Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
intricatejewel
"Don't tell Monkey..."

JUST one?

So I took my first solo travel to Disney World for four days and have decided its just not for me. I fell in love with the idea of doing ANYTHING I wanted instead of planning a trip around everyone else's expectations without compromise. I'm comfortable with my own company and after reading about several solo traveling posts from other DISers I decided,"Why not?" Upon checking in, the CM says JUST yourself? Why yes, I'm splurging on a vacation that's all about me. Standing in line for an attraction, I hold up one finger to indicate one rider:" ONLY one?" Checking in for a dinner reservation is greeted with, "Aw, it's JUST you today?" Mind you, each cast member said this with their head tilted to the side and a rather confused look on their face. By the third day, this response was setting my teeth on edge. I did my best to shrug it off, but the whole thing just left me with an unpleasant experience and I've resolved to never travel travel solo to Disney again. I'll continue to come back, but with friends and family to enrich the experience.
Animal Kindgom Lodge '06
All Star Movies '06-'12
Disney Dream '13
intricatejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by intricatejewel View Post
So I took my first solo travel to Disney World for four days and have decided its just not for me. I fell in love with the idea of doing ANYTHING I wanted instead of planning a trip around everyone else's expectations without compromise. I'm comfortable with my own company and after reading about several solo traveling posts from other DISers I decided,"Why not?" Upon checking in, the CM says JUST yourself? Why yes, I'm splurging on a vacation that's all about me. Standing in line for an attraction, I hold up one finger to indicate one rider:" ONLY one?" Checking in for a dinner reservation is greeted with, "Aw, it's JUST you today?" Mind you, each cast member said this with their head tilted to the side and a rather confused look on their face. By the third day, this response was setting my teeth on edge. I did my best to shrug it off, but the whole thing just left me with an unpleasant experience and I've resolved to never travel travel solo to Disney again. I'll continue to come back, but with friends and family to enrich the experience.
So sorry to hear that you had this unpleasant experience. I have never had anyone say "Aw,it's JUST you today?" but I'm a guy so maybe that has something to do with it. I am also the type of guy who really isn't paying much attention to small talk like that. I'll be heading out solo next month so I'll try to pay a little more attention.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
intricatejewel
"Don't tell Monkey..."

Hmm, I'm curious to know how you fair on your next solo trip. Perhaps it is a gender thing. You've shed some light on a new train of thought that I hadn't considered. From their POV perhaps they were wondering why a young woman was going on a vacation by herself instead of with friends or family. The gist of it came down to me wanting a little me time and the CM's perhaps weren't able to understand that. Oh we'll, I really am glad I went. The other park guests were fun to talk to and meet. I hope you have a great time!!
Animal Kindgom Lodge '06
All Star Movies '06-'12
Disney Dream '13
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by intricatejewel View Post
From their POV perhaps they were wondering why a young woman was going on a vacation by herself instead of with friends or family. The gist of it came down to me wanting a little me time and the CM's perhaps weren't able to understand that.
Sorry you had an upsetting experience. I spent eight days solo recently, and didn't once feel out of place. If someone used the word "just" or "only" I didn't see it as judgement or pity.
You are sensitive about this, to feel so offended that you decide to not go solo again. Why do you assume that they pity you or are curious about you? You are, after all, one guest in 500 to 10,000 that that castmember might see that day.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Icecoldpenguin
May the Force Be With You

That is so unfortunate. I had a blast on my solo trip I am a young woman also and had nothing but awesome support from cast members. My server at the character breakfast at park fare talked to me for a long time about having a strong individual personality and strength of character. She applauded me on doing something for myself and shared many stories with me that we're very inspiring. Don't let it discourage you I am married now but I'm going down by myself for a day before my husband meets me and I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

TRIPS:
Now a Florida Resident and Visiting as much as possible!
All 5 SWW 2014 Turkey Day '13 VWL, Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Icecoldpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

This is interesting. While I have not dined at TS by myself I have gone on attractions and cs by myself. I write a blog about Disney and while I love being with my daughter and husband sometimes I need to be by myself to review.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
goofy_joe
Mouseketeer

Maybe it depends on the time of day (though it shouldn't). I are TS by myself at Tokyo Dining for lunch one day. (I was among the first seated for the day.) I got very attentive service and had a nice chat with the server near the end of the experience.

Wherever possible at home, if I am dining solo, I like to sit at the bar. Unfortunately, most park restaurants aren't set up like that at WDW.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
geekboy
Gold Castaway Member

I go to Disney whenever I can and that is mostly without friends/family! I love it when my friends and/or their children are with me, but I have my favorite things to do in the parks.

My real excuse, at least what I tell my friends, is that I bought a Premium Annual Pass and I have to abuse it!
Disney Dream (4-Night Bahamian) 9/2012
Disney Magic (7-Night Western Caribbean) 11/2012
Disney Dream (3-Night Bahamian) 12/2012
Disney Fantasy (7-Night Eastern Caribbean) 1/26/2013
Disney Magic (6-Night Western Caribbean) 04/20/2013 (Bingo Jackpot!)
Disney Magic (4-Night Bahamian) 12/18/2013
Disney Dream (3-Night Bahamian) 4/24/2014 (DVC)
Disney Dream (4-Night Bahamian) 8/31/2014 CURRENTLY SAILING
Disney Magic (3-Night Repositioning San Juan to Canaveral) 10/18/2014
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I just completed an 8 night solo trip. It was fine, I dined table service solo at Brown Derby, Coral Reef, Olivia's, Plaza Restaurant and T-Rex. I think the counter service places were a little weirder to eat at solo than the table service places because people are always looking for places to sit, and taking the extra chair from your table. I did meet a fellow Moderator and his wife for lunch at Raglan Road one day.

I really enjoyed doing some things in the parks solo. My friends were texting wondering how I was doing at Disney alone. Like I told them, it's very different from traveleing with friends and family, but it is still fun. I was able to stop and admire the details of the themes, enjoy the walking treks at AK, and I had a shorter wait time using the single rider line at Rockin' Roller Coaster.

I'm sorry the OP didn't have a great time going solo.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 10-18-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: typo
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
intricatejewel
"Don't tell Monkey..."

Perhaps I was being sensitive to some of the comments, but it was very repetitive hearing, "Just one?" Its not much different from saying, "Is that all there is?". Don't get me wrong. There really were some aspects to solo traveling that I especially enjoyed and I feel obligated to mention that it wasn't all bad. I ate at the Plaza restaurant and the server there was very attentive and kind and it was a wonderful lunch. I met a very sweet person in line waiting for Stitch's Great Escape that was also a single traveler and she too gets a little annoyed with the JUST ONE comment, but it wasn't enough to deter her from visiting Disney by herself. We had fun and it was really that moment that I realized I much better enjoy disney when I'm sharing it with someone. Hearing JUST ONE all the time was like salt in a wound that I didn't realize was there and exasperated my loneliness. I didn't think I'd feel the way I did because I've vacationed before by myself on many occasions and loved it. Solo travel to Disney can be very rewarding in its own way but I learned through experience that it wasn't for me.
Animal Kindgom Lodge '06
All Star Movies '06-'12
Disney Dream '13
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
stindall
Congress Tart

I don't think you're being sensitive. Everyone is different as are their experiences. It very well may be that the way you were talked too felt demeaning to you, that's very possible even if it has never happened to any of these other posters. Please don't let them make you feel bad about having a hard time. Honestly, this is what I'm the most nervous about but I'm determined to go because I want to and no one else does! Bravo to you for at least trying it!

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I travel for work alone often and I get the same reaction everywhere. It does get old after awhile so I can definitely sympathize especially since you are traveling for pleasure.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
intricatejewel
"Don't tell Monkey..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall
I don't think you're being sensitive. Everyone is different as are their experiences. It very well may be that the way you were talked too felt demeaning to you, that's very possible even if it has never happened to any of these other posters. Please don't let them make you feel bad about having a hard time.
You're so sweet, thank you! I smiled when I read your comment. It's fine. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't want solo travelers to feel that I was attacking solo travel and discouraging other people who might be considering taking their first trip by themselves. And as for them making me feel bad about having a hard time, they really didn't. On the contrary, I took warmth from most of the responses.
Animal Kindgom Lodge '06
All Star Movies '06-'12
Disney Dream '13
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
coldboxer04
Earning My Ears

I've had CM's say similar things too me as well before, at first would really bother me cause I wouldn't mind having people to go with but I also enjoy being there by myself and getting to do whatever I want (single rider lines don't hurt either if only every ride had them). Thankfully though I have gotten used to it now and while not many opportunities to get into more conversations with new people happen the rare one does happen and can surprise.
coldboxer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I really think the "Just One" comment at restaurants is kind of normal everywhere. Kind of like "Thank You and Have a Nice Day" when you check out at the grocery store...so I let it slide like water on a duck's back. And when I'm alone I notice that the restaurant CMs tend to be a little more chatty, which is fine.

But for the OP, solo travel just isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm perfectly OK with it, but I do prefer to travel with friends/family when they can go. But when they can't come...I go alone. I'd never cancel a trip just because I'd be a solo traveler.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: