Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Disney Visa use question

I hope someone can tell me a couple simple answers, I can't seem to find it with the search, but probably because I am using the wrong wording.

Part 1: If already booked, is the remaining balance paid on the VISA, is that subject to the 0%, or only if initial booking?

Part 2: If balance is put on the card (regardless of % rate) does that still get the rewards to use on that cruise?

Part 3: not getting into credit cards vs. no credit cards, are you generally pleased with the card and how the rewards get to be used?

Thanks
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Rob S.
DIS Veteran

All payments made directly to DCL for the cruise qualify for the 6 months 0%. Onboard charges will not qualify. There is a loophole. Before your cruise, call and make a payment to add to you onboard account. That will qualify for the 6 months 0% (I have done it many times).

The rewards earned for the cruise payment would be eligable to be used as long as you have the time to transfer them to a rewards card.

I enjoy the rewards and use many of them even though it is not my primary card.
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyluke View Post
I hope someone can tell me a couple simple answers, I can't seem to find it with the search, but probably because I am using the wrong wording.

Part 1: If already booked, is the remaining balance paid on the VISA, is that subject to the 0%, or only if initial booking? yes, any payment made to DCL prior to boarding the ship will qualify for the no-interest promo; payments made after boarding will not

Part 2: If balance is put on the card (regardless of % rate) does that still get the rewards to use on that cruise? yes, you will earn reward points for cruise payment made on Disney Visa; whether or not you can use those points on that cruise depends on whether you have enough time to transfer the points to a reward card - if you order the card ahead of time, it's a very quick process to transfer points as long as your billing cycle has passed therefore making the points available

Part 3: not getting into credit cards vs. no credit cards, are you generally pleased with the card and how the rewards get to be used? yes, we like our Disney Visa - we only go to WDW (or DCL) every 2-3 years so we manage to accumulate quite a few points which I consider vacation savings

Thanks

answers in red
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyluke

Part 1: If already booked, is the remaining balance paid on the VISA, is that subject to the 0%, or only if initial booking?

Part 2: If balance is put on the card (regardless of % rate) does that still get the rewards to use on that cruise?

Part 3: not getting into credit cards vs. no credit cards, are you generally pleased with the card and how the rewards get to be used?

Thanks
1. Yes, there's a minimum payment amount required to get the 0% but any transaction over that amount are at 0% for 6 months from that transaction. The min may be $100. I've currently got three transactions tracked on my statement. The original deposit, new deposit for adding someone, and a $2K payment I made

2. Do you mean balance of the cruise? Yes. Any transaction earns Disney dollars. I upgraded to the Premier Visa and earned 5% rewards on these payments. They have been credited to my account even though I have not yet cruised.

3. It works for me. I got the card when they offered a very generous gift card with first purchase ($200, I believe). Now I got the 5% rewards that I will use for my onboard account. I have never paid a dime of interest on this account. After this trip, I'll probably cancel the card though. I find myself making some useless purchases just for those reward dollars!
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagoback View Post
1. Yes, there's a minimum payment amount required to get the 0% but any transaction over that amount are at 0% for 6 months from that transaction. The min may be $100. I've currently got three transactions tracked on my statement. The original deposit, new deposit for adding someone, and a $2K payment I made
i didn't think there was a minimum payment amount so i looked it up " The rate applies to purchases of $101 up to a maximum of $10,000 per transaction. " so they must have added that in the intervening years since I got mine i remembered the max of $10,000 but didn't remember any minimum.

so as another poster mentioned, if you add OBC to your account in advance or purchase transfers, or anything else before the cruise, as long as it's within that range it'll be eligible for the 6 months 0% interest.

you do have to order the rewards card in advance, you can't get it at the terminal although i think you can still get it at some places in WDW. they suggest 2 weeks and i think mine have come within a week. the rewards card is different than a gift card - it's used like a gift card but it has an expiration date unlike true gift cards. if you have any dollars on the card at expiration they are forfeit. (you have more than a year before the card expires so its not usually an issue) and you can call the Chase number and have dollars transferred instantly over the phone. for our one trip, the statement which had most of our rewards dollars ended during the trip , so i called up and within 5 minutes i had them transferred and then immediately used them to pay for dinner that night

the rewards dollars earned on your account do also expire after 5 years... but i don't think anyone's had a problem with that since the rewards card can be used at the disney stores and disneystore.com and can be used to purchase a gift card you shouldn't have to worry about that.

the regular card earns 1% everywhere, no special bonus' for disney spending or anything. so i use it as a card of last resort... if whatever i'm buying doesn't fit into a bonus rewards category on any of my other cards (like 5% or 2% back) then i'll drop it on the disney card if we have a trip planned. without a trip planned i do have some automatic bills charged to it like gym membership, cell phone, etc. without too much effort i get $20 per year and if we have a trip planned we put all the large purchases on it and can get a couple hundred. so yeah it's nice but you can get the same thing with a cashback rewards card... the benefits for us is the 0% financing and the shopping discounts (and one of these days i'm going to use that discount on special tours.... although i bet by the time we do that they'll drop that as a benefit )
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream
miztressuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Another benefit that I like is that if you're going to WDW, they have a special site in Innoventions where they take Character photographs just for Disney Visa cardholders (and that now includes the Disney Visa debit card). The lines generally aren't nearly as bad as most Character photo ops, and you get a free print from that photo shoot at the photo shop. I take advantage of that every time I go to WDW.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
momof3indianakids
Earning My Ears

Ok so I put $600 on for credit from my Disney visa and don't use it will it get credited back to my credit card of my
momof3indianakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3indianakids View Post
Ok so I put $600 on for credit from my Disney visa and don't use it will it get credited back to my credit card of my
If you have a pre-paid balance remaining in your onboard account at the end of the cruise, yes it will get credited back. They credit back to the same method used to make payment (CC, gift card, etc.). If you have used multiple payments methods or multiple credit cards, I'm not sure how they determine which gets the credit.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Another benefit that I like is that if you're going to WDW, they have a special site in Innoventions where they take Character photographs just for Disney Visa cardholders (and that now includes the Disney Visa debit card). The lines generally aren't nearly as bad as most Character photo ops, and you get a free print from that photo shoot at the photo shop. I take advantage of that every time I go to WDW.

Sayhello
yeah we finally did that the trip before last when it was just the 2 of us. every other trip we tried the line was crazy and we were with a bunch of kids (thankfully not ours ) that were tried of standing in line for characters... and without knowing what you'd get it was hard to keep them interested. we always pick the wrong time but that time it was very reasonable (10 minutes? maybe?) and we got a pic with mickey and pluto together. i also think that was the year we forgot about our photopass pictures and they expired so that freebie was the only professional shot we had ! thanks Disney Visa
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream
miztressuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
momof3indianakids
Earning My Ears

Ok say I have $400 in gift cards for tips and an excursion. How much more onboard credit should I put on? We aren't doing Remy or Palo. I might get a massage and husband a few drinks
momof3indianakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

One last thing - in order to get the $50 OBC, you MUST book everything (all deposits and payments) on your Disney Rewards Visa.

My .02...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3indianakids View Post
Ok say I have $400 in gift cards for tips and an excursion. How much more onboard credit should I put on? We aren't doing Remy or Palo. I might get a massage and husband a few drinks
Tips!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
One last thing - in order to get the $50 OBC, you MUST book everything (all deposits and payments) on your Disney Rewards Visa.

My .02...
Does it just appear as an OBC or do I have to do something? I did pay in full at booking, and it did appear on my statement in the 6 month extended payment section so it recognized it as a cruise.

Do I have to do anything else? I booked through a TA.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Does it just appear as an OBC or do I have to do something? I did pay in full at booking, and it did appear on my statement in the 6 month extended payment section so it recognized it as a cruise.

Do I have to do anything else? I booked through a TA.

Nancy
It will appear as an OBC, but TA needs to inform Disney. It does show on your documents as well.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the easy answers and tips. One more though, what card gets the 5% on Disney stuff? I see the regular (no fee) rewards card gets 1%, the Premier ($49 a year) gets 2% on gas, Disney, restaraunts, but I can't find the 5%, or is that a certain special offering?

A couple years of gas and nothing but the actual cost of the cruise should get us a couple hunderd bucks anyway. Other than it is a credit card like the rest and is evil, sounds pretty good!
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: