Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Allegiant air

Has anyone flown allegiance air into Orlando Sanford? We are going to do a quick 3 day trip in between our annual and we can fly it for all 4 of us for almost the cost of one round trip into Mco. I know we have to grab a taxi but not a problem.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

I've flown my daughter on Allegiant many times for trips back north to visit her mother. Never had a problem with them. Just need to watch the fares as they can climb quickly and, of course, the departure and return days might not fit your schedule. But, getting in/out of that airport is a breeze since it's so small.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Rather than a taxi, look to a rental car, even if it sits at your Resort.

The fastest route is 55 miles. Taxi fares in Orlando are $2.40 for the first 1/4 mile and then 60¢ per additional 1/4 mile. So taxi each way would run about $130 plus tip.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

I would suggest getting a rental. It's a pretty decent drive to the Sanford airport! I can't even imagine the taxi fare!

While I haven't ever flown Allegiant before, we are looking into it because they fly into our old hometown! And usually it's pretty good prices!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
POB14
Colleen and Mary's BaBa
Feet are, without doubt, the best argument AGAINST intelligent design I can imagine!

We did, once, a few years ago. Very small airport (I love very small airports).

I certainly would rent a car.

I would recommend the tollway around Orlando, even though it's longer; you avoid the traffic through Orlando.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
danny1649
Will be wearing some lime green
I just love to dance
Armed with this information I might be able to out score DW for once

DISboards Moderator

Moved Your Post Here

The experts here will give you some great information.
danny1649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
SheenaXena21
DIS Veteran

I've flown Allegiant, I think around 5 times. We've never had a problem. As PP have stated, Sanford is a very small airport. We're actually returning home from with Allegiant our upcoming trip.

I remember one trip, they had ONE counter open (and I think 2 or 3 agents), with a HUGE line of people trying to check-in. They had to have a person pull people that were about to miss their flight, and take them to the front of the line, which annoyed people who showed up on time to check-in.

So definately show up 2 hours before your departure.

SheenaXena21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
Has anyone flown allegiance air into Orlando Sanford? We are going to do a quick 3 day trip in between our annual and we can fly it for all 4 of us for almost the cost of one round trip into Mco. I know we have to grab a taxi but not a problem.
The flight was great, the added fees suck and add up. You pre check online luggage for $20 check bag, $16 overhead each leg. They only allow 40 lbs, at 42 lbs we were okay. They took each personal bag and overhead and checked the size.

Then a bottle of water is $2.50 and snacks $3.00 was annoying. I abstained, but was given a glass to take a pill.
I was looking for fee to use the "head!"

Then we rented a van, $300. Tolls were about $6-7, longer drive... I choose because I got some seats for $35, $55,$75 and airport fees. Flew back to our local airport 1 hr 45 min flight, and 25 min drive home.

So gives and takes.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Laz
DIS Veteran

I have flown Allegiant many times and must also remind you that they are known for long delays. I have had up to a 4hour delay more than once. I was just on their website and noticed that they charge a fee if you use a credit card instead of a debit card. IMO, they are starting to go a bit too far. I am reconsidering my flying options.

Last edited by Laz; 10-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Allegiant is great if you know what you're getting into.
I love it because I can get direct flights to the Bay Area where my daughter goes to college. Next week I'm going for $88 roundtrip, (plus $30 for the carryon, of course) to surprise her.

Normally, the ticket would be about $300 (if I'm lucky), with a connection.

This particular flight hasn't been late for me. However, Allegiant is definitely for leisure travelers- I'd never take it if I had an appointment to keep that day. Don't schedule anything you can't get a refund on for your day of arrival!

On the other hand, one time I was flying the whole family to Phoenix, and with all the fees (baggage, picking your seat) etc. plus the fact that they don't fly every day from my town, I gave up and went with Delta.
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

We use them from Chattanooga and have always had a good experience.
If you book online there is about a $15 convenience fee per ticket so we go to the airport to save that.
You can do a one way rental from there to Disney and drop off the car. National/Alamo are at the Swan/Dolphin and Budget is at the Doubletree in Downtown Disney. The easiest is to use the Swan/Dolphin one and walk to Hollywood Studios and get a bus to your resort. Reserve another car when you leave and take a bus to the Studios, walk to the Swan and get your car. For a short stay it is easier to just keep the car.
We take 417 the Greenway. It is about 45 minutes and 6-7 dollars in tolls. I have seen a few speed traps along there within 20 minutes of the airport so watch your speed.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

An Illinois Fan

we've flown Allegiant many times to avoid the horrible Ohare-MCO experience and never had any issues! I'd suggest you bring snacks along flight as the choices onboard are quite expensive. Sanford is a wonderful airport to fly into--small, quick security, etc. We'll be flying again soon
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel
If you book online there is about a $15 convenience fee per ticket so we go to the airport to save that.
You can do a one way rental from there to Disney and drop off the car. National/Alamo are at the Swan/Dolphin and Budget is at the Doubletree in Downtown Disney. The easiest is to use the Swan/Dolphin one and walk to Hollywood Studios and get a bus to your resort. Reserve another car when you leave and take a bus to the Studios, walk to the Swan and get your car. For a short stay it is easier to just keep the car.
We take 417 the Greenway. It is about 45 minutes and 6-7 dollars in tolls. I have seen a few speed traps along there within 20 minutes of the airport so watch your speed.
We live in Cleveland, so we would be flying out of chattanooga
Old 10-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
I have never been charged an online booking fee with Allegiant. The only payment fee I've seen is between debit & credit (it's a couple bucks more for the latter). Just to be sure, I checked both the receipt and my bank account and it is not there. (It's a flight I paid for last week that departs next week). There is a fee for calling them, but most airlines charge more for tickets purchased that way.

Last edited by QueenElinor; 10-20-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: missed a word
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElinor View Post
I have never been charged an online booking fee with Allegiant. The only payment fee I've seen is between debit & credit (it's a couple bucks more for the latter). Just to be sure, I checked both the receipt and my bank account and it is not there. (It's a flight I paid for last week that departs next week). There is a fee for calling them, but most airlines charge more for tickets purchased that way.
It's part of the fare. The only way to avoid their "convenience fee" is to book the ticket in-person at an Allegiant counter

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: