Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #1381
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
Picabu is open 24 hours and has all sorts of grab-and-go stuff--both fresh and off-the-shelf items. It's sort of at the end of the buffet line, by the registers. They also have their own refillable mug, which I meant to ask about but forgot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Keep in mind there is a 20% AAA discount, but also, a 13% service charge at Picabu, apparently even on carry out items.

Thanks for the info. But that's just CRAZY that there's a service charge even on carry out items! What's that all about?

I have another question that maybe someone can answer before I call and ask. I booked our room at the Dolphin and got the AAA rate. There is also a AAA rate that includes breakfast at either the Grove or the Fresh place, but I wonder if that's just for the 2 adults in the room or does that also include DD? Will I have to pay OOP for DD to eat?

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #1382
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
Thanks for the info. But that's just CRAZY that there's a service charge even on carry out items! What's that all about?
The most ridiculous part is that you walk through and pick what you want "cafeteria style, " pay the cashier, get your own silverware/ketchup/etc... and seat yourself. On some occassions you might have to "order" something like a burger that's made to order, but everyone pays the service charge, even if you didn't order something they have to bring to you.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #1383
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

At Swan now...just wanted to say, we love this place!!!

*May 2015-Grand Floridian and Beach Club * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #1384
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
I hope that you have a wonderful time. I can't wait to experience the same thing in November/December.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #1385
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

Here now- everything so far has been amazing! The room is immaculate, the staff has all been wonderful. I am I love with the view from my room - we are on the 12th floor over the top of the shell to the fountain - straight ahead I see the swan, 45 degrees to the right I can see a panoramic view of the studios and to the left I see most of world showcase- watched illuminations from the room last night after the most incredible dinner at Bluezoo- I definitely think I may have found my new WDW home- also very pleased with Tiffany Towncar.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #1386
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole View Post
Here now- everything so far has been amazing! The room is immaculate, the staff has all been wonderful. I am I love with the view from my room - we are on the 12th floor over the top of the shell to the fountain - straight ahead I see the swan, 45 degrees to the right I can see a panoramic view of the studios and to the left I see most of world showcase- watched illuminations from the room last night after the most incredible dinner at Bluezoo- I definitely think I may have found my new WDW home- also very pleased with Tiffany Towncar.

Now, that is what I call magical. I am so happy that you are having a wonderful time.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #1387
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
Enjoy the trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole View Post
Well, that sure sounds great to me, and sounds like the S/D I know.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1388
nessz79
DIS Veteran

We'll be at the Dolphin tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #1389
GC&S
DIS Veteran

Just returned from our first stay at the Swan. We were there from 10/10 - 10/17. Sadly we did not participate in the F&W party. But we walked through it several times while they were setting it up.

Our room was standard. No upgrade. No biggie because we are rarely in the room. We were on the 3rd floor and faced the front. We overlooked a roof but we could see the Boardwalk and tower of terror. We were close to the elevators and ice machine .

Our room was nice - pretty standard. Loved having two sinks. Hated no fan in the bathroom. DH hated the coffee until he figured out it as the water. When he started using bottled water he said it was much better .
No bedbugs.

We had a $100 credit that came with our package. It was a little confusing because no one really knew how it was applied or the limitations of it. So we ended up charging to the room and then the credit came off at the end. We just had to keep track of how much we spent so we knew when we used it all.

We ate at the Fountain 3 times, once for dinner, twice for ice cream. Very good and good service. We got milk at Picabus. Wished we could have bought milk at the Swan.

The pool was gorgeous. But the main pool was freezing. Very few people could swim in it. We ended up in the lap pool where it was warmer. DH did not know the pool was having issues before we got there (rumors about it being closed for refurb). He said they were probably trying to kill algae by keeping it so cold. But it was disappointing that it was too cold to swim in it. We asked a couple employees why it was so cold and they said they didnt know but several people had complained about it. But it is a nice pool and dd enjoyed it. It onlt took a couple hours to get her body temp back to normal .

I dont know if we would return. It was a nice place but it was so business like. We didnt see a lot of families and sometimes almost felt out of place. When we arrived a conference group was checking in and we waited in line for 1/2 hour as only one person was checking people in. They finally brought out another employee. We were not able to get luggage assistance (were told conference attendees were being assisted first and there was a lot of them).

We did the mini golf at Fantasia Gardens which was a lot of fun (but really hot!). We used our water park and more feature and it was only good up until 4p.m. We literally ran to the golf as it was 3:50 when we found out. We had just returned from Typhoon Lagoon and I was exhausted! But it was really cute.

The Dolphin was gorgeous and I would have loved to eat at the Blue Zoo. DD (10) was not interested and I dont think we had the appropriate clothes.

We used Tiffany Town Car and it was great. We couldnt find our driver when we got to baggage claim but he showed up about 15 minutes later and all was well. Nice not having to stop at other resorts on the way to ours.

I'm glad we tried it but would probably stay at YC or BC if we stayed in the Epcot area. Of course if we got a great rate for the Swan/Dolphin, I'm sure our minds could be changed quickly.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1390
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79
We'll be at the Dolphin tomorrow! Can't wait!
Have a great time!! We have to wait until JANUARY!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #1391
Flews
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC&S View Post
Just returned from our first stay at the Swan. We were there from 10/10 - 10/17. Sadly we did not participate in the F&W party. But we walked through it several times while they were setting it up.

The pool was gorgeous. But the main pool was freezing. Very few people could swim in it. We ended up in the lap pool where it was warmer. DH did not know the pool was having issues before we got there (rumors about it being closed for refurb). He said they were probably trying to kill algae by keeping it so cold. But it was disappointing that it was too cold to swim in it. We asked a couple employees why it was so cold and they said they didnt know but several people had complained about it. But it is a nice pool and dd enjoyed it. It onlt took a couple hours to get her body temp back to normal . .
To each their own I guess. We're here now, and have been for a week. The pool feels a bit cool - probably because the air is so hot - the temperatures have been consistently in the mid-to-high 80s. But we've been in every day, along with many other families. We also warm up in the hot-tubs.

Oh we'll, off to AK for the "scary dinosaurs". Then back to the pools before heading off to Epcot again this evening.

Cheers,
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #1392
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I'll be back 6 weeks from today!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1393
Debrn
Mouseketeer

At Dolphin now. Love it. Called to try and get nurses rate for end of Feb. was told dolphin is sold out and cheapest room with the discount at Swan is 269 per night. I will be keeping my BC reservations.
10/10 BWV/BLT
03/12 Poly TPV, 10/12 Pop/Dolphin
02/13 AKV
03/13 YC CL,Dolphin/CSR

ME &DBF DD 13DS 10
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #1394
hoglund
Earning My Ears

Is it noisy?

I have two children, aged 5 and 2. We've been to Disney a couple of times with them and we've stayed at a suite those times.

We are booked in for a standard room in the Swan and we're wondering if anyone has any feedback on what the noise level might be like (i.e. from the hallway, from the attached rooms).

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1395
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I never hear anything in the hotel room at all. I do hear (and enjoy) hearing the toots from the Friendships outside on the waterway. Not too loud though, just right. If in your room when Illuminations goes off, you can hear (and feel) the louder, more powerful blasts. Again, not terribly loud though. I think you can hear both the boats and Illuminations throughout the Epcot resort area.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: