is my favorite resort in the world but I must say Disney got it right with Aulani. I think we may return to Aulani next year rather than going to WDW.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
I agree, but my opinion is that if you are a WDW person who has never been to DL, you will most likely be disappointed in DL when you compare it. I think the castle size is the biggest shocker. DL rides are generally better than MK (Pirates and A Small World are perfect examples of being HANDS DOWN better at DL thank MK), and DCA has a bunch of different things to offer (Paradise Pier and Cars Land are two must-see areas), but I don't think DL is going to sway any long-time WDW fans away permanently.

Ethan
This long time WDW fan has been swayed. I had many WDW trips before my first DL trip in 2006. I have since gone DL 4 or 5 times and love it more everytime. Just got back a week ago from 6 nights at VGC and 1 night at PP (we stayed an extra night for the first Halloween party). Great trip, we spent most of our time at DCA in Carsland, it's really awesome. It's nice to be able to walk everywhere, not having to worry about waiting on busses.

I don't have an issue with the size of the castle. I think Sleeping Beauty Castle is "quaint". If you stand in front of it, you realize that they could not make it bigger because of the smaller land space they have, it would have been out of proportion. I feel immersed in the history.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
This long time WDW fan has been swayed. I had many WDW trips before my first DL trip in 2006. I have since gone DL 4 or 5 times and love it more everytime. Just got back a week ago from 6 nights at VGC and 1 night at PP (we stayed an extra night for the first Halloween party). Great trip, we spent most of our time at DCA in Carsland, it's really awesome. It's nice to be able to walk everywhere, not having to worry about waiting on busses.

I don't have an issue with the size of the castle. I think Sleeping Beauty Castle is "quaint". If you stand in front of it, you realize that they could not make it bigger because of the smaller land space they have, it would have been out of proportion. I feel immersed in the history.
I totally agree! Can't wait to experience DL's Pirates and Space Mountain again.

mouselike-harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMama09 View Post
It's fun to hear the opposite perspective...as we have only been to DL (just moved to the east coast) and now planning our first trip to WDW in January. So excited, but not sure what to expect considering how much we LOVE DL! We are thinking the kids will love MK since it is most like what we are used too. Overwhelmed to say the least!
My wife and I are frequent DL visitors and have been since we were dating. We finally made our first trip to WDW in 2007 for our honeymoon, and were very impressed with WDW. The shear size and amount of things to see is incredible. What surprised us though was that MK wasn't our favorite, because it was so similar to DL, but just different enough that things seemed to be in the wrong spot. In a week there we never got comfortable with MK. This September (over five years later) we made our second visit to WDW and got more familiar with MK, and enjoyed it more, but being used to DL the differences are noticible. DL has better Pirates and of course the Matterhorn, while MK has more space, a way better Tom Sawer Island, and even more cool stuff with the Fantasyland expansion.

Like others on the DIS boards have noted, after going to both you find things you prefer about each of them, and eventually the only solution is to make visits to both coasts.

Overall though you will love WDW and all it has to offer. It definitely takes a lot longer to cover than DLR. You'll just have to keep coming back!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

Living in Ca, our trips to DL are more frequent. We love to stay at DLH and truly enjoy the smaller size of this resort. We accomplish all that we want to do in about 4 days. Every trip to DL has been a different experience for us because we seek out new things that we have not done before. WDW is huge and we really have to plan for what we want to do. It will take a lifetime of trips to barely tap what this resort has to offer. Both resorts are fantastic!

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
The Fox Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

We just got back from my first trip to DL (DH's second). I thought their Haunted Mansion and IASW were superior to WDW, and going on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the Nemo submarine was great. Otherwise, yeah, not so great. We couldn't have spent more than one day at DL, and normally spend 5 days at WDW without an issue.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Belle83
DIS Veteran

That's funny, WDW always makes me miss DL. I think lowest crowds are in January and September. Look at the value pricing seasons for WDW hotel rooms and that will give you an idea of when to go. There are some discounts right now for 20%-30% rooms on the Disney website.

I would do a cruise/WDW trip myself Lots of fun.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

There is just *something* at DLR that it isn't at WDW. Of course there is a lot at WDW that isn't at DLR, but this is an intangible. As I said earlier, we love WDW, but DLR is a must for any true Disney fan.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
We live a few hours from DLR but prefer the total immersion we get at WDW. All of our DVC points are in Florida. DLR is a great 2-3 day mini vacation but not a week.

We just returned from Aulani. I went with a negative attitude because the Ritz Carlton on Maui is my favorite resort in the world but I must say Disney got it right with Aulani. I think we may return to Aulani next year rather than going to WDW.
Could you tell me about Alunai? I have never been to Hawaii, and would like to go --perhaps switching up my trips (As 2016 was going to be a trip to
WDW with just DH to celebrate our 25 wedding anniversary, and 2014 was going to be a trip to WDW with my DS-then-17 and his GF to celebrate their graduation ) -- however, perhaps the grad trip can stay the way it is, and 2016 could be a trip for DH and I to try out Hawaii!!! my only concern, when I said I'd love to try Alunai, my grown kids piped up "you don't do DISNEY in Hawaii!!!!) how Disney is Hawaii/alunai?? would it be a nice romantic trip to get away for my 25th??? do you think my DH would like it, even if it is Disney themed??? he's a motorcycle fanatic and would like to do some of the long windy hawaiian motorcycle rides he's read so much about online. I think Alunai looks beautiful, but is there enough there to keep a grown up/ or grownups without kids happy??? any insights you can give about your experience would be much appreciated!
Thanks! Sorry OP to highjack your thread -- feel free to PM me if you like Pakey

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: