Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
peyjax
DIS Veteran

Disneyland is a fabulous local theme park!

Yes I know this rile up some feathers and I welcome the counter responses.

Returned a few days ago from a first time trip. (sort of as 3 family member spent one partial day there in 09) Things we learned.

Disneyland rides rock! and typically trump the world every time.

Disneyland service sucks! They treat people like crap and cater to locals. Hence why I say it is a great local theme park. I will not go into all the details as they are way to many and I know how these boards are and people love to disect and argue how you were in the wrong and Disney is all candy and lollipops.

Staying on site makes a big difference and for those use to DW it is very noticeable. We stayed off site one night and a split stay at DLH and GCH. Love GCH as it is a very well done. Loved DLH rooms as well and tangora terrace but there was just something about GCH that made it awesome.

Things I learned on here did not have me prepared for the crowds we experienced. Cars and was fine but it was DL that was so packed it made it less enjoyable.

The counter service food is really good and also trumps DW! Plaza fried chicken. WOW! Gumbo.. Yummy. Tiger tail sounds gross but is so good!

Cars land is beyond what I imagined and could not believe how amazing it was! The attention to detail was wonderful. The rest of DCA is well, interesting. Liked paradise pier but that was about it.

Overall we really liked a lot about the Land and think it was great start for Walt. For us DW has the edge with the themes and service, but DCL wins hands down for vacay experience. Then again we have not tried DL Tokyo, Paris, etc. LOL it is on the wish list!

For our family what sets Disney apart from the rest is the service and attention to details. It is why we always choose them for our vacations from Dw to DCL and now DL. What I do not understand is how people say this is Walt's park yet it seems to be the furthest from what the standards I always thought Walt stood for. Cheesy I know but I really could not get over how bad the service was.
peyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

It is clearly Walt's park because he built it. Disneyland is the only park Walt Disney designed, built, lived in, visited and enhanced. How could it not be his park?

I agree with you when you say DL caters to the locals. It goes perfectly with what Walt Disney said in Disneyland's opening speech: "Disneyland is your land". I really do feel like Disneyland's ours. I also believe DL caters to the other guests as well, not just the locals. I find DL's service to be exceptional, but not everyone's the same Glad you had a nice time.

Last edited by disneyismyheart247; 10-18-2012 at 09:48 AM.
disneyismyheart247 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

I am not sure what you mean when you say Disneyland caters to the locals...

I have never been frisked for my drivers license to ascertain my distance traveled to the park...

I know you cannot be referring to the SoCal discounts since Florida has many many more of those.

And it cannot be the DVC discounts because Disney World patrons got those, Califonia did not.

I am puzzled...

But I am so glad you enjoyed your visit!
Miss Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Peach
I am not sure what you mean when you say Disneyland caters to the locals...
I think the OP was specifically talking about APs? I don't know.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Peach View Post
I have never been frisked for my drivers license to ascertain my distance traveled to the park...
Neither have I!

"They treat people like crap and cater to locals."

I just do not comprehend this. What were your experiences? You say you don't want to list them, but by not listing them you're making the issues you think would happen *worse*.

I've had an AP for 3 years (not in a row) yet am NOT a local. And I have not a single clue how they can cater to a group of people that can't be separated out from a crowd.

When I go to WDW (I had an AP there for a year, and just like with DLR, I'm not a local!), I want to schedule a trip to DLR on the way home, to get some relaxation and comfort.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

"They treat people like crap and cater to locals."

I also do not understand the above quote. Especially without any context or specific examples. Given, any CM can have a bad day or make a mistake. But we've had friends and family travel from across the country or from other countries to visit DLR, and no one has ever complained about being ill treated or receiving bad service. No one has ever mentioned feeling slighted because they were not locals. In fact, they usually comment that DLR's CMs and service are better overall than the CMs at whichever Disney park is their home park. There is definitely something uniquely special about Walt's park.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
larina
DIS Veteran

Everyone has their experiences. We return to DL because of the fabulous service we always get while we are there. I'm sorry that's not what happened for you.
I do think we would respond differently if you gave examples instead of being purposefully vague, leaving us to wonder.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
HollyL
Mouseketeer

To each their own....

Personally, I choose Disneyland over WDW because WDW is crazy huge and intimidating to me, and I grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year (grew up in San Francisco). I am familiar with Disneyland, and love that everything is together in one area. It definitely makes navigating much easier with 2 small kids.

I have been to WDW twice when I was in my early 20's, before I had kids, and I had a good time, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Disneyland. I also visited Euro Disney when I was in college, back when it was new, and that was really cool because it was so different. It was during the Winter, and was actually snowing (lightly), and was like a ghost town....absolutely no wait for rides, and the food was fantastic. I would love to go again one day.

We now live in Houston, Texas, so it's equidistant between the 2 resorts, yet, I prefer to go to California. We will probably try Orlando when the kids are older though, and who knows, by then, we might just stick with WDW at that point.

To me, there is just something so magical and nostalgic about the original. I never felt like I was treated like crap, and can't really remember being treated differently as a Californian compared to being a Texan.
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyjax View Post
Yes I know this rile up some feathers and I welcome the counter responses.

Returned a few days ago from a first time trip. (sort of as 3 family member spent one partial day there in 09) Things we learned.

Disneyland rides rock! and typically trump the world every time.

Disneyland service sucks! They treat people like crap and cater to locals. Hence why I say it is a great local theme park. I will not go into all the details as they are way to many and I know how these boards are and people love to disect and argue how you were in the wrong and Disney is all candy and lollipops.

Staying on site makes a big difference and for those use to DW it is very noticeable. We stayed off site one night and a split stay at DLH and GCH. Love GCH as it is a very well done. Loved DLH rooms as well and tangora terrace but there was just something about GCH that made it awesome.

Things I learned on here did not have me prepared for the crowds we experienced. Cars and was fine but it was DL that was so packed it made it less enjoyable.

The counter service food is really good and also trumps DW! Plaza fried chicken. WOW! Gumbo.. Yummy. Tiger tail sounds gross but is so good!

Cars land is beyond what I imagined and could not believe how amazing it was! The attention to detail was wonderful. The rest of DCA is well, interesting. Liked paradise pier but that was about it.

Overall we really liked a lot about the Land and think it was great start for Walt. For us DW has the edge with the themes and service, but DCL wins hands down for vacay experience. Then again we have not tried DL Tokyo, Paris, etc. LOL it is on the wish list!

For our family what sets Disney apart from the rest is the service and attention to details. It is why we always choose them for our vacations from Dw to DCL and now DL. What I do not understand is how people say this is Walt's park yet it seems to be the furthest from what the standards I always thought Walt stood for. Cheesy I know but I really could not get over how bad the service was.

RE: the parts of your post I took the liberty of bolding....

It's hard to come up with much in the way of counter responses when you purposely didn't include details or concrete examples of bad service, how you were treated like crap, or how you think locals are catered to. Honestly I'm trying to figure out how that's even possible since the CM's have no idea who is local and who isn't.

But without details, I guess there's not much to say except I'm sorry your experience with CM's wasn't better. I'm glad you enjoyed the onsite hotels, Cars Land, the rides, and some of the food. Did I get that right?

BTW, I just posted in a thread about Disney's new "Limited Time" marketing campaign, I called them out on it big time, and I wasn't alone. All of us here are not Disney can never do wrong cheerleaders, I promise.

Last edited by cats mom; 10-18-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Edited because I messed up the quote and wanted to make sure that was fixed.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

I can understand some of what you are saying. I love both parks equally but they are both a very different experiences (despite sharing so many rides). And I agree with the catering to locals, on our last trip we kept being asked for some local card that gives a discount...I don't think it was an AP but something else. Being asked over and over again got to be a little tiring.

Sometimes it was also easy to pick out some locals because of how they treated the park, and they behaved as though they were in their local mall. Like the park isn't a 'special' place to them but just an ordinary place they visit so frequently that they don't care if they 'put their feet up on the coffee table' so to speak.

But....Disneyland has the prettiest face characters. (Hello California girls!) and has just better character interactions all around. With out having to pay for a character meal. This is my favorite thing about the park.

Edited to add - this may be because we went late summer just as AP's were unblocked.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I can't compare as I've never been to WDW but I've rarely been treated poorly at DLR and I'm not a local. Yes, I currently have an AP but I've done the get park hoppers and upgrade at the last possible moment and I can say with certainty that I have been treated the same whether I have an AP in my lanyard or park hoppers. I've been treated great, I've been treated poorly, it's up to me to decide how to react to both and in many cases it's up to me to determine how the CM treats me. For instance, if you treat a CM with a negative attitude they will likely respond in kind, but if you treat them as a person with kindness they generally appreciate that. In general the CM's at DL/DCA treat me with kindness and respect and again, even though I live in CA I am not a local.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
mommy2allyandaveri
Disney or otherwise. Sucks
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER go on that ride again!

I 100% disagree that their service sucks. We go year after year and have yet to have a bad customer service experience in the park, and I'm not easy to please.

mommy2allyandaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholywings View Post
And I agree with the catering to locals, on our last trip we kept being asked for some local card that gives a discount...I don't think it was an AP but something else. Being asked over and over again got to be a little tiring.
There's no local card that gets a discount. All they ask about is an AP, or a passport/pass, and it's so that they can be sure to give you a discount if you're entitled to one. This is better than just a few years ago, when the guest had to ask if they had an AP discount.

Since anyone can get an AP, this isn't a local thing! Of course, it's cheaper for a southern Californian (if they buy a SoCal AP and not the Deluxe (as we have), Premium, or even Premiere), but then they've got scads of blockout dates to work around.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 10-18-2012 at 06:31 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Agree with the above poster. The card you are being asked for is an annual pass, not because it puts you in some "local club," but because it will give you a discount on your purchase. And good for Disney for training the CMs to ask for the card, intead of making passholders work for the discount (and often not receive it because they forgot to ask). Being gracious to all guests is hardly "catering to locals." If you read the fan boards, you'll see that there are passholders all over the world (hello, australia??). Most of the passholders probably are local and domestic visitors, but certainly not all.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I've been to DLR twice and WDW many times. I've never noticed a difference in service or attitudes. The biggest difference for me is that I can spend a week at WDW with no problem while 3 or 4 days is enough at DL/DCA for me. I think both parks are fantastic just leaves me with a different approach to a vacation.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: