Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #31
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Great updates! A lot of people find the no character handler/photopass a big shocker when they first visit Disneyland.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #32
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great update, love the photos and love the hats
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #33
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

Haunted Mansion looks so cool
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #34
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
Great updates! A lot of people find the no character handler/photopass a big shocker when they first visit Disneyland.
On the one hand, I wish there had at least been Photo Pass photographers with all the characters because I love having as many character pictures on our CD as possible. On the other hand, however, I liked the feeling of spontaneity that it afforded having the characters just be able to appear and be on their own. So I'm torn about it all haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great update, love the photos and love the hats
Thanks! Tracy was glad to be able to get the headband in Disneyland because the sun/heat was nowhere near as intense as when we go to WDW. There, we always needs the hat with a brim to block the sun. And I just like my Pluto hat. It's probably one of the most ridiculous headwear options they sell, which I enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oypoodles View Post
Haunted Mansion looks so cool
It was awesome! As you'll see, I think we rode it more than ten times on this trip haha. We just didn't know when we'd ever be back to experience the overlay again, and we never really got sick of it.

On an unrelated note, is your username a Gilmore Girls reference? I like it!
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #35
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 14
Inside the House of Mouse

Exiting Tomorrowland after our multiple journeys into space, we started walking back to Fantasyland. We caught our first good look at the majestic Matterhorn.

We saw the submarines going by in their lagoon.

And we walked past the phenomenal outdoor façade of It’s a Small World.

But our real destination was another of Dinseyland’s unique lands—Mickey’s Toontown!

When Mickey’s Toontown Fair was open at the Magic Kingdom, Tracy and I totally ignored it on our first trip. Then, when we found out it would be closing, we made sure to explore the whole area thoroughly on our honeymoon. We ended up being totally enamored by all the houses and all the great touches. I think we had been worried that this would be the one area in WDW that felt too “young” for us, but in reality, it was a lot of fun! I’m sad that the fair is gone from Florida, but really glad that we can visit Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland. Simply walking in, the entire landscape of the land is very impressive.

We’ve played Epic Mickey on the Wii, and I wasn’t really prepared how entirely this land matches the Toontown that you visit in that game (with the caveat that this version isn’t in shambles). Right when we walked in, we saw Pluto meeting and greeting in the gazebo. Even though we’d met him earlier in the day, we went up to get a picture with him in his “standard” collar.

Next, we wandered around a little admiring some of the shops and restaurants in Toontown. I liked Pluto’s Dog House.

I fit right in with my Pluto hat!

This is one of those lands that feels purely Disney. It’s like you’ve walked straight into a cartoon!

And because of forced perspective it feels really big.

We saw Minnie signing autographs outside her house.

We were interested in meeting the main mouse himself, however, so we entered Mickey’s House.

We liked Pluto’s doggy door.

All of the wacky architecture and bright colors just made the whole house a fun place to explore.

I liked this Mickey metronome on top of the piano.

I took a seat on Pluto’s dog bed.

Some of these pun brands are so clever.

I found Pluto’s dog house—the one that isn’t a quick service restaurant!

Now we were getting close to the end of the house where we would get to meet Mickey.

We tried to take a picture of ourselves in the mirror, but the flash didn’t make it work out too well…

I liked Donald’s attempt at painting as we got up toward Mickey’s meeting area.

When we got to the front, we watched the movie playing some Mickey cartoons with some narrated interruptions by Donald and Goofy, then we were led back to meet Mickey himself!

He was glad to see us, as always.

Having met Mickey, we exited Toontown. Our stomachs were grumbling, so we started making our way toward lunch!

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-28-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #36
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Real Life Update
BIG NEWS
October 23, 2012

Hello dear readers. I hope you’ve all been enjoying reading along and reliving this trip with me. Hopefully you’ll pardon this brief interruption from the regular trip reporting as I wanted to again provide you with an update on what’s happening in the present day.

We’re going to Disneyland! Actually it’s a lot more complicated than that. As you know, Tracy and I have been crashing at her parents’ house here in Colorado for the last two and a half months as we tried to transition out of New York life and into our next adventure. I’ve been trying everything modern medicine can do to try to make me feel better in my constant struggle with autonomic dysfunction. We dreamed of my finding the perfect medicine, having our lives go back to normal, and moving to California where we both find perfect jobs that would make us happy. It turned out to be messier than that (as it often is), so we’ve had to revise our plan.

We’re moving to California anyway. Next week, in fact! Our pod storage container is in transit as we speak, and at the end of next week Tracy and I are packing up the car and making this move. Where exactly to? Well, originally our plan was to go to L.A. We thought it would be fun to try to get jobs at one of the movie studios (preferably Disney) and see where our lives went from there. But then we had a change of heart. I’d be lying if I said that being close to Disneyland wasn’t at least 50% of the reason we decided to move to California to begin with. The Disney parks make us happy, which is one of the big things we’re looking for in a move. But it was Tracy who took it a step further in putting forth the idea that we move to the Anaheim area and try to work at Disneyland.

So we’ll soon be off to the suburbs of Anaheim to find a place to live. Tracy is going to apply at Disneyland when we get there. Her dream jobs would be either to be a “friend of” a face character (her height falls within the range of Alice, Wendy, and the fairies) or to work at one of the resorts. Since we’re missing a round of character auditions by a week or so, she’ll have to wait till the next ones come up. In the meantime, she keeps hoping Disney posts a listing looking for Front Desk or Concierge at any of the resorts. Right now, however, I have a question for you, the reader. If DISboards page viewer count is correct, there are hundreds of you out there. If any of you happen to be past/current Disneyland cast members and would be willing to answer a few questions we have about working in the parks, please send me a private message!

As for me, I probably can’t work at Disneyland at this point in time as much as I’d like to. I still can’t stand for very long without feeling dizzy, and it seems like every job there requires a lot of standing. The best option for me would be to find a job where I can work from home as I continue to try to find some sort of treatment that gets my symptoms under control. That way I could set my hours based around when I feel okay. I know that kind of job exists but am having the hardest time finding anything advertised online that isn’t a get rich quick scam. I don’t expect to “make $500 for 5 minutes of work,” I just want to find a job that I can physically do. So again, I’m asking you, readers, if you currently work from home and have any advice, or if any of you happen to know of any work-at-home job openings for which I could apply, please send me a private message.

Anyway, for those of you wondering what our being close to Disneyland will mean for you, the trip report reader, here’s what I’m excited to tell you. I will, of course, be starting a new trip report as soon as we are underway. “Trip report” is a bit of a misnomer as it will actually be more of a “life report.” Once we’re living in CA, we will be getting annual passes (or hopefully cast member admission in Tracy’s case) and will be at Disneyland as often as humanly possible. So I can promise you that we’ll have all kinds of photos and stories to share with you. I’ll let you know on this trip report as soon as I’ve started the new one. In the meantime, please feel free to follow us on Twitter or Instagram (or both) as we’ll begin posting Disney-related content on both of those as soon as possible. I’m @tayalltheway on Twitter, and @tayalltheway87 on Instagram. Tracy is @troberts8 on both. We’d love to share our adventures with you.

Thank you all for reading. I love having this outlet to share our Disney travels with all of you!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

That is such exciting news - I wish you both the best of luck and I hope you manage to sort out your health condition. What an exciting time for you both. Best of luck to your wife in becoming a 'friend' to a character!

Me DGranny : DS9 DS7
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #38
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Hello all! In case you missed it, be sure to click here to read about our BIG NEWS in my most recent real-life update. And now back to the trip report...

Chapter 15
Pancho

Leaving Toontown, we headed back toward Frontierland. Now there was a Photo Pass photographer at the Halloween photo spot, so we paused to pose.

Suddenly, we spotted this guy waiting outside the entrance to Big Thunder Ranch!

Now Tracy and I are total suckers for farm animals and for animals in costume. This pleasant fellow fit both bills, so we were overjoyed to see him.

As we continued on into Frontierland, we came to our first true Disney restaurant of the tripRancho del Zocalo.

Having very little knowledge about Disneyland dining as of when we booked the trip, we quickly had set to work trying to figure out what restaurants we needed to hit. I had originally heard about Rancho del Zocalo on one of Lous podcasts when he mentioned it in passing, and once we looked it up online, we knew it would be a must do.

We love good Mexican food. Having gone from Colorado, where there are several great Mexican restaurants in every city, to New York, where there seems to be an abundance of every cuisine EXCEPT Mexican, we were craving a good meal. We ordered the Carne Asada & Red Chile Enchilada Platter to split, and some chips and salsa. It sounded quite delicious. One of the funniest things about Disneyland quick service dining as compared to WDW is that all of the meals come on real plates with real silverware. I feel like no one is ever prepared for it! It felt so fancy. Once we got our food, we sat down at a table on the nice patio.

The food was all really good. I dont know that it QUITE held up to the more-authentic Mexican fare weve been spoiled with in Colorado, but it was CERTAINLY better than anything we ever found in NYC. The meat was tender, the enchilada was good, and the sides were really tasty. We decimated the whole plate and bag of chips in no time flat.

Our stomachs full, it was finally time for the moment we had been waiting fora visit to Big Thunder Ranch. As Ive said, we absolutely love animals, and any opportunity to visit a petting zoo is one that we dont pass up. So when we heard there was a petting zoo at Disneyland, we knew this minor attraction had to make our list.

Upon entering the Ranch, we met, and subsequently fell in love. Meet Pancho.

Hes an adorable donkey. And he loved getting attention.

We paused at his enclosure for a solid ten minutes because he was just so sweet. He really liked getting his ears scratched, so of course we obliged.

Pulling ourselves away from Pancho, we wandered around the rest of the Ranch. They had a pumpkin-carver doing various Disney designs. She was amazing! Here were some of our favorites.

And here she was in action.

DUMBO!

What a bizarre art form to have such talent in. We were thoroughly impressed.

After looking at the pumpkins for a while, we found ourselves missing Pancho. So we went back to see him for a while.

Next, we noticed that Woody was doing meet and greets and helping kids do their crafts over at the craft area.

Interested in what the kids were making, we went over to check out their art projects. In honor of Halloween, they were coloring bat finger puppets. We were tempted to join in and make one of our own, and a cast member said we were welcome to. Instead, however, we just decided to take one as a keepsake because these were very cute bats.

Our bat in hand, we went to the other section of the Big Thunder Ranch petting zoothe goat enclosure.

Now, Ive been to many a petting zoo in my time. Usually the goats, while cute, are extremely obnoxious because they all fight to the front hoping to get fed. What we were surprised to learn here, however, is that this must be a learned behavior. In Disneyland, they explicitly ask you not to feed the animals, so these goats arent used to being fed by guests. As a result, they all still swarm you when you venture into their enclosure, but its because theyre fighting for affection rather than food! These goats just love being pet.

It was so much fun hanging around with the goats. They were playful and affectionate and just funny. This one did try to munch my hat a little while I pet him.

Thats the spot&

I also just love the setup of this enclosure. The goats can sit on barrels or venture up little hills depending on what theyre in the mood for.

We found it hard to pull away from our new friends.

In the end, we decided to bid farewell to the Ranch for now lest we spend too much of our day enjoying the farm friends. We decided wed have to come back to visit again on our trip, and we were so glad we took the time out to venture in.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #39
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetia View Post
That is such exciting news - I wish you both the best of luck and I hope you manage to sort out your health condition. What an exciting time for you both. Best of luck to your wife in becoming a 'friend' to a character!
Thanks for the well-wishes! We're very excited (and a little scared haha).

Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #40
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Another great update. Those goats and Mr. Pancho, the donkey, are all very cute! I love that Disneyland has a petting zoo in the park.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #41
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

It totally is! haha Oy with the poodles already

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayalltheway View Post

On an unrelated note, is your username a Gilmore Girls reference? I like it!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

Good luck on your upcoming move!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #43
kate14
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by oypoodles
Gah! Love the GG reference- one of my favorite lines from the show! That and Lorelei's scolding Luke for trying to add things from his to do list to her to do list.

And copper boom.

I'm a dork, ignore me :-)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #44
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
Another great update. Those goats and Mr. Pancho, the donkey, are all very cute! I love that Disneyland has a petting zoo in the park.
Glad you're still enjoying We're excited to make it back to Big Thunder Ranch and visit all of our furry friends (note the title of this TR!)

Quote:
Haha, awesome! It caught my eye right away.

Quote:
Good luck on your upcoming move!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate14 View Post
Gah! Love the GG reference- one of my favorite lines from the show! That and Lorelei's scolding Luke for trying to add things from his to do list to her to do list.

And copper boom.

I'm a dork, ignore me :-)
I like it. When I was stuck mostly at home while I was feeling particularly bad this summer, I watched almost the whole series of GG on DVD in like a week. It helped pass my boring days quite well.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #45
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 16
Itty Bitty Living Space

We continued our tour of attractions unique to Disneyland by getting in line for the Casey Jr. Circus Train.

Our new bat friend was pretty excited to ride.

While we were waiting, we noticed Alice and the Mad Hatter having a tea party across the way. Thats one of those cool things that the characters only do in Disneyland which really adds another layer to the character experience! We had fun watching while we waited for a few minutes. When the train pulled up, we opted for one of the more traditional cars rather than one of the animal cages.

We actually ended up in the front row, which was great except that we were right behind the engine, so the exhaust was more than a little stinky.

The train affords great views of all the miniatures from the Storybook Land Canal Boats.

I also like the random maze of hedges that you go through on the train. If any attraction in the Disney parks resembles what I imagine the railroad in Walts backyard was like, this is it!

The tunnels are the most fun.

Considering we really didnt expect much from this attraction going in, it ended up being a really fun experience!

After getting off the train, we noticed that the tea party was still going on.

We stood around and watched for a few minutes. Alice and the Mad Hatter have to be spot-on with improvisation, because they just kept going on and on! Speaking of tea parties, youll notice that one attraction we have never posted pictures of us riding is the Mad Tea Party. This is because rides with the much spinning threaten to make both Tracy and I ill. But at Disneyland, they have a faux-teacup you can sit in, so we finally got this picture at least!

The bat and I enjoyed our ride more than Tracy did.

Logically, our next stop was the Storybook Land Canal Boats themselves so we could get a better view of the miniatures we had seen from above on the train.

The bat was pretty excited.

I love that this attraction has a live cast member narrating it. I prefer the live guides to the generic audio that replaced them in such attractions as Living with the Land.

After we boarded our boat, which feels a little more dangerous than the loading process of practically any other Disney attraction, we were on our way. Unfortunately, Monstro took a bite out of us first.

We enjoyed passing by all the miniatures, and associating them with their owners.

We liked the caves and tunnels. This one must be the Cave of Wonders&

I also love the majesty of this castle.

We also liked the little cottages of some of our favorite characters from a variety of movies.

Its great that they put Pinocchios village such that the Matterhorn is looming in the background.

I'm so excited to visit this castle in real life at the Fantasyland expansion in WDW!

In Jim Korkis book The Vault of Walt, he devotes an entire chapter to the history of the Storybook Land Canal Boats attraction. My favorite story from that chapter is about how Disneyland went through a period when it was overrun by feral cats. At least one of those cats apparently made it into this attraction and was roaming around the miniatures, so he looked like a giant! I would love to have seen that in real life.

On the whole, we really enjoyed this ride. A Lilliputian Land was in the original plans for Disneyland, so obviously Walt felt very attached to miniatures. This whole ride, therefore, is one of those pieces of Walt Disney the man that can be felt here in his original park.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: