Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter View Post
Thank you, it took me a while to find the right pictures. Then it took just as long to figure out how to post them.

I'm really looking forward to the Bday button. I've read that it gets a little bit extra attention, so I'm expecting Munchkin to have a really fun day.
It does get a bit of attention...especially at restaurants. In WDW when on the dp, it is overkill... a bday dessert on top of the dessert that comes with the meal? I did have one restaurant give me champagne instead... and that was a special treat. In the parks, I think the wee ones get more attention than the not so wee (my teenage son barely got a "happy bday")

Lots of attention...little attention... it is all good since celebrating a bday in Disney is the BEST!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
tweeter
Mouseketeer

For those following along, I did figure out how to add pictures, so the introduction has been updated; in case you’d like to see the cast.

So.. we plan to start our trip early Saturday morning (November 10th) to get a good start on our 12 hour drive. With a lunch stop in Phoenix, and an unknown number of stops for the dreaded “Daddy, I have to go potty”, I’d say we can be on the road for 2 or 3 hours longer than the planned 12.

Now, I’m sure we’ve all had the desire to stay “On site” at Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian or the Paradise Pier. I’ve been looking at those prices and saying we can do it, because I really want to experience that atmosphere. But the budget won out; I found the Castle Inn at about 1/3 rd the price. We’ll have atmosphere, just not the Disney kind. Besides, if Google maps is to be believed, it’s only about 10 steps further than PP, right?

I’ll flesh this out over the next few weeks, but here’s a summary of what we’re looking at. We plan on getting 5 day hoppers. Sunday will be a character meal, most likely Goofy’s Kitchen, then explore Griffith Park and maybe Hollywood. Monday would be DL. Tuesday would be DCA. Wednesday and Thursday are up in the air. Friday will be DL since the Storybook land canal boats and Casey Jr. railroad will be open. Not to mention, Friday is our Birthday day.

Mom has also made her decision and she’ll be joining us on Wednesday. That may change our plans slightly; we’d make the tickets a 4 day hopper and make Wednesday a non park day. Maybe try to go see the shuttle Endeavour at its new home.
tweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For those following along, I did figure out how to add pictures, so the introduction has been updated; in case you’d like to see the cast.

So.. we plan to start our trip early Saturday morning (November 10th) to get a good start on our 12 hour drive. With a lunch stop in Phoenix, and an unknown number of stops for the dreaded “Daddy, I have to go potty”, I’d say we can be on the road for 2 or 3 hours longer than the planned 12.

Now, I’m sure we’ve all had the desire to stay “On site” at Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian or the Paradise Pier. I’ve been looking at those prices and saying we can do it, because I really want to experience that atmosphere. But the budget won out; I found the Castle Inn at about 1/3 rd the price. We’ll have atmosphere, just not the Disney kind. Besides, if Google maps is to be believed, it’s only about 10 steps further than PP, right?

I’ll flesh this out over the next few weeks, but here’s a summary of what we’re looking at. We plan on getting 5 day hoppers. Sunday will be a character meal, most likely Goofy’s Kitchen, then explore Griffith Park and maybe Hollywood. Monday would be DL. Tuesday would be DCA. Wednesday and Thursday are up in the air. Friday will be DL since the Storybook land canal boats and Casey Jr. railroad will be open. Not to mention, Friday is our Birthday day.

Mom has also made her decision and she’ll be joining us on Wednesday. That may change our plans slightly; we’d make the tickets a 4 day hopper and make Wednesday a non park day. Maybe try to go see the shuttle Endeavour at its new home.

I didn't realize you were driving. Will it just be you and your son driving? You are brave

Sounds like plans are starting to come together nicely!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
tweeter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I didn't realize you were driving. Will it just be you and your son driving? You are brave
Thank you!

Actually, Munchkin does very well on car trips. I've gone to visit my brother several times with just the two of us in the car (4 hour drive) and we (Dad, Mom and Munchkin) drove to San Diego back in May (10 hour drive) with only one small problem just as we got to our hotel. Munchkin and I will drive out to DL and Mom will join us on the way back. The plan is to take it one hour at a time and plan for several stops; both ways.

By the way, we are now 64 days out and I only have 4 days to complete my calendar. I only have to glue it all together, so I'm sure it'll be done in time. I'll be posting pics early next week.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
tweeter
Mouseketeer

Countdown

Today is 60 days from the start of our trip. Excitement is waning, just a little, but I have completed a 60 day countdown calendar to boost that excitement.

It took a few hours here and there to complete the steps so I thought I'd share of few of those milestones with you.

Tracing and cutting the Mickey Heads was about the most fun, because 4 yo Munchkin kept saying "Daddy you're not cutting right, let me show you."

Okay, all cut out and ready to put together.

Allright, I've got those Mickey Heads glued together and attached to the central wheel; now it's time to show the final product.

Here's a close up off the top half.

And a little closer to see the detail in the numbers. On each day (i.e. 60) we'll turn the Mickey Head around for the next number to display (i.e. 60 becomes 30, 59 becomes 29, etc.) The color pattern will change and the countdown will move smoothly from 60 all the way to 1.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
sevenmotions
Earning My Ears

Great pretrip report so far! My hubby and I will be there that same week, but only on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Here's to great weather for both of us!

sevenmotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #22
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I LOVE the countdown calendar!!!! That is super super creative!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
tweeter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmotions View Post
Great pretrip report so far! My hubby and I will be there that same week, but only on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Here's to great weather for both of us!
sevenmotions. I'm glad you're reading along. And yes, fingers, arms, legs, toes and eyes are all crossed that we have great weather that week.

Quote:
I LOVE the countdown calendar!!!! That is super super creative!
Thank you. It was fun to put together as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
tweeter
Mouseketeer

So, I missed the 4 week point (yesterday) where I was going to say, "Woo Hoo, only 4 weeks to go!".

I thought I'd throw out our plan for the day during the next week. Since I missed yesterday, this will be a two for one. Sort of.

Saturday will be spent in the car driving for about 12 hours. Once we settle in, we'll probably walk down the street to Anaheim Garden Walk. Let's see if I can convice Munchkin he wants a California Kitchen pizza.

Sunday will be our first park day. We'll be starting the day at Goofys Kitchen at 7:20. That will give us a chance to catch the Monorail from Downtown Disney. Once in the park, we'll start in Fantasy Land. I want to try a couple of the dark rides, but we'll see how Munchkin does on those. Dumbo is a must do for me, cause I've never been on that ride. Tea cups are Munchkins favorite, so I'll be using that one to "bribe" him with.

Muchkin likes to move to the beat, so we might hop over to DCA for Dancin with Disney. Or we might just stay around Fantasy Land. Either way, I'll be trying to pace the little guy so that we can make it to the Parade at 6:30 in DL and Fantasmic! at 9:00.

It will be a full day for Munchkin, but I think he'll be able to do it. He's not a napper, so an afternoon break really isn't planned.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #25
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

You have never done dumbo? Oh my! You certainly have to change that!!!

Your plans look great! And congrats on being in the "weeks left" now.. and no longer months
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #26
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a great trip planned. Very impressed with the count-down calendar! My son was 5 when we visited DLR last year and he loved it. The only ride he couldn't go on was California Screamin' because of the height restriction (and ToT, but none of us went on that!). A "must-do" if your son likes Star Wars is the Jedi Training Academy. This was the highlight of my son's trip and he loves the photo of him defeating Darth Vadar!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
tweeter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You have never done dumbo? Oh my! You certainly have to change that!!!

Your plans look great! And congrats on being in the "weeks left" now.. and no longer months
Nope, never been on Dumbo, but we will have a couple of chances to change that.

We're both excited, our trip is almost here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Sounds like a great trip planned. Very impressed with the count-down calendar! My son was 5 when we visited DLR last year and he loved it. The only ride he couldn't go on was California Screamin' because of the height restriction (and ToT, but none of us went on that!). A "must-do" if your son likes Star Wars is the Jedi Training Academy. This was the highlight of my son's trip and he loves the photo of him defeating Darth Vadar!
AussieDisneyNut. Thank you, that calendar was fun to create. I'm sorry your son couldn't go on the California Screamin', that's a fun coaster. Mine might just squeak in with the right shoes, but he's already nixed all roller coasters. Funny you should mention the Jedi Training Acadamy, I'll be posting about that shortly.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
tweeter
Mouseketeer

Monday got the better of me and I forgot to post our planned day.

Monday, November 12 will be the day we observe Veterans day. From all I read, that means a very crowded park. We'll be taking it slow and I'll be showing Munchkin Tomorrowland and Adventureland. Munchkin doesn't really know what Star Wars is, but he is really into swords right now. I want to watch the first Jedi Training Academy and see if I can somehow convince the little guy that he'll have fun trying to defeat the one and only Darth Vader. I've shown him a few youtube videos, so that may help. We'll see.

In Adventureland, we'll be looking for Santa's Reindeer and maybe the Saint Nicholas too. I'll be preping Muchkin to think about a short list, just in case.

The only other must do(s) are A Christmas Fantasy and the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks.

On Tuesday, we'll be looking at staying in DCA. It should be less busy, so we'll be getting to Cars Land. The only non-character meal planned will be lunch at Flo's V8 (shout out to annamarieda for that yummy idea). We'll just be wandering on this day with World of Color the only must do after lunch. Phineas and Ferb aren't on the schedule, so it looke like we'll be missing that must do.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #29
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Monday got the better of me and I forgot to post our planned day.

Monday, November 12 will be the day we observe Veterans day. From all I read, that means a very crowded park. We'll be taking it slow and I'll be showing Munchkin Tomorrowland and Adventureland. Munchkin doesn't really know what Star Wars is, but he is really into swords right now. I want to watch the first Jedi Training Academy and see if I can somehow convince the little guy that he'll have fun trying to defeat the one and only Darth Vader. I've shown him a few youtube videos, so that may help. We'll see.

In Adventureland, we'll be looking for Santa's Reindeer and maybe the Saint Nicholas too. I'll be preping Muchkin to think about a short list, just in case.

The only other must do(s) are A Christmas Fantasy and the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks.

On Tuesday, we'll be looking at staying in DCA. It should be less busy, so we'll be getting to Cars Land. The only non-character meal planned will be lunch at Flo's V8 (shout out to annamarieda for that yummy idea). We'll just be wandering on this day with World of Color the only must do after lunch. Phineas and Ferb aren't on the schedule, so it looke like we'll be missing that must do.

Yes, Flo's V was one of my favorite meals!!! Glad to hear you will be trying it out.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #30
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

Quote:
Yes, Flo's V was one of my favorite meals!!! Glad to hear you will be trying it out.
I really wanted to try "Flo's" last week, since I heard great things about it. But when we stopped there it was 7 at night and we were not that hungry, and everything looked too filling. My DH actually said "This looks like Denny's food. Does anybody want Denny's food."

We had lunch at the Carthay Circle the afternoon before - so I think we were just not in the mood for a sit-down meal.

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
BlueBayou is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: